i was thinking about getting a Vox amp instead of a Marshall Haze. Which one should I get? I play mainly Classic Rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen, etc.) and I have been told to get a Custon Classic AC15cc1. I was also looking at a Valvetronix. The thing is, I have only owned a Marshall MG15DFX. I didn't get a chance to play a Vox when I was at a store that sold them (Dietze Music House, in Omaha) Are they any good for what I play? (My budget is up to $800)

EDIT: I plan to play smaller to medium gigs with it
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Aug 10, 2009,
The AC15cc is alot better than the Valvetronix imo.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i would go for the ac15 similar to the ac30 witch both jimmy and brian may use, plus you could have money left for a nice pedal
I love my AC15. I've done the bright cap mod (very simple) and changed the tubes. It's a great amp, IMO.

I'm not sure that is has the clean headroom for medium gigs unmiked, but it does have the clean headroom for small gigs unmiked. If it's miked, it should handle anything.
For 800 you might be able to find a used AC30CC, maybe the 1x12. The 15 sounds rather different from the 30, but they're both excellent especially for what you play. If you can't find a used AC30 at that price the AC15 will be great.
You may want to look at the Night Train instead, by the way. It's 'Bright' channel is AC15-ish, but it's 'Thick' channel has more gain and voiced differently. Better for heavier tones.
go for it the ac15 is a fantastic amp, if y ou can get ahold of the 30 get that tho it is better imo
~Defiant~
AC15, gives u the tone u want, and i hgear the haze is too overrated and not that good
if u can spring for a bit more get the AC30, or get it used
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
I here people say the AC15s have crunch. Do you mean it has good distortion when turned up? Cause I've seen the tops, and they don't have different channels, or I might be mistaken...

Also, I should probably get an overdrive pedal too, huh?
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Airline-Olie
i would go for the ac15 similar to the ac30 witch both jimmy and brian may use, plus you could have money left for a nice pedal

While you're technically correct, I always grin a bit when somebody recommends an amp because Page played it - he's played pretty much EVERYTHING at some point during his career.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
While you're technically correct, I always grin a bit when somebody recommends an amp because Page played it - he's played pretty much EVERYTHING at some point during his career.

The guy used a Soldano and still sounded like Page, it's his fingers really for his tone, no amp could get you Pages tone if you play like a noob with no technique.

That being said, Page used a tone of amps, he may have used a AC30 for Ten Years Gone and maybe Whole Lotta Love i think.
I played an AC30 last friday through an Epi Slash goldtop and those were AMAZING cleans... I had an eargasm. I hate the VT series with a passion but I love the AC and Night Train.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I own 40+ amps and I suggested VOX AC30CC.Do not buy vintage AC30 if you do not wish to have problems with repairing.
AC30CC have much more than vintage does.You will get most important-Master volume and switch 30-22 watt (real class A).
And you can(If you wish) later update with Mercury Magnetic trannies and another speakers(G12M) and better tubes.And there you can compare amp with another vintage AC30 for sound,
there's alot of reviews on harmony central talking about the custom classics sounding harsh and sharp. There's also alot of complaints about reliability with fuses breaking and stuff like that. Is this common among these amps? i've been looking into this amp too
The AC30 can be harsher than some amps with single coils, but it's really manageable once you get the hang of the different EQ setup and the speakers break in.

The fuse issue happened with some of the earlier versions but that was a rectifier tube issue that's since been fixed. Even if you get one of the earlier versions used it's an easy fix.
the night train sadly disappointed me.

i suggest an ac15 or a used ac30, both are amazing.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
When I think of Vox amps, I think of the high pitched/trebly/ tone of Brian May. While I like that tone, I was wondering if the Vox AC15 can get the Led Zeppelin-style tone. You know, harsher, more distoreded? Can it?