Hey everyone, havent been on here in a long time, so much so that I forgot my username, so I made a new one. Anywho I am having a little dilema. I own a JSX 212 combo amp that I bought more than a year ago. I also have a Ibanez S470. I really havent been playing guitar alot lately for different reasons. But I want to get back into it.
Well today I came across Peaveys new vyper 60w tube amp. I got an idea, that maybe I would sell my amp and possibily guitar in order to get one of those with the sanpera II pedal, and maybe if I could find an EC-1000 ltd sunburst (Their sooo expensive now, when they first came out they were only 700.) I have wanted that guitar for so long but had no money, it seems this might be a way to get it.
I like the amp aswell I think it would be alot more versatile than the JSX and plus I don't need 120watts I barely turn it up past 2 when I use it. So just seeing what you guys think of my idea. Any advice? Warnings? People who use the gear im looking at? Thanks a lot for the help in advance.
all ican say is try out the vyper extensively and see if you like it enough to sell your current one.
imo downgrade
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Very much a downgrade. Don't be fooled by all the fancy things that a modeler offers, it cannot ever live up to that JSX. Hell, one of the amps modeled on the Vypyr is a JSX, so its clearly a desirable amp
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I dont know man, if you are happy with your current sound, stick with what you have right now. But, I just picked up the 15 watt Vypyr and I love it. Its just a little practice amp, but it sounds awesome. Beats the hell out of Spiders, and It was cheaper than a Spider is. I would at least check out the Vypyr. Its a great amp and affordable too.
Trade in your JSX for a Vypyr?!? Maybe you can trade in a Corvette for a Honda Civic while
you're at it.
The only reason I would "downgrade" my gear would be if my amp was too loud for the gigs I was playing. If this is your problem you can invest in a power attenuator like a THD Hotplate which monitors the level of your speaker so that you may get a "full" sound without destroying the audience or neighbours.

However, if you are downgrading because you've decided you don't take it seriously anymore, that's commendable - I've seen bedroom players with half-stacks in their bedrooms, which is both inconvenient and silly, especially when they don't gig at all.

Another popular reason to downgrade is because you need money, and I'd have to be really desperate to sell my gear for that. Junkies do this however. In Anthony Keidis' autobiography "Scar Tissue" he sells a stratocaster signed by all of the Rolling Stones for $1,000 or so to a pawnbroker, and the money went straight to smack, and the smack didn't last very long.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I would much rather have a sunburst ec1000 than pretty much any ibanez (im gonna buy one one of these days) but Im not so sure about your amp swap. If you really dont need all that volume then I dont see why you cant get a smaller amp. I think the vypyr tubes sound pretty good regardless of the price, maybe not quite as pristine and what not as a JSX but if its just for your practicing and jamming than you probably dont need a JSX in the first place
Quote by morganite14
I would much rather have a sunburst ec1000 than pretty much any ibanez (im gonna buy one one of these days) but Im not so sure about your amp swap. If you really dont need all that volume then I dont see why you cant get a smaller amp. I think the vypyr tubes sound pretty good regardless of the price, maybe not quite as pristine and what not as a JSX but if its just for your practicing and jamming than you probably dont need a JSX in the first place

redundant point...even Joe Satriani doesn't need 120 tube watts. Pretty much anything over 5 watts of tube will cut your head off past 3

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Don't they have those things you plug into your amp that cuts the volume so you can turn it up without killing anyone?

And are you set on the EC-1000? As awesome as it is i found the higher frets to be a bit of a pain to get to (i think its because it's 24 frets on a 24.75" scale)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200
IMO the EC-401 looks cooler because it doesn't have all that abalone.
Quote by Metlhead443
redundant point...even Joe Satriani doesn't need 120 tube watts. Pretty much anything over 5 watts of tube will cut your head off past 3

Is that a joke? Ok sorry nevermind i forgot where i was, i think ill head back to the TGP and Harmony Central.

Seriously though.... thats like .... the opposite of cork sniffery.....
I practice with a Super Reverb at 7 in my house.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by FendermanOC
Is that a joke? Ok sorry nevermind i forgot where i was, i think ill head back to the TGP and Harmony Central.

