Is it worth me getting a cheap £50 Squier Affinity Telecaster off ebay and fit a p90 in the neck?

I would like a guitar to play bit of jazz and blues and thought it might sound good. Would the tone be worth it or just a waste of a good p90 pickup?
I think we're twins mate, My name is mikey and I'm buying an Affinity tele for £55 tomorrow and am planning on putting a p90 in the neck...

I say go for it!
What amp do you have?

The Affinity is a solid guitar.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I put some £100 lace sensors in a cheapo £50-ish strat copy and kind of regret it now. It doesn't really sound anything super amazing (though has a quite different tone altogether to my other, real strat).

If you can afford a nice set of P90s you can probably afford a slightly better Tele.

edit: nothing against the affinity though, i've never played or heard one.
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by bv310
What amp do you have?

The Affinity is a solid guitar.

I have an epiphone valve special
To the guy above you, I respectfully disagree. I've seen Affinities that sound awesome, when played through a good amp.

EDIT: That's a pretty good "blank-slate" amp iirc, so the pickups will actually help your tone considerably.

Last edited by bv310 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by bv310
^I respectfully disagree. I've seen Affinities that sound awesome, when played through a good amp.
Yeah, I own an Affinity Tele (stock pickups) and through my brother's Hot Rod Deluxe it sounds ****ing amazing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Yeah, I never bought into the whole "amp is tone" thing until I picked up a tube amp two weeks ago. My MIM sounds epic now.

EDIT: Only problem with the Affinity I can think of is that you may need to upgrade the tuners/nut.

P-90 at the neck of a Tele might be interesting, but you're overlooking the biggest problem.
Mounting the damned thing. You won't have enough clearance for a surface mount dogear.
Routing to the right depth to mount a soapbar directly to the body and/or shimming it to the right height wouldn't be too hard. But then you need a critical alignment of the pickguard opening or it won't look too pretty.

Probably the most sensible would be to mount a soapbar to a plate with threaded holes at the ends and mount it to the pickguard like a conventional SC or HB.

In any case, this will take a bit of custom work, not just drop-in.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
P-90 at the neck of a Tele might be interesting, but you're overlooking the biggest problem.
Mounting the damned thing. You won't have enough clearance for a surface mount dogear.
Routing to the right depth to mount a soapbar directly to the body and/or shimming it to the right height wouldn't be too hard. But then you need a critical alignment of the pickguard opening or it won't look too pretty.

Probably the most sensible would be to mount a soapbar to a plate with threaded holes at the ends and mount it to the pickguard like a conventional SC or HB.

In any case, this will take a bit of custom work, not just drop-in.

I knew this would be my next problem. As I have no guitar modding experience I thought I would have trouble fitting it in.

What tools would I need to fit the p90 bearing in mind I'm going for a cheap guitar.
sabre saw, router, grinder, drill, set of taps, files, soldering iron.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.