Page 1 of 2
I love bass. I also love destroying the dignity of one by using a bunch of distortion, a pick, and making it just as loud as the guitar. Anyone else like doing this? Or am I just weird...........
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

I don't. LOL

But I just have three words for you if you honestly think you are destroying the dignity of a bass by playing it like a guitar; Cliff "LEGEND" Burton
Yea Cliff Burton FTW. And you always don't have to use a pick. A lot of bassists do it because they started on guitar.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
It's fun to do some times - i love rolling up the OD, picking up a plectrum and bashing out some power chords every now and again. Not to mention the fun you get with chords on a bass (especially when you have shiny new un-muddied strings )
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Ripper1
I don't. LOL

But I just have three words for you if you honestly think you are destroying the dignity of a bass by playing it like a guitar; Cliff "LEGEND" Burton

Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Sometimes I play it like a rhythm guitar. Sometimes I play it like something besides a guitar (have you listened to much post rock? Technically I'm playing like a guitar, but then again it isn't even like a guitar)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I Use a Pick and Like to use Bass as Prominent as a Guitar, But Thats just Me. Oh and now and again light distortion.. Or Flanger (L)

OmNomNom!

Yhbbz
Tool did it better than Metallica at that.

you know what I say is true.

(ok, it is just opinion)

but listen to both. they do it well.

Jaco Pastorius was another good one- he tried to sound like a horn player though. it worked.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Usually I play it like a bass, but sometimes I add a little distortion to fill in the noise while the guitarist solos if there's only me, a guitarist, and a drummer.

Oh, and Cliff Burton FTW
Quote by chaazums
I love bass. I also love destroying the dignity of one by using a bunch of distortion, a pick, and making it just as loud as the guitar. Anyone else like doing this? Or am I just weird...........

Me, well except pick part. When i use pick i cant feel strings and that is a bad thing for me.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
nothing is wrong with distortion or picks lol, also Cliff is so overrated (not to be confused with bad.)
Quote by Its So Easy
Yea Cliff Burton FTW. And you always don't have to use a pick. A lot of bassists do it because they started on guitar.

I switched a few years ago and played with my fingers until I tried using a pick and it sort of grew on me.. I hate distorted bass though, it just melts into the guitar sound.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
when i first started yeah, mostly cause of the lack of rhythm guitar and i didnt really know anything besides root noting in 8ths. I wanted to sound like a guitarist
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Last edited by Tyranus-3121 at Aug 12, 2009,
when i screw around on my bass ill play cords. actually power cords can be cool!! but i pick it w/ my thumb. picks suck
Lot's of bassists HAVE to use picks, because of the type of music they play. You wouldn't catch Tom Araya or Ian Hill playing without a pick.
Regin Smiður
Quote by partyhard
Lot's of bassists HAVE to use picks, because of the type of music they play. You wouldn't catch Tom Araya or Ian Hill playing without a pick.

Right... so everything before South of Heaven, where Araya was playing fingerstyle doesn't exist? Oh, and Ian Hill also plays fingerstyle on ocassion.

So... yeah... if you're going to say something, at least make it educated, capisce? All types of music have both pick and fingerstyle players- the technique is NOT dictated by the genre or speed.
When I get bored, I turn up the distortion and play powerchords down the neck. It's fun
Quote by C0_0kie
Me, well except pick part. When i use pick i cant feel strings and that is a bad thing for me.

That's what I thought at first; I never liked picks until I used Fender mediums. They give a slight bend so you can feel the strings, but not enough to get in the way. Now, I almost never fingerpick.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Right... so everything before South of Heaven, where Araya was playing fingerstyle doesn't exist? Oh, and Ian Hill also plays fingerstyle on ocassion.

So... yeah... if you're going to say something, at least make it educated, capisce? All types of music have both pick and fingerstyle players- the technique is NOT dictated by the genre or speed.

