Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to upgrade my rig off from the entry level crap i'm on now. I'm 15, turning 16 soon so i can finally get a job. This means that I'll finally have some of my own money to spend on improving my gear so I need to decide on an Amp. Guitar wise, i've already decided on the Fender Custom Tele HH. (Pretty much what Jim Root plays but with Duncans instead of EMG's and no name-tag so it's £200 cheaper YAY). I play a lot of modern rock and Metal along with some older more bluesy rock but this is a side-note. I'm playing in a Metal band at the moment although we've just started but there's quite a few places to get gigs where i live so we expect to be gigging. What i want is a good Metal tone but something that can fit 'MY' tone. This comprises of:

-Plenty of Gain for thick chugging
-Articulation of higher notes (Like, when i'm playing low thick chords i want the brightness of the higher notes to cut through)
-Good Clean tone with reverb (Always useful for breakdowns and build ups)
-Screaming Lead tone

This'll be my first valve amp so i want something decent to introduce me to the world of real tone. However, the ValveKing 112 is right on the edge of my budget. Are there any cheaper alternatives that can contest it?

Just as a sad side-note, the other guitarist in my band is about to buy a secondhand Spider III 75W, no matter what i do he won't leave it because he loves the Delay effect or summin, it's sad.
Can't get a B-52 as i'm in the UK, unless you know somewhere i could still get it.
Quote by willT08
I'm looking to upgrade my rig off from the entry level crap i'm on now. I'm 15, turning 16 soon so i can finally get a job. This means that I'll finally have some of my own money to spend on improving my gear so I need to decide on an Amp. Guitar wise, i've already decided on the Fender Custom Tele HH. (Pretty much what Jim Root plays but with Duncans instead of EMG's and no name-tag so it's £200 cheaper YAY). I play a lot of modern rock and Metal along with some older more bluesy rock but this is a side-note. I'm playing in a Metal band at the moment although we've just started but there's quite a few places to get gigs where i live so we expect to be gigging. What i want is a good Metal tone but something that can fit 'MY' tone. This comprises of:

-Plenty of Gain for thick chugging
-Articulation of higher notes (Like, when i'm playing low thick chords i want the brightness of the higher notes to cut through)
-Good Clean tone with reverb (Always useful for breakdowns and build ups)
-Screaming Lead tone

This'll be my first valve amp so i want something decent to introduce me to the world of real tone. However, the ValveKing 112 is right on the edge of my budget. Are there any cheaper alternatives that can contest it?

Just as a sad side-note, the other guitarist in my band is about to buy a secondhand Spider III 75W, no matter what i do he won't leave it because he loves the Delay effect or summin, it's sad.

Wow, kick that douche out of the band...
no b-52

valve king would be a very good choice, affordable, powerful. im thinking about getting one and i have a jcm2000
As I've said many times before and as you would have read if you used the search feature...the VK is a decent amp, but for anything heavier than hard rock/classic metal, look for something else.
As sad as you think it is for your friend to want this spider 3, there is acctually a line 6 valve within your budget.

Line 6 Vavle 112, 212, and of course the head and the cab(with 4 12s)

My friend has one and it absoluetly spoils me, it is pure clean awesome tone, with all the presets of the spider 3. If you dont trust me, try it out for yourself.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by RoughDraft274
Wow, kick that douche out of the band...

I can't really, me and him are best mates and we started the whole band, lol. He's been playing twice as long as me. He rapes me at playing but doesn't know shi* about amps or guitars.
Blackstar HT-5? I personally dont own one, but they're spoken of highly in GG&A. Although I dont know if it will do Metal by itself.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
might wanna look at new bugeras as they are tube and you will be able to customize your sound better. The vk is good but its very limited to its models
~Defiant~
Quote by Jason43
As I've said many times before and as you would have read if you used the search feature...the VK is a decent amp, but for anything heavier than hard rock/classic metal, look for something else.