Alright ill admit it was a bit of hyperbole, but nobody actually uses the full potential of a 120 watt tube amp. If you dimed a JSX you'd probably shake the foundation of your house

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
Alright ill admit it was a bit of hyperbole, but nobody actually uses the full potential of a 120 watt tube amp. If you dimed a JSX you'd probably shake the foundation of your house

Sure some guy playing in a club isnt going to get to crank a 120 watt amp, but I can gaurantee that Satch gets to crank his amps no matter how loud they are.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by FendermanOC
Sure some guy playing in a club isnt going to get to crank a 120 watt amp, but I can gaurantee that Satch gets to crank his amps no matter how loud they are.

Im not sure about that, 2 JSX stacks might actually hurt someone. I think that they're in stereo, but they only turned on like 3 and then mic'd through the venue. At least thats what ive seen in every live scenario ive ever encountered

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by FendermanOC

I practice with a JTM45 w/ a 1960 cab on 10 in my house.

Slightly louder than acceptable stage volume, but definitely not loud enough to cut anyone's head off.
Quote by AlanHB
The only reason I would "downgrade" my gear would be if my amp was too loud for the gigs I was playing. If this is your problem you can invest in a power attenuator like a THD Hotplate which monitors the level of your speaker so that you may get a "full" sound without destroying the audience or neighbours.

However, if you are downgrading because you've decided you don't take it seriously anymore, that's commendable - I've seen bedroom players with half-stacks in their bedrooms, which is both inconvenient and silly, especially when they don't gig at all.

Another popular reason to downgrade is because you need money, and I'd have to be really desperate to sell my gear for that. Junkies do this however. In Anthony Keidis' autobiography "Scar Tissue" he sells a stratocaster signed by all of the Rolling Stones for $1,000 or so to a pawnbroker, and the money went straight to smack, and the smack didn't last very long.

The thing is I don't gig at all, ive maybe played once or twice with some other people, I am more into just playing at my house, making my own songs, recording and what not. The thing is the JSX really isnt made for what I use it for. I also do need money, not for crack though but because I am going to college at the end of this month and the damn government wont help me so all of it is comming out of my pocket.

I also went to Guitar Center today, they did not have the 60w version but they had the solid state versions. Also they did not have the ec-1000 there only the cherry model which was $994 (CRAZZZZZY!!!!) I have had my eyes on the ec-1000, and I actually like the abalone I think its sexy. I also had looked at the MH-400, any opinions about this guitar?
To the guys arguing about Satch's setup, I'm not sure about the exact settings but he can't even hear himself in the middle of the stage which is why you constantly see him moving back to stage right so he's in front of his amp. I'm sure it must be pretty cranked if they don't want to turn it higher...
Your JSX combo is much better than the Vypyr IMO, so it would be a pretty big downgrade.

Also you won't have the Vypyr's volume up more than 2.
Half the wattage doesn't mean that the amp is half as loud. I have the Vypyr 15W and have it at 2-3 (OD-channels; cleans at 3-4) when the rest of my family is at home.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by piop
To the guys arguing about Satch's setup, I'm not sure about the exact settings but he can't even hear himself in the middle of the stage which is why you constantly see him moving back to stage right so he's in front of his amp. I'm sure it must be pretty cranked if they don't want to turn it higher...
you don't gig much, do you?
You just admitted to a multi in the first sentence. I suspect there will be a ban hammer falling upon your dome quite soon. But I think it would be a downgrade, heres why.

JSX 212 absolutely out performs the Vypyr in every area except versatility.
EC-1000 is a sweet guitar if you can get the one with Duncans, not EMG'S. but assuming you're going for the EMG's, a definite downgrade.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Downgrade. 60 watts SS i still loud mofo. youll just get super early clipping. The JSX out preforms the Vyper when its barely on Master volume 2 and channel 2...The Vyper is all in all a decent gimmick amp, but still bells and whistles to alot of things.
I would only sell my JSX if i had to absolutely pay for something right away, ie tuition, rent, car payments etc. Resale value for these guys isnt that great though(New 1k-1.3k, resale 700-900).
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by al112987
you don't gig much, do you?

You haven't seen Satch that much recently have you? God he needs to come up in the mix...