Page 1 of 2
Ok, so i started a new band called "the indecisive few" and we just did some studio live recordings. I'd like you check out "Sleep Tonight" and "Young Lust" (i know that's a cover, but why waste a thread?"

i will crit promptly of course.

go here: http://www.indecisivefew.com/
Too cool for a signature.
Pretty good, but if you are can mix it, bring the vocals a little louder and put the drums a little quieter, maybe a little more bass too, but other than that I like it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Ha i like that little fiddle in Sleep Tonight. The songs sound really good. I like it alot. It sounds like punky Hendrix One thing I would do is make the guitar a little louder. Make an album I'd buy it Thanks for the crit!!!
Last edited by v2a2n2g2 at Aug 10, 2009,
you guys are good i like the song funkybodigity the most the music and the name are awesome
Sleep Tonight:
Awesome intro, with a really nice riff.
The vocals need to come up a bit though, can't really hear them well.
The violin solo parts are also really good, also, the part when the violin starts playing the main riff with the guitar is amazing.
The guitar solo fit the music perfectly, very bluesy

8.5/10, just work on your mixing a bit, but the playing was spot on.

Young Lust

I loved this one, the vocals fit perfectly, the guitar sounded bloody amazing especially when you play those fills and then the solo. I only heard this song a couple of times a long time ago so I can't really compare it to the original, but it still sounded really good to me.

10/10
Young Lust

Great guitar and nice mix man. I didn't like the organ tone. It... I don't know, sounds a little digital to me, or a tad to fake or something. Doesn't fit. Change around the organ tone, and tell your keyboardist to do less stabs. During the chorus he should just hold out the notes switching chords with no real inbetween time, then on the verses do stabs.

Your keyboardist seems like he follows the rhythm alot, but he should be more complimenting it. If the rhythm guitar is doing stabs or stacatto, try having him hold the notes. Do some rolls when you switch notes or chords! Throw in some keyboard fills! Theres alot of possibilities.

Vocals weren't in the floyd style, but they worked out really nice. Overall it's a great cover. I would be happy if I saw it a venue or something.

Sleep Tonight

Liked it alot. Sounded to me like the song was giving off some grunge vibes, and your singer reminded me a bit of eddie vedder. Nice job.
Last edited by Ghast at Aug 11, 2009,
Sleep Tonight: I loved it from start to finish. Powerful intro, nice instrumentals. The vocals could be a bit louder in the mix. You can really hear the Tool influence in there (j/k).

Young Lust: I never heard the original (for some reason), but your version is pretty kickass. I'm sure you should listen to the person above me, but I liked the keyboards, not the tone so much.
Last edited by xHellbound at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by chrisatgrace
thanks Dave anything you want me to crit?

nope i dont got anythhing up anywere yet im working on it though
Quote by diofan88
If by knife you mean penis, and by shred you mean sex

then im soo with you

SHAKE AND BAKE
Sleep tonight is an absolutely brilliant track!
I loved the half screamed-half sung vocals.

The violin thing sounded so cool!

The guitar volume need to be increased in certain parts of the song.
Otherwise, everything sounds fine.
very cool, even though not my usual choice in music. the riff is real lively sounding, i think that adds to the song a lot. i like the recording quality for the fact that it does not sound polished completely; it makes the song much more authentic sounding.
fck.
SLEEP TONIGHT - love this kind of song, it reminds me of something but I can't quite remember what (maybe some Cream...), but this could be presented a lot better. The violin is out of tune here and there and the overall mix is too cluttered in the mids and almost everything is a little too close to center. If you were to remix this (depending on the format it was recorded in) here are a few pointers:

• Vocals need to be more even and come forward a bit in the mix. Evening out could mean some volume automation and two compressors with fairly moderate settings. They also need a bit more delay or reverb to fit in better.
  • Pan guitar and volin a little more to each side so that they don't fight for space in the middle.
  • The bass could use a bit of distorsion to allow it to cut through without taking up space from the guitars.