I play all kinds of metal on my Vk112... I swapped the stock speaker with an Eminence Man 'O War... It brought my amp to life! I would highly recommend a speaker swap for the Vk
Epi Les Paul (SD JB and SD Jazz (Both coil-split))
Ibanez RG Prestige (w/ killswitch)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Valveking 112 (w/ Man O War)
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Dunlop allas Arbiter Fuzz Face
BOSS DD-3 Delay
BOSS ML-2 MetalCore Distortion
Quote by Vypor
As sad as you think it is for your friend to want this spider 3, there is acctually a line 6 valve within your budget.

Line 6 Vavle 112, 212, and of course the head and the cab(with 4 12s)

My friend has one and it absoluetly spoils me, it is pure clean awesome tone, with all the presets of the spider 3. If you dont trust me, try it out for yourself.

yea, the valve bogner line 6 amps are truley amazing. they can dial almost any sound you want, ive played every size, the 112, 212, and stack and they were all great. definatly try one, youll be shocked
Quote by Jason43

He could get an OD pedal or something, which will give him more gain, and a bit more control of the EQ and all that. Which is good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I looked at the Bugera 6260 212 once but it was a bit pricey. Is there not something just as good but in like a 112 version?
Quote by alexdoabismo
Blackstar HT-5? I personally dont own one, but they're spoken of highly in GG&A. Although I dont know if it will do Metal by itself.

I've never played one but anyway i don't think 5W will be enough for any sized venues.
if you are in the UK look at some lanyes and marshalls. they are better deals there than peavey
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'm gonna say no to the Marshalls as they just don't compete until you get to very high end amps. Laneys....eh, i'll have a look around.
Quote by willT08
I've never played one but anyway i don't think 5W will be enough for any sized venues.

If you Mic it it will.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by willT08
I'm gonna say no to the Marshalls as they just don't compete until you get to very high end amps. Laneys....eh, i'll have a look around.

Whats your budget?
Just out of interest, what's the deal with Amp heads? Can you use them as standalone amps or do they have to be hooked up to a Cab.
Quote by willT08
Just out of interest, what's the deal with Amp heads? Can you use them as standalone amps or do they have to be hooked up to a Cab.

they need a cabinet with speakers than can handle the wattage output of the amp and the same impendence(sp) rating
Really, i don't wanna spend more than £350. Would stretch to 400 for a really nice amp but i'd rather not. Remember, i'm only 15 so this is a lot of money for me to be spending. Just that recently i haven't been motivated to play because my setup is so bad and this is stopping me from practicing. To be fair, guitar is something i'm gonna be doing for at least the next 50 years so it's worth it.
you know what get the 112 and let the other guy buy the line sh*tzz

vk112 50 watts the other crap 75 watts and he`ll be begging you to turn your volume down

the vk212 is the better combo though. (mine was ex-demo and only paid £300)
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you know what get the 112 and let the other guy the line sh*tzz

vk112 50 watts the other crap 75 watts and he`ll be begging you to turn your volume down

the vk212 is the better combo though. (mine was ex-demo and only paid £300)

Yeah, i think (once i try one out) that this'll be how i spend my money. Then maybe do what some other guy said and replace the speaker because i've read a few complaints about the speaker so i'll probably go with the Eminence whatever it was.
I don't personally find the Valveking to be all that great for metal. Bottom end is kinda loose and flabby.
Quote by fretz86
I don't personally find the Valveking to be all that great for metal. Bottom end is kinda loose and flabby.

Apparently a speaker change sorts this out
Will Stop bull****ting :P we haven't even started the band yet. It's just me and you in it..
As for the spider 3, i wanted to get it because it's cheap, it doesn't have to be powerful because it would just be used for practice at home, and it's a simple alternative to pedals for effects for making my sound better. It also has awesome overdrive and channels are easy to set and switch between. Happy?
And for the record, i choose to learn about actually playing the guitar instead of the amps and guitar parts. In the end of the day, being able to play a song is better than making a song that you can't play sound slightly better?
Lots of love
Jack
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
my namez jak
Quote by alexdoabismo

