I play a song in D, G and A. Near the end it moves up 1 step and i should play E, A and what other note??

I know all the notes on the fretboard, lots of scales and chords, yet i still can't work this out.....why not?

I think it may be a B note but it prob won't be!

Cheers!
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
Quote by The Daver
I play a song in D, G and A. Near the end it moves up 1 step and i should play E, A and what other note??

I know all the notes on the fretboard, lots of scales and chords, yet i still can't work this out.....why not?

I think it may be a B note but it prob won't be!

Cheers!

Man, the only advice I can offer you is to work your ass off whenever you need to use theory. Theory is weird.. it's conventional math but it's not something you can just leave sitting there and expect to get better at it if you don't use it.

Anyway, to answer your question, it is B. Just don't get tricked when you have to go one step up from E or B. There's only a half-step between those and the F/C.
Quote by amorebelladonna
If you think its B then play a B. If all the chords move up 1 step then it is B

But i need to know if B is correct, not just if i think it's correct.
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
Quote by The Daver
But i need to know if B is correct, not just if i think it's correct.

how about hearing if its correct?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I meant you can also play the note in the context of whatever song you are playing and if it sounds like its supposed to then its right

^exactly
Just think about it D-E= 1 step G-A= 1 step A-B= 1 step

If it was one step up from B it would be C# only because B-C and E-F have only a half step between them.
Quote by HoffManCometh
Man, the only advice I can offer you is to work your ass off whenever you need to use theory. Theory is weird.. it's conventional math but it's not something you can just leave sitting there and expect to get better at it if you don't use it.

Anyway, to answer your question, it is B. Just don't get tricked when you have to go one step up from E or B. There's only a half-step between those and the F/C.

Thank you i get the half step bit now :-)
Quote by glenthemann
how about hearing if its correct?

I don't trust my own ears!!
I have just one question. If you know all the notes on the fretboard how did you not understand a half step?
Quote by Petrucciowns
Just think about it D-E= 1 step G-A= 1 step A-B= 1 step

If it was one step up from B it would be C# only because B-C and E-F have only a half step between them.

I shall hit my head with a hammer!
Quote by Petrucciowns
I have just one question. If you know all the notes on the fretboard how did you not understand a half step?

I got confused with the step and half step....i wondered whether B to C and E to F counted as full steps because of the notes in between but they do!

This might not make sense to everyone but i have learned now, it just took me down a different path to everyone else

Thanks to all
Last edited by The Daver at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by The Daver
I wondered whether B to C and E to F counted as full steps because of the notes in between but they do!

I still don't think you get it. There are no notes between B to C and E to F.

It's a half step between them, and only those set of notes.
Quote by Petrucciowns
I still don't think you get it. There are no notes between B to C and E to F.

It's a half step between them, and only those set of notes.

I thought i had it but clearly not! Say i played a song starting in B or in E and i wanted to move up a step does that mean i play in C or C#, and F or F# ??

If i play the C and F does that mean that for those 2 moments in the scale you kind of count them as full steps cos it's a full note change with no flats or sharps??

As always, thank you.
Quote by The Daver
I thought i had it but clearly not! Say i played a song starting in B or in E and i wanted to move up a step does that mean i play in C or C#, and F or F# ??

As always, thank you.

You would be playing in C# or F# or Db or Gb

Quote by The Daver

If i play the C and F does that mean that for those 2 moments in the scale you kind of count them as full steps cos it's a full note change with no flats or sharps??

No you don't count them as full steps, but half steps.

Hope this helps.
Quote by Petrucciowns
You would be playing in C# or F# or Db or Gb

No you don't count them as full steps, but half steps.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. As the saying goes 'you learn something new every day' !
Your song starts in the key of D maj. It has a I IV V structure. This is the most popular structure for music in the world. Many many songs you know use this structure.

I - D major
IV - G major
V - A major

At the end your song changes key to E major. It keeps the same structure.

I - E major
IV - A major
V- B major

This is basic music theory dudes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Your song starts in the key of D maj. It has a I IV V structure. This is the most popular structure for music in the world. Many many songs you know use this structure.

I - D major
IV - G major
V - A major

At the end your song changes key to E major. It keeps the same structure.

I - E major
IV - A major
V- B major

This is basic music theory dudes.

Well i don't know basic music theory, nor do i understand this roman numeral stuff that i'm sure was put in to 'disrupt' us mere novices! I'm kidding before i get a backlash from the clan!
Quote by The Daver
Well i don't know basic music theory, nor do i understand this roman numeral stuff that i'm sure was put in to 'disrupt' us mere novices! I'm kidding before i get a backlash from the clan!

It wasn't addressed to you - it was a good question. I just wanted to ensure that the advice would not confuse you. There's no need to guess the chord once you become familiar with keys, which dictate which chords sound good in different keys, as well as advising you what scales are best for soloing over the song.

I'd look into the roman numeral stuff - it'll help you figure out songs quickly which is really important for writing songs and learning to jam with others.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
So...you gonna hit yourself with that hammer or what? Make sure you post pics.
Quote by lukeylynch
So...you gonna hit yourself with that hammer or what? Make sure you post pics.

Like this you mean
You should look up "Learning Music Theory. The Beginning" in the lesson section, it might seem boring to read through but once you get it in your head there are endless applications for it, and despite some people saying it isn't necessary for playing guitar, it will certainly help you grow as a musician.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.