Keep writing good songs and focus on getting things recorded well.
Quote by ebon00
SLEEP TONIGHT - love this kind of song, it reminds me of something but I can't quite remember what (maybe some Cream...), but this could be presented a lot better. The violin is out of tune here and there and the overall mix is too cluttered in the mids and almost everything is a little too close to center. If you were to remix this (depending on the format it was recorded in) here are a few pointers:

• Vocals need to be more even and come forward a bit in the mix. Evening out could mean some volume automation and two compressors with fairly moderate settings. They also need a bit more delay or reverb to fit in better.
  • Pan guitar and volin a little more to each side so that they don't fight for space in the middle.
  • The bass could use a bit of distorsion to allow it to cut through without taking up space from the guitars.

Keep writing good songs and focus on getting things recorded well.

Yeah, there are some imperfections here and there, mainly because we did everything live. As much as i would have liked to go over everything more meticulously, we ended up recording 5 songs in 5 hours so we were a bit pressed for times. we got a pretty good deal though. only cost 130! thanks for the tips, we'll keep that in mind next time we do some recording
i listend to sleep mix 1. cool song. i wasent a fan of the vocals or the lyrics. the vocals may just need to be a bit louder and they are good just not realy my style of singing. they seem kinda shacky at times. i like the half screem/parts allot. very good recording and that was rocking. very clasic rock sounding. it was okay. the meledy reminded me of the "rain on me" song. i forget who its by. anyways great job.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180789
thanks man! what didn't you like about the lyrics? too simple?
hey thanks for the crit!

Critting Sleep Tonight :- well I can't really say much that hasn't already been said that is actually constructive. Great concept and there's great skill amongst all of you. Just a bit more "organising" and it would be a right cracker of a song! Bringing out the vocals, panning the violin and guitars but obviously studio-time is much more different than sitting at your computer desk recording. So you did a brilliant job
Quote by ascendancy2
hey thanks for the crit!

Critting Sleep Tonight :- well I can't really say much that hasn't already been said that is actually constructive. Great concept and there's great skill amongst all of you. Just a bit more "organising" and it would be a right cracker of a song! Bringing out the vocals, panning the violin and guitars but obviously studio-time is much more different than sitting at your computer desk recording. So you did a brilliant job

well we actually did it live so that explains some of it haha. thanks man!
Sleep tonight: awesome. Great display of songwriting in every way. Structure, melody, interest, its all there. Celtic vibe flowing out of the very nice melody played by saxaphone?(SWEET) and mimicked by electric guitar (which ties it together). Bass lines are awesome and creative, instead of the generic simple root notes.

I love the way the different tone colours blend together. Great use of rhythm with half time and switching between the straight 4/4 and bouncy 12/8. Vocals remind me of that dude from HIM for some reason, could be a touch louder in a final master.

Fantastic job man.

My latest
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21163647#post21163647
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
pretty goog! Like your style! violin in a rock band : great idea!
your last song remind me the intro of "sunchine of your love"
^ thanks for the in depth crit lol. glad i spent so much time on yours.
Nice, i like that main riff. The vocals are a bit low, kinda have to strain to hear it. It's not really my style, but especially as far as vocals go..i dug it a bit though. the solo/breakdown part was great. the bass or something felt a little sloppy, or something...i'm not sure, it felt like there were times the song slightly fell apart or something...maybe the drummer? not sure.

anyways keep up the good work.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Quote by Three11Rules
Nice, i like that main riff. The vocals are a bit low, kinda have to strain to hear it. It's not really my style, but especially as far as vocals go..i dug it a bit though. the solo/breakdown part was great. the bass or something felt a little sloppy, or something...i'm not sure, it felt like there were times the song slightly fell apart or something...maybe the drummer? not sure.

anyways keep up the good work.

thanks man. we had a bit of trouble because the violinist and i were the only ones who really knew the song. we recorded halfway through summer break, after a month and a half of not playing together. we just all chanced to be in the same area for a few days so we got some stuff done haha.
this reminds me of some wolfmother song for some reason. good song (first one) well written all the instruments sound great together no flaws really IMO.