It would need to be mic'd for gigs. And I can't get the Metal sound i want (that everyone else seems to be getting by the way it's talked about) out of mine I have to use a pedal for metal. I can only get Black Sabbath at heaviest

Quote by crebeley
Will Stop bull****ting :P we haven't even started the band yet. It's just me and you in it..
As for the spider 3, i wanted to get it because it's cheap, it doesn't have to be powerful because it would just be used for practice at home, and it's a simple alternative to pedals for effects for making my sound better. It also has awesome overdrive and channels are easy to set and switch between. Happy?
And for the record, i choose to learn about actually playing the guitar instead of the amps and guitar parts. In the end of the day, being able to play a song is better than making a song that you can't play sound slightly better?
Lots of love
Jack
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Possible troll is possible.... But that is the best try I've ever seen unless that actually is the same kid lol
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by crebeley
In the end of the day, being able to play a song is better than making a song that you can't play sound slightly better?
Lots of love
Jack
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes.

wow, you should REALLY kick that guy out of your "band".
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
Yes.

wow, you should REALLY kick that guy out of your "band".

Me or willT08?
my namez jak
both.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by crebeley
Lots of love
Jack
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

epic
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by crebeley
Lots of love
Jack
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope you're not serious, but just in case...

I don't think you understand how bad the Spider is. The tone on it is muddy enough that it actually makes it hard to practice, and the distortion is really unusable in a live situation. And as for the effects, you're either going to have to buy the fairly expensive footswitch, or deal with having to reach over to the amp to turn your sub-standard effects on and off. You really would be better off getting a different amp. If you need something cheap go for a Peavey Bandit or Envoy...very good tone for SS amps.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I hope you're not serious, but just in case...

I don't think you understand how bad the Spider is. The tone on it is muddy enough that it actually makes it hard to practice, and the distortion is really unusable in a live situation. And as for the effects, you're either going to have to buy the fairly expensive footswitch, or deal with having to reach over to the amp to turn your sub-standard effects on and off. You really would be better off getting a different amp. If you need something cheap go for a Peavey Bandit or Envoy...very good tone for SS amps.

from what i've seen of the spider 3, (about 2 and a half hours use) it works fine. I wouldn't be using it in live situations however. not yet anyway, most equipment is offered at the gigs i play by my school so i haven't had a need yet. The sound works for me. Why is the distortion unusable live though? im curious. If i like the distortion settings then surely when it's miced up to play live it'll sound just the same?
Jack
my namez jak
Quote by Random3
The Valveking will only be good at metal if you get some extra pedals (OD and EQ). Check out the Valveking thread for some tips

^This actually helps a lot.

In case you won't have the cash to buy both, get a good pedal to push the drive some more and you should be fine. To be honest the B-52 mentioned before sounds like a better buy for you.

I don't get why people don't think the VK is suitable for Metal. It's not the best, but it can handle it. And every time someone tries to argue with me I get that technical mumbo jumbo...

@Jack: 2 and a half hours is nowhere near long enough for a Spider to truly start sucking. The overall tone is bad in our ears, and over time the sound seems to almost fade. I heard the amp also has the worst case of string popping. If you're getting a line 5 Valve plz./
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by ZeroCS
^This actually helps a lot.

In case you won't have the cash to buy both, get a good pedal to push the drive some more and you should be fine. To be honest the B-52 mentioned before sounds like a better buy for you.

I don't get why people don't think the VK is suitable for Metal. It's not the best, but it can handle it. And every time someone tries to argue with me I get that technical mumbo jumbo...

@Jack: 2 and a half hours is nowhere near long enough for a Spider to truly start sucking. The overall tone is bad in our ears, and over time the sound seems to almost fade. I heard the amp also has the worst case of string popping. If you're getting a line 5 Valve plz./

Ill try and not be too technical

Valvekings can handle metal. But by adding an OD it pushes the amp firmly into metal territory, and an EQ gives you more tonal options, letting you make the VK sound like it can not only handle metal, but do it very well
Page 1 of 2