Personally, I think every bassist should be comfortable and fluent with both picking and fingerpicking. Different songs will require different styles, so it's good to be able to match the style that works best for a song.
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by herby190

Personally, I think every bassist should be comfortable and fluent with both picking and fingerpicking.

As do I. It demonstrates technical proficiency and shows that you can adapt to suit different styles, and can achieve a wide range of sounds.
signature
Cliff FTL. Just kidding, when I first started playing, I didn't get the hang of it as fast and I wanted to, so I pretty much played no different than guitar, including power chords and tremolo picking, but that was just a phase.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

And.. Well I'd say Metallica are in the same court as Slayer and Judas Priest, and Rob pretty much exclusively uses fingers.
Well this a bit of a grey area for me. I never liked bieng lumped together with guitarists, which is a big reason I never use picks even though i play metal, But on the other end I do play very loud and love to shred.
Well i like to play my bass loud,distorted, hung low and with a pick but for me i dont want play it like a guitar because if i want that then i'll play my guitar-for me music is all about the song and the mood i am trying to set...
Bass....How low can you go?????
I don't use a pick, but I'm quite fond of a dark, synthy distortion every now and then.
Nope, no sig here.
I can play a bass solo to a song exactley like a guitar solo but my friends won't consider me to play solos. If I was just one damn octave higher.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by JoeyDengler
Well i like to play my bass loud,distorted, hung low and with a pick but for me i dont want play it like a guitar because if i want that then i'll play my guitar-for me music is all about the song and the mood i am trying to set...

That's exactly my approach aswell!
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by SimplyStrings
I can play a bass solo to a song exactley like a guitar solo but my friends won't consider me to play solos. If I was just one damn octave higher.

Whammy?

I play hard, like death metal hard, and that ODs my amp, but I make myself heard with fills and stuff.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666

Wow. That's pretty hard.

Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

nice
so bad i do not have enough avail. letters left in my sig
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
I like to play my bass without distortion and without a pick. Just loud
I prefer it that way.

But when i'm writing a new song, because I write mostly ska/punk, i'll try out ska rhythms just to see how it sounds.
Quote by Regensgeliebte
nice
so bad i do not have enough avail. letters left in my sig

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKEN!!!!!

Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

I dont get why people say "ska rhythms." Or "jazz rhythms." A rhythm is not exclusive to one genre. You could argue that if were talking latin rhythms (samba, clave, etc) but not really for any other rhythms
Quote by tubatom868686
I dont get why people say "ska rhythms." Or "jazz rhythms." A rhythm is not exclusive to one genre. You could argue that if were talking latin rhythms (samba, clave, etc) but not really for any other rhythms

Actually, there is ska rhythm, and is most recognisable in rocksteady ska, with guitars strumming on beats 2 and 4, and bass on 1 and 3. Other ska rhythms accentuate the upbeat. You then have ska which has more of a mento quality, following a 3+2+2 pattern, accentuating the final beat in each bar, like a rhumba. Additionally, a lot of 12 bar blues comes into ska, also accentuating the upbeats, or still has a large mento aspect. Eventually, the offbeats became more syncopated and sometimes staccatoed. To say there isn't a ska rhythm isn't true. Calypso also plays a large part, and there is certainly claypso rhythms and progressions, which are basically half time bossa nova rhythms and progressions IIRC.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Actually, there is ska rhythm, and is most recognisable in rocksteady ska, with guitars strumming on beats 2 and 4, and bass on 1 and 3. Other ska rhythms accentuate the upbeat. You then have ska which has more of a mento quality, following a 3+2+2 pattern, accentuating the final beat in each bar, like a rhumba. Additionally, a lot of 12 bar blues comes into ska, also accentuating the upbeats, or still has a large mento aspect. Eventually, the offbeats became more syncopated and sometimes staccatoed. To say there isn't a ska rhythm isn't true. Calypso also plays a large part, and there is certainly claypso rhythms and progressions, which are basically half time bossa nova rhythms and progressions IIRC.

I take back what I said
Page 1 of 2