Hey everyone, this is my cover of Swing Life Away by Rise Against. It's a beautiful acoustic song (although my voice may have ruined that ), so please listen to this and crit it for me. I'll crit you right back .

If you could also tell me if I could do anything better recording I'd appreciate it. I recorded with Audacity.

Edit: The song is on my profile by the way
Ok I'm gonna give you some good comments and some bad comments.

First of all, the singing is nearly spot on I gotta say. I wish I could hold the same notes you can singing this song.

Second - good lord is that actually a guitar you're playing? It sounds ****ing terrible. Either you don't have a proper guitar tuner or you need some more practice playing guitar (you're voice is pretty good so I'm going to assume the latter). Keep practicing though and that song is gonna sound great (maybe look for a guitar pro tab and slow it down to get the rhythm just right).

If you're not totally offended by that comment then could you crit me

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178752
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
I'm guessing you haven't been playing long, and I'm guessing your recording equipment totals about $10 haha.

I thought it was good. Great effort on all parts...the clipping/distortion was expected due to the mic you were using, but I liked your voice and for a somewhat beginning guitarist, I thought you did a pretty good job. I used to record on one of the $10 mics too, and I couldn't get it any better than this haha.

So nice voice. Work on guitar a bit more and overall flow, and I think you could have a very solid cover.

Check out my cover of the same song, it's in my profile. Comment if you feel like it!
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by Greenfinger182
I'm guessing you haven't been playing long, and I'm guessing your recording equipment totals about $10 haha.

I thought it was good. Great effort on all parts...the clipping/distortion was expected due to the mic you were using, but I liked your voice and for a somewhat beginning guitarist, I thought you did a pretty good job. I used to record on one of the $10 mics too, and I couldn't get it any better than this haha.

So nice voice. Work on guitar a bit more and overall flow, and I think you could have a very solid cover.

Check out my cover of the same song, it's in my profile. Comment if you feel like it!

You're exactly right about the equipment and amount I've been playing. Plus my acoustic is a P.O.S. I'm much better at electric, I promise. I almost think I should just re-do this with my electric on clean.

Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
First of all, the singing is nearly spot on I gotta say. I wish I could hold the same notes you can singing this song.

Second - good lord is that actually a guitar you're playing? It sounds ****ing terrible. Either you don't have a proper guitar tuner or you need some more practice playing guitar (you're voice is pretty good so I'm going to assume the latter). Keep practicing though and that song is gonna sound great (maybe look for a guitar pro tab and slow it down to get the rhythm just right).

Thanks for the compliment about the singing. I'm more defensive about my singing than my guitar playing. I've played guitar for less than two months so I wouldn't say I'm awful. As I said before I'm much better on electric. Plus I recorded these as two seperate tracks so It was hard to get the timing.

Edit: Green I listened to your song. It was a great cover. You did so much better than mine lol. It does sound at some times like you had a hard time with how high it is. Keep rockin' the Rise Against though man.
Last edited by Cdynckl at Aug 10, 2009,
Pretty much what everyone else is saying: your guitar could use some new strings by the sound of it. Also, try a little less banging on it and a little more finess. The singing is great, you sound like Billie from Green Day.

c4c?
meh
You have too much volume, the vocal was clipping, which means that the soundwaves pass the "ceiling/floor" and get cutted off, causing distortion. turning input/mic volume down will fix that. The guitar was not in tune and sharp-sounding. that is not good.

Your vocal skills are good BTW
Quote by get ta led out!
Pretty much what everyone else is saying: your guitar could use some new strings by the sound of it. Also, try a little less banging on it and a little more finess. The singing is great, you sound like Billie from Green Day.

c4c?

Haha maybe I should do a Green Day cover?
like everyone else has said, your singing is good, guitar could be better. It's good for 2 months if that really is how long you've been playing, you'll be much better in no time. I think your guitar would sound better with different recording equipment.

And you've got to tune your guitar before you record
I thought the singing was really good. You go out of time in a couple spots, like after the first going into the verse for example but that's probably from you playing them as two separate tracks like you said.. The guitar playing was not very good, but considering you've been playing for two months it wasn't too bad at all. Your guitar just sounds really out of tune... If you wanna crit my cover you can.. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180750
Quote by Heid
More realistically....I once tried to give myself head....I gave myself a sore neck and a loss of pride...
LISTEN TO ME PLAY!
Thanks I suppose I'll tune my guitar next time! Lol. Thanks for all the crits Fender I'll get on yours.
This was really good, and I also never knew who this song was by.

Just like the other comments, you really need to tune that guitar.

Besides that, it's good.
yeah man i agree with everyone about the guitar sounding horrendous, but you have a really cool voice so keep it up, tune it up, and ease up a bit. it sounds like you were really attacking the guitar and this song should be a little more chill than that. but yeah, improve the guitar and you're awesome.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181586
If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, it's a victory.
-Ardal O'Hanlon

ME \/
http://fwa.dmusic.com