Hi i was wondering how I would smooth out my amp's overdriven sound. It's pretty much a crunch sound- like zeppelin, and i'm looking for and SRV like tone. Would I have to change tubes or something? Right now im running a '02 Fender Strat through a Peavey Windsor.
different pickups?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
The Windsor series uses EL34 output tubes which give a decidely British flavour to the sound. You're looking more for 6L6 output tube sounds (Fender/Boogie). SO you've basically got the wrong amp for this. A graphic EQ might help you tailor the response somewhat and if you lessen the distortion by lowering your gain you might get a little closer to SRV tones.
Moving on.....
sometimes increasing the gain actually smooths it out. Also, use the middle and neck pups. Mid-frequencies help to smooth it out too.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by StewieSwan
Turning up your mids will smooth it out a bit

Quote by Zakkcd
sometimes increasing the gain actually smooths it out. Also, use the middle and neck pups. Mid-frequencies help to smooth it out too.

Yup, do these.
Quote by LukeBlanco93
can I swith the EL34's for 6L6's?

You could have a tech rewire the tube sockets and re bias the amp and then it would work. It's not going to be cheap but shouldn't be insanely expensive either.

Your pickups are also half your problem. You need pickups with formvar wire to really nail the SRV tone. Most boutique winders make them and fender CS makes some to but the boutique guys, like myself, will hand wind and it gives them a more authentic tone and because fender CS costs so much you might even save money going boutique
Not taking any online orders.
maybe I should rephrase what tone I want- i love SRV's tone but I don't wanna copy it, I just adore how smooth it is. i play alot of chords on the thinner strings and when I solo I incorporate chords in em', so I wanted to smooth out the distortion so it doesn't sound harsh.
compressor?
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.