I've been playing guitar for nearly 10 years, but my rhythm has always kind of sucked. I haven't had guitar lessons in over a year and half, and when I had then my teacher was always to hung over or felt to ill to ever teach us anything that I didn't know already.

I play along with tracks using Guitar Pro and play along with songs, but I still seem to be awful at this. When I jam with anyone my rhythm is always slightly out, no matter how hard I try.

I know people suggest playing along with a metronome but what exercises do you do with it? Any other exercises/techniques anyone can suggest?

I'd really like to get my rhythm playing up to scratch, anyone else had a similar problem?
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
Yes use a metronome. Now, to play with a metronome start with quarter notes, then 8th notes, then 16th notes. You can do that however you want and just keep clicking up the tempo. Now once that becomes easy, which won't take long if you do it right, try finding some more complex rhythms (stuff in 6/8, 32 notes, dotted notes, syncopation).

Edit: Also if you're into Metallica or any metal band or a band like GNR their songs really do have some complex rhythms sometimes.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Its So Easy
Yes use a metronome. Now, to play with a metronome start with quarter notes, then 8th notes, then 16th notes. You can do that however you want and just keep clicking up the tempo. Now once that becomes easy, which won't take long if you do it right, try finding some more complex rhythms (stuff in 6/8, 32 notes, dotted notes, syncopation).

Edit: Also if you're into Metallica or any metal band or a band like GNR their songs really do have some complex rhythms sometimes.

Chears dude

I was suppose to be doing some covers or G'n'R in a band so I was practising them quite a bit and realised how much my rhythm actually sucked. Anyway the gig got cancelled Izzy is one hell of an under rated guitarist, even though I am not a big G'n'R fan and I really don't like Metallica much.

Would a Korg MA-30 Digital Metronome, be any good?
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
I dont know if Id exactly say metallica or GNR have fast or complex rhythms, but I whole heartedly agree with the metronome
Quote by tubatom868686
I dont know if Id exactly say metallica or GNR have fast or complex rhythms, but I whole heartedly agree with the metronome

It's maybe not that complex but it's certainly a rock standard.
Fender American Strat
-
-
metallica certainly does have complex rhythms in a few songs, if you play them exactly as james does. check out blackened, the frayed ends of sanity, creeping death is a good rhythm section. a lot of stuff from kill em all is good practice too. of course you know better than me how your rhythm is. all i can say is metallica is great for building downstroke speed, alternate picking speed and accuracy, and they are a very precise band, so it can potentially build up some discipline too. good luck and have fun!
give some examples of "unprecise" bands
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
give some examples of "unprecise" bands

You mean rhythmically imprecise?

Well, its somewhat ironic considering previous posts, but...metallica.
What songs? Please could you explain what you mean by inprecise, they don't play in time properly?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
you think so? What songs?

You can have any pick of the isolated tracks of cliff burton. Seriously, no offense, but cliff may be rhythmically one of the weakest players I have ever heard. And thats undeniable. I could go on about the rest of his playing, but theres no need to piss off the die hards
You can have any pick of the isolated tracks of cliff burton. Seriously, no offense, but cliff may be rhythmically one of the weakest players I have ever heard. And thats undeniable. I could go on about the rest of his playing, but theres no need to piss off the die hards

Your not offending me or anything, so he is realy that bad at rhythm? Its not that noticeable though is it? I can tell that his technique and tone are pretty bad
Last edited by turtlewax at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by turtlewax
Your not offending me or anything, so he is realy that bad at rhythm? Its not that noticeable though is it?

Well, Ill be straight up with you. I spend about an hour a day just on rhythm. That means either I have my practice pad out and Im doing snare exercises, or Im drilling rhythm studies from my arban book, or just doing metronome work. My rhythm is pretty tight. It has to be, Im a bassist. So compared to someone that works as hard at rhythm as me, cliff burton is very sloppy.
I guess that his value to the band was more of his musical knowledge then
and I don't even like Metallica

Chears for the help guys! I'll try and buy a metronome when I'm in town tomorrow.
Fender American Strat
-
-
Hey there, metronome is a good idea, but try to use it as some kind of backing track and play your songs along with it.
But before you buy anything... have you tried metronome programs that can be downloaded and used freely from the internet? They say that they are not that precise, but if you have a mediocre PC it will not be stuck or fail, so I can encourage you to try one out! Just google it up, you'll find lots.

Anyway try to play slowly at first, and then go faster, and faster.
Another fine exercise is to play two notes/clicks of metronome, then 3 notes/click (3s), then 4 notes, 5, 6... and it goes on in speed too. Just be sure that you start easy

Cheers!
It's not really speed I am concerned about, it's more complicated rhythms.
Fender American Strat
-
-
Its worth getting the rhythm straight in your head before you even think about playing it too - count it out, tap it, whatever, just make sure you understand it before you try and play it.