So im entering a talent show with a drummer and im playing a six string bass as my main instrument, i want to write an origional piece for the show and have no idea what scale im gonna write the solo in. Any suggestions?
B harmonic minor

Has that slight egyption/eastern feel, but not so crazy that non musicians think you're playing wrong notes (like if you played neapolitan)
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Aug 10, 2009,
i'd write a funky tune in g mi... for some reason, g mi seems likes a good funk key
phrygian augmented dont exist if i know correctly, what degree? and Im working on the b melodic minor, but i have no clue about writing solos, should i change keys to a chord progression like in songs, or should the whole solo be one key?
Quote by kibatsume
phrygian augmented dont exist if i know correctly, what degree? and Im working on the b melodic minor, but i have no clue about writing solos, should i change keys to a chord progression like in songs, or should the whole solo be one key?

Maybe he means phrygian dominant, a mode of harmonic minor.

Are you having a backing track? Or is it just you + drums? If you have a chord backing track, you could alter scales you use with the chords (pitch axis).

If not, id stick to one key
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Bb Superlocrian, regardless of key. You'll blow everyone away.
But in all serious, what do you expect for an answer? There's no need to pick a scale, just play major/minor/pentatonics.
c major

if you have "no clue about writing solos"

then why don't you stick with something simple and let your playing awe the audience?
Last edited by ShoeFactory at Aug 10, 2009,
i write music ive just never writen a solo before, and i dont wanna do c major just because its boring to me and i feel like doing something interesting thats all, and its just gonna be me and drums.
Might I suggest choosing a scale to solo in after you've written the song and therefore will hopefully have a chord progression to work with and possibly even a key?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ShoeFactory
c major

+1 It will BLOW MINDS.

So this isn't spam, I'll say that you most likely won't write a good composition just by choosing arbitrary notes from an arbitrary scale. You need either
(a)a real inspired composition idea (b)a deep enough understanding of music theory and some composing experience. Both is definitely preferred.

If you can improvise well enough, do that.
i have a good understanding of music theory, and i can improvise well too, but i wasn't going to improv because i wanted the drum to know when i was doing what, and its not a song it just a solo. Btw if it sounds like im arguing im really sorry for sounding like a dick I've got like a month to write the solo so i figured i would have you generate some random key for me and i would solo in that key, i've written songs for my band i just dont have experience writing solos, so far i think im just going to play around in b melodic minor, since someone suggested it ive been fooling around with it and found a few licks i like so i might just have to stick with it.
if you want it to sound really good do something you're comfortable that you know what you can do with. If i wanted to show my talent at a talent show i would probably play in E major seeing as it's what i'm most comfortable with i know many more open chords way up the neck to add variety to my solo, if i played in super-mixy-augmented-dominant phrygian i know i wouldn't be able to produce a good solo because my ear isn't as yet well enough trained in diminished-locrian-bebop to know what is going to sound really good.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by kibatsume
So im entering a talent show with a drummer and im playing a six string bass as my main instrument, i want to write an origional piece for the show and have no idea what scale im gonna write the solo in. Any suggestions?

The scale/key that you write in. That's your choice, you're the artist.

I mean there are a whole crap load of scales we could randomly throw out there..... is that really what you want? You said you have a "good understanding of theory".... I just don't get why you would ask this question then. You know what they sound like.... you're writing the song...... just pick one that suites your artistic needs.......

sorry
shred is gaudy music
Its cool i was looking for critisizm so its all good. I wanted a completely random scale because like i said i have a month to write it and i wanted the challenge of doing something i haven't done before, I know what scales im good at, but then again id rather do an amazing solo that i had to work to achieve than an amazing solo that just came naturally, so maybe eventually that one that was hard to do will become natural feeling too.
i have a month to write it and i wanted the challenge of doing something i haven't done before, I know what scales im good at, but then again id rather do an amazing solo that i had to work to achieve than an amazing solo that just came naturally

i dont wanna do c major just because its boring to me

Here's a challenge:
Write a solo in C major that isn't boring.

Trying to write something in melodic minor isn't going to help improve your solo; it's just going to impair your playing if you try and take shortcuts before knowing minor/major like the back of your hand.
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by aetherspear
Don't write a song in a scale, write it in a key.

Hooray!