not as good as the first but still good the guitar is very interesting but i dont like the violin in this song.
keep up the good work and thanks for the crit.
Sleep Tonight has amazing energy! I love the violin in it too! that has a great touch! The song itself is pretty excellent vocals fit the mood, the guitars good the mixing needs work but other then that it's awesome! The solo's great too, the violin in the backing added alot too it, the violin in the solo's great too
sleep tonight is great. with the violin and the guitar riff thats catchy as hell. i think the only thing you need to work on is mixing the sounds together. bring of the vocals. you could just play with the sounds and find out what sounds good and what should be louder than others. i think the guitar is solid though don't change that.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
I loved the melodys and riffs. Probably my only, and biggest problem with it is the vocals need to brought way way up in the mix. Oh and excellent violin, and i don't mean that sarcasticly at all its extremely unique and fits well.
I'm loving pretty much all of this, sounds a lot like Wolfmother to me, mixed with a good dose of Hendrix, well done.

You guys could defiantly do with a good few studio recording sessions though, the mix is slightly off in places.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I loved it all! Sleep tonight almost had a maiden vibe to it, especially the bridge. Funkibodigity was... funky! Plus also for the Pink Floyd cover. And I love the fact that you have a violin player, that alone is a huge win Only complaint I have is the quality of the recordings, it all sounds like you recorded every instrument at the same time, on one take, live in other words. Now I have nothing against live recordings, but I'm sure you could record it even tighter and with better sound quality. But that aside, you have some great stuff, singer is good, so keep up the good work!
Last edited by Splitvision at Aug 13, 2009,
Wow, Sleep Tonight was awesome. That intro riff was TASTY. Hearing the organ behind it mate it so meaty and funky. The vocals are good, but I think they should be a bit louder.
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
ok had to check out the bitch cause i just had my heart broken

the violin is kinda too much

other than that its great for your genre not really my type of music though
haha check out the other songs, that was the worst take we did!
Nice job man. I love the riffs, where the two instruments are playing together. You have a pretty distinct vocal style, its on display here, very nice. The groove is tight. I like the quick drum beats that come in. Sounds like everybody are great musicians at their respective instruments. I dig the sleeper, man. Nice. Only complaint is that with the mimmicking bits, it sounds out of tune sometimes because you have the exact same line playing. So it sounds a little off. Other than that, great! THanks as always, for the the crit
Genesis meets Dropkick Murphys?

Of course I checked this after replying to your post on my profile, so now I know what you're up to.

Certainly an interesting project. I like the general groove you have going. Is it you singing? Haven't heard you sing with such rock and grit.
Guitars are a little saturated for my liking, but that's maybe personal preference. I'd go for more crunch than distortion.

Nice to hear you rocking out.
I loved the Young Lust, and Sleep Tonight was good too. The only thing is that all of them seemed a bit treble-heavy and the organ in Young Lust was just a bit high in the mix, and the tone didn't really match the song all that well, if you get me.

Overall, really good stuff. Keep it up.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Sleep Tonight: Catchy riff to start. Couldn't hear the vocals too well so I can't really comment on them, although in parts it really sounded like Brian Tatler singing! In fact the whole song sounds heavily inluenced by Diamond Head. There are some parts where an instrument sounds a bit out of tune, possibly some bad bends or something? Also the cymbals are a bit loud, I'd like to hear more guitar and vocals. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a well-written song, intelligent, impressive.

Young Lust: Lush keys in this one. Vocals are really impressive, nothing to improve there. Better mix with this one than the other song. Guitar tone could use improvement - it sounds a bit trebley and harsh, and it's too quiet for most of the song. Apart from that, this is an excellent cover.
Cool intro. Very folky. I like it. Singer is a bit quiet though.
The violin/fiddle/whatever is consistantly out of tune.
Nice solo section around 1:40. This is pretty tight for a live recording, too.
Great guitar solo. The solo after it was also really good. In fact, I think I liked it better.
Cool outro as well.
Check out my band Disturbed
Page 1 of 2