I was walking past my local second hand shop today and I saw a Marshall pre amp. Written on the front of it there was 'Marshall Slave 100' and 'HQC15' does any one know what I'm looking at, it's only £50 and if it's any good it might be worth a look.

Also, more general info on pre-amps, what do they do? As that might be a pretty broad question, when used alongside a tube amp what would they do? Are they just for use with a power amp like in rack-mount gear?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

if i'm not mistaken, i THINK (keyword: think) the preamp takes the signal from the pickups, which is a pretty weak one, and boosts it so it can go through the power amp. also, i'm pretty sure this is where distortion and effects are applied to the signal
Quote by mashizz
if i'm not mistaken, i THINK (keyword: think) the preamp takes the signal from the pickups, which is a pretty weak one, and boosts it so it can go through the power amp. also, i'm pretty sure this is where distortion and effects are applied to the signal

That is what they do. The preamp amplifies up the tone form the pickups and adds and EQ and tone shaping elements. The gain knob controls how much of that signal is going into the amp and the more going in, the more distortion you get. After that the power amp amplifies that signal to the speakers and the master volume controls how much of the preamp signal goes into the poweramp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^correct.

they are used with power amps, but you can use them with a conventional amp by plugging the output of the preamp into the FX loop return jack. this is essentialy the same as going into a poweramp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^It is the same.

Slave heads are amps that are made with a power amp only. Orange amps for example had a "Slave-out" where you could connect it into a slave head, thus achieving more power (two poweramps) but just ahving one preamp.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

So, will there be much point in plugging this into my JCM900? It just caught my eye as I was walking past really and didn't know what I was looking at.

What would be the pros & cons of doing it really?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Not really.

The pros was that back in the 70's when you were playing large places you could add a slave head. Back then they didn't mic amps that often. Say normally use a 100W Marshall full stack. But now it's a big gi and you need more power. Instead of getting more amps you get a slave. So you plug into your normal amp, but then you add an extra slave with another set of cabinets. So now you have 200W of power through 4 cabs without having to have another amp (which would need more money and maintenance). But today we mic up amps and similar and you wouldn't need the extra power.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band