Well, I'm starting to record some stuff, and the best mic that records both vocal and guitar is the Shure SM 57. I was able to find that for 90 USD overall. And then I found an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface for 105 USD overall, bringing the total to 195 USD.

Is this the best combination of recording gear I can get for under 200 dollars?

NOTE: I play music in the vein of Minus the Bear, Say Anything, Botch, Dashboard Confessional...I'm fairly varied.
Quote by punkforlife93
Well, I'm starting to record some stuff, and the best mic that records both vocal and guitar is the Shure SM 57. I was able to find that for 90 USD overall. And then I found an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface for 105 USD overall, bringing the total to 195 USD.

Is this the best combination of recording gear I can get for under 200 dollars?

NOTE: I play music in the vein of Minus the Bear, Say Anything, Botch, Dashboard Confessional...I'm fairly varied.

yea i dont think youll be getting anything better than that for that price. sm57 is a mic you'll always use, and m-audio products are pretty good, but do have some issues (as for me to record with out pops and clicks i have to disable my wireless card) most will have little to no problems and its prob the best for its price.
You're better off with a condenser mic if you're only getting one mic. The 57 will not do great vocals in the studio, it's barely decent on stage for vocals. Get an MXL 990 from Musiciansfriend/Guitar Center (it's GC exclusive). You'll be way better off, and it will sound really good on a guitar cab as long as you don't shove it on there too close. Make sure the interface you get has phantom power, though (it should on at least the first channel).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite