OK, i just screwed up my stock pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul When i took the covers off of them. (I was Scraping off the wax which was a bad idea to start with, and i screwed up the windings) I want to go with either Seymour Duncans or EMG's. I don't really want to drill my guitar for actives, but if i have to, i will. If i get the Duncans, i want to go passive, but if i get EMG's, i will go active. I planned on buying a Pearly Gates for the bridge and an AlNiCo II Pro for the neck. I play pretty much all types of music played on guitar except country. I mostly play Classic Rock, Classic Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative and i also play some Heavy Metal. My favorite guitarists are Slash, Tom Morello, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammett, and Synyster Gates. I play through a Marshall MG30DFX, but I'm upgrading to a Peavey ValveKing Halfstack soon. Should I stick with my combo, or go with something else?

Note: I really like the tone Slash gets with the AlNiCo II's when he uses his neck pickup, and i like my bridge pickup to be nice and crunchy, but also able to clean up enough to give a good low gain overdrive for blues stuff.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Aug 10, 2009,
New amp > New Pickups.

EMG's in a solid state sounds bad, and SD's in a SS wouldn't bring out the full sound of the pickups. Get either cheap pickups and wait until you get a new amp or get a new TUBE AMP!, not bigger, and get nice pickups.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

i'm gonna get the amp, but i have to get pickups first because the ones i have are completely useless. I F'ed up the windings, and now they sound like ****. Trust me, the pickups have to come first if i want to be able to even play my guitar.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
New amp > New Pickups.

EMG's in a solid state sounds bad, and SD's in a SS wouldn't bring out the full sound of the pickups. Get either cheap pickups and wait until you get a new amp or get a new TUBE AMP!, not bigger, and get nice pickups.

If i'm gonna get new pickups, i'm not getting cheap ones. I'm gonna get nice ones. I'm not replacing my pickups twice. I didn't ask if i should upgrade my amp, i said that i am going to, but i HAVE to get new pickups first because the ones i have are useless.
The battery for EMG's will fit in the les paul cavity. Atleast i've heard.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
i would say look at a low wattage tube amp, 15W max, maybe the new marshall class 5 coming out. as for slash tonw alnicho II sounds fine or maybe a hotter duncan in the bridge

Have you also considered dimarzio, they're airbuckers sound like they would suit you
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Beffyyy
i would say look at a low wattage tube amp, 15W max, maybe the new marshall class 5 coming out. as for slash tonw alnicho II sounds fine or maybe a hotter duncan in the bridge

Have you also considered dimarzio, they're airbuckers sound like they would suit you

I'm gonna stick with the 100w ValveKing Half Stack. It's a good deal, and i'm just starting up a band, so i will be jamming and giging (hopefully lol) soon and i want an amp that is gonna last me for a while. I'm not a big fan of Dimarzios. I know that they are a good pickup, but few of the bands i listen to use them. I would like to stick with Duncans, but if i decide on actives, i will go EMG. I'm still gonna check those Dimarzios out though, thanks.
Quote by Blktiger0
I'm gonna stick with the 100w ValveKing Half Stack. It's a good deal, and i'm just starting up a band, so i will be jamming and giging (hopefully lol) soon and i want an amp that is gonna last me for a while. I'm not a big fan of Dimarzios. I know that they are a good pickup, but few of the bands i listen to use them. I would like to stick with Duncans, but if i decide on actives, i will go EMG. I'm still gonna check those Dimarzios out though, thanks.

Really now, You sound like youll be an absolute cover band.
Just because its their sound doesnt mean it wont be played well as your tone etc.
If your just starting a band, You dont need go down to pup extremes to sound like your influences
You play a crunch, get a crunchier one,
You like tight distortion, fit that.
Not them, You.
Im not going to pull out the cheesy be yourself arguement,
But seriously.
Till Death Do Us Part
So Die
Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, Pearly Gates in the neck - steer clear of the Alnico Pro 2, that's only really a viable option if you have a kick ass amp that sounds exactly the way you want. The Pearly Gates has a little more going on harmonically so has more character. You don't want a Pearly Gates in the bridge either given the variety of stuff you want to play, it'll mush up under higher gain and you'll lose definition, you really need an Alnico 5 magnet there to give you a bit more high end response and tighter bass.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get seymour duncans. They sound awesome, don't believe me? Listen to Slash.

You believe me.
Quote by SamuraiLP
Really now, You sound like youll be an absolute cover band.
Just because its their sound doesnt mean it wont be played well as your tone etc.
If your just starting a band, You dont need go down to pup extremes to sound like your influences
You play a crunch, get a crunchier one,
You like tight distortion, fit that.
Not them, You.
Im not going to pull out the cheesy be yourself arguement,
But seriously.

Ok, I'm not just using the pickups because Slash uses them and i like his sound. I'm using them because the style of music i listen to and want to play is generally played on these pickups. I only listen to 2 Dimarzio users, Steve Vai and John Petrucci. Actually, i only listen to John out of those 2, but i have one song on my ipod by Steve. Their sound is nothing similar to what i want. That's like telling someone that wants to play metal not to get active pickups because they'll just be a cover band. I'm not buying the pickups because they are a signature model, but because i like the brand. You might as well tell every Les Paul buyer that they are just gonna be a Jimmy Page cover band. I know i want my own sound. I want to have my own unique style and feel. Just because i use that same pickups as someone else deosn't mean i'm gonna play just like them.

Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, Pearly Gates in the neck - steer clear of the Alnico Pro 2, that's only really a viable option if you have a kick ass amp that sounds exactly the way you want. The Pearly Gates has a little more going on harmonically so has more character. You don't want a Pearly Gates in the bridge either given the variety of stuff you want to play, it'll mush up under higher gain and you'll lose definition, you really need an Alnico 5 magnet there to give you a bit more high end response and tighter bass.

Thanks, man. I think I'll probably go with the custom 5. Sounds like pretty much exactly what i want, my only question is when i rol a little off of the tone knob to get that creamy sustained kind of sound, am i gonna lose all of my punch or do the 5's preform well with a little tone rolled off? Will i even have to turn the tone down any to get that kind of sound? Some more info on them would be awesome. I'll check them out on Youtube and on the Duncan website.
I just checked out the website, and there was no way to hear the Custom 5 in the neck position, so i checked out the full shred. It's still an AlNiCo 5 magnet, and it is supposedly more articulate than the Custom 5. i liked the sound it put out too. Any thoughts on this, steven seagull?
Hmm- I like this combo- and it would sound good in a Les Paul Style
Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucker
Seymour Duncan ’59 SH1N Humbucker

Also, the Duncan Distortion is pretty nice as well...
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Blktiger0
Ok, I'm not just using the pickups because Slash uses them and i like his sound. I'm using them because the style of music i listen to and want to play is generally played on these pickups. I only listen to 2 Dimarzio users, Steve Vai and John Petrucci. Actually, i only listen to John out of those 2, but i have one song on my ipod by Steve. Their sound is nothing similar to what i want. That's like telling someone that wants to play metal not to get active pickups because they'll just be a cover band. I'm not buying the pickups because they are a signature model, but because i like the brand. You might as well tell every Les Paul buyer that they are just gonna be a Jimmy Page cover band. I know i want my own sound. I want to have my own unique style and feel. Just because i use that same pickups as someone else deosn't mean i'm gonna play just like them.

Thanks, man. I think I'll probably go with the custom 5. Sounds like pretty much exactly what i want, my only question is when i rol a little off of the tone knob to get that creamy sustained kind of sound, am i gonna lose all of my punch or do the 5's preform well with a little tone rolled off? Will i even have to turn the tone down any to get that kind of sound? Some more info on them would be awesome. I'll check them out on Youtube and on the Duncan website.

You seem to be under the impression that pickup swaps drastically change your sound. Pickups mostly tweak what you already have. If you have alnico 2 pros, that dosen't mean you'll get a slash tone, if you have emgs dosen't mean you'll get a metallica tone. Amp is what makes most of the tone. If your set on a valveking stack then fine, but there are better amps out there to get the sound you want.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Seeing as you're going for a 100w half stack soon, why not try a pair of Wilde 500XL's. They are cheap. They have great definition. They are not as loud as some other passives but loud will not be your problem. They will certainly suit all the styles you mentioned but maybe give your sound a little bit of difference. Otherwise, spend another $150 and fit EMG's. You are either going to sell your SS amp or use it only for home practice so using actives through it won't offend anyone. (actually, they'll still sound better than the stock Epis.)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Blktiger0
I just checked out the website, and there was no way to hear the Custom 5 in the neck position, so i checked out the full shred. It's still an AlNiCo 5 magnet, and it is supposedly more articulate than the Custom 5. i liked the sound it put out too. Any thoughts on this, steven seagull?

You wouldn't put a Custom 5 in the neck...a Pearly Gates or 59 would work better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
STOP TELLING HIM TO GET A NEW AMP IDIOTS.
His current ones are screwed up.
New P'ups, bad amp > Destroyed P'ups, a cheap valve amp.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by fishermanbob
STOP TELLING HIM TO GET A NEW AMP IDIOTS.
His current ones are screwed up.
New P'ups, bad amp > Destroyed P'ups, a cheap valve amp.

Finally someone gets it.

I think i am just gonna go with a Pearly Gates in the Bridge and Full Shred in the neck, or a set of Full Shreds. Thanks for all the help, guys. If anyone has anything against this pup configuration or if anyone wants to suggest anything else, please do because i won't be buying these for a while and i will still monitor this thread.
I'd have said a Pearly Gates in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge, but I'm late to the party.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Oosh.
The battery for EMG's will fit in the les paul cavity. Atleast i've heard.

plenty of room...i have an EMG 81/85 set up on my Zakk Wylde Rebel and love it

Quote by Blktiger0

I think, that before you, decide to jump onto a new set of pickups, that you should really think about what you actually want them to sound like. Unless you know exactly what kind of tone you want, you're just stabbing away in the dark, and who is to say that a Dimarzio is not what you're looking for? Because your favorite bands don't use them? Few bands you listen to probably use the Valve King and that also has a huge effect on your tone.

I know everyone just wants to get new pickups, because they're a fun thing to experiment with, but honestly, do you have any idea what the custom 5 even sounds like? Or what "Duncans" even sound like? The difference in tone between various Duncan models can be much larger than the difference in tone between a Duncan and Dimarzio.

As for your windings being screwed up? So the current pickup sounds like ****? That doesn't make much sense.... because if there is a break in the windings, then your pickup doesn't make a sound at all.

I'm not trying to sway you against buying a new pickup, but I highly suggest you take some time to find out what these things sound like before letting over-zealousness about buying a set of new pickups driving you into what is essentially an impulse purchase.

Think of it this way, most people will tell you that the '59, Seth Lover, Pearly Gates and Alnico II pro are all good for classic rock, and yet, every single one of these sound different from one another. So how would you really know which is the one you want?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 16, 2009,