I've been playing 6 months, I know open chords, barre chords, (basics of caged) the minor pentatonic, learning the "caged positions" of the major scale avec justinguitar, and can play stuff like pull the plug by death w/o solo, enter sandman, and a bunch of metal riffs. I'd say I'm pretty good with power chords as well, and if I had to class myself as a "mainly" player, I'd say rhythm.. Well, because I fail at leads, tbh. I try writing my own stuff, the rhythm is good, but the leads suck. They're rooted on the minor pentatonic, but when I learn other scales, I'll incorporate/use them. This leads me on to my 2 questions...

1. How could I become better at my leads? I try to make them up on the spot, but I can't do that, so have to plan out etc.. I want to become better at this, learning little licks, cool lead stuff etc. as I fail hard at lead..

2. I'm going to be buying a music theory book, is music theory for dummies a good place to start? And will this theory help me with being better with leads? Or just help with overall knowledge, like crazy scales and modes to incorparate into my basic minor pentatonic lead? Also, I don't want all knowledge to get into the way of my current learning, which is off justinguitar. I've been distracted so many ****ing times already, I want to stick with this course, but I don't want the theory to get away with this.
I've read music theory for dummies, actually. Most of it's pretty basic, but there's a lot of other stuff in there that I didn't know about (cadences, some intervals, etc.) The for dummies books are really good - a lot more informative and more interesting than most other books on the subjects. I'd also recommend reading Rock Guitar for Dummies. I own that book, and it's really helpful for playing leads, especially when coupled with the Theory for Dummies. After reading Music Theory, you could read Music Composition for Dummies. It's like the next level up. You don't have to buy all of these books; that would burn a hole in your wallet. You should be able to find a few the books your looking for at your local library.
Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist by Tom Dempsey is a great book to use as a jumping off point.

amazon it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Seriously, you've only been playing for 6 months, your lead playing isn't going to be THAT great. But at first, use the pentatonics, and learn basic licks and easy solos and all that (for easy ones, go for like Knocking On Heavens Door by Guns N' Roses, or Don't Look Back In Anger, and use little licks from those solos and other licks or whoever and all that, and you'll create a solo simples like).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrz1H24Yv1s

There's a video that might get you started on solos.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Seriously, you've only been playing for 6 months, your lead playing isn't going to be THAT great. But at first, use the pentatonics, and learn basic licks and easy solos and all that (for easy ones, go for like Knocking On Heavens Door by Guns N' Roses, or Don't Look Back In Anger, and use little licks from those solos and other licks or whoever and all that, and you'll create a solo simples like).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrz1H24Yv1s

There's a video that might get you started on solos.

Nice, his videos seem quite helpful, what whas his channel called?
Aha buddy u kicked my little ass from when i was playing after 6 months. I read the theory for dummies book and it was pretty helpful, it gives u a good foundation to build upon to take it up a notch.

But kid keep going the way you are and i reckon you will have no problems
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
Aha buddy u kicked my little ass from when i was playing after 6 months. I read the theory for dummies book and it was pretty helpful, it gives u a good foundation to build upon to take it up a notch.

But kid keep going the way you are and i reckon you will have no problems

You the "proficient" dude?

Yeah, I thought you said you could play MoP straight through, then you said you could only play the rhythm, and I was slightly pissed off at something esle as well, so sorry haha
Quote by Lollage123
You the "proficient" dude?

Yeah, I thought you said you could play MoP straight through, then you said you could only play the rhythm, and I was slightly pissed off at something esle as well, so sorry haha

Excuse me i think u got me confused with someone else.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs