I was looking at monitors and noticed that Sweetwater doesn't carry KRK. I was thinking about buying some when i get enough money but since Sweetwater doesn't carry them is there maybe something wrong with them? Are they not "professional" enough?
Quote by strat335
I was looking at monitors and noticed that Sweetwater doesn't carry KRK. I was thinking about buying some when i get enough money but since Sweetwater doesn't carry them is there maybe something wrong with them? Are they not "professional" enough?

i'd have to say no. as a owner of them my self theyre really good for 300$ (and plenty loud) ive seen them in numerous project studios on youtube/internet which got good results. They should produce good mixes and i was recommended to it by a knowledgable staff member at samash (i did an assload of research on stuff when i got my recording rig and everything the guy was saying was right, hes my new bro at samash ) also catharisstudios (a forum user) uses them and his mixes are really tight and of high quality, of course thats because he knows how to use his equipment well.
KRKs are fine, not my preference, but there's nothing wrong with them IMO.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I lurk in this section of the forum a lot and I've noticed CatharsisStudio's mixes are really tight as well. any wonders as to why Sweetwater doesn't stock KRKs?
Quote by strat335
I lurk in this section of the forum a lot and I've noticed CatharsisStudio's mixes are really tight as well. any wonders as to why Sweetwater doesn't stock KRKs?

Some places just don't stock stuff from certain brands. Happens a lot, MF didn't stock Genelecs until recently.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I prefer Genelec to be honest, and "CatharsisStudio uses it/them" isn't a good enough excuse to buy anything, read reviews for god sake!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/krkrokit.htm
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Sonny_sam
I prefer Genelec to be honest, and "CatharsisStudio uses it/them" isn't a good enough excuse to buy anything, read reviews for god sake!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/krkrokit.htm

yes i do realize that, but its nice to know what they're capable of in good hands. i also agree that reading reviews is good, but isnt a great mix better than a good review? obviously you dont make a big decision such as monitors on one guy using them but it sure as hell helps
Quote by strat335

They are the lower end monitors and most studios probably wont use them however for home use they are outstanding and this poll clearly shows it

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27796

They have got to be the only monitors in the lower end that I would even consider buying TBH.

Not sure why sweetwater doesnt carry them but MF, Zzounds, and Guitar Center do.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Genelecs are awesome, but they are a hell of a lot more expensive than KRKs.

Yep but most things come down to price in the end if you think about it.

Studio monitors are what feed the sound back to you so you can tweak it...so most people want good accurate monitors.
How much should someone spend on monitors?
Well to answer that you have to ask yourself how important is your studio?
Will you be competing with the best of the best studios around your area?...or is your studio just for fun and based at home?
So many factors to put into the little equation however the end choice comes down to what you choose to do.

I personally have been mixing on Grado Labs SR80 cans for a good 2.5 years and have no complaints. I however don't do audio work too often and therefore don't need a high end set of monitors. Eventually I will get a set of 6" KRKs though as they are a nice thing to have when mixing sounds for video.