Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by thegiaco2112
squier jazz bass cv

Hell yes.

Jazz basses are so awesome. Even the Squier ones aren't bad.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
i would say a P-bass or a Jazz both are extremely good including the Squier's which are good.I prefer the p-bass myself but its really your choice both are just brilliant basses and can switch from a metal sound to a more punk sound with relevant ease :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Bass is a bit different from guitar in that you can use just about any tone you want and it will work. Obviously there are some extremes, but you could quite honestly take the same bass and amp used to record an old Motown hit and use it to record death metal, and it would sound fine. And even if you're going for a certain tone, it's almost all in the amp at this price level anyway.

So really what will matter is what type of feel you prefer. Going by your choice of a Les Paul, I'd say a thicker neck might suit you better, but that's just a guess. As long as you stay away from Epiphone, Dean, B.C. Rich, and really bad off brands like Rok Axe you should be ok with just about anything you buy.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Bass is a bit different from guitar in that you can use just about any tone you want and it will work. Obviously there are some extremes, but you could quite honestly take the same bass and amp used to record an old Motown hit and use it to record death metal, and it would sound fine. And even if you're going for a certain tone, it's almost all in the amp at this price level anyway.

So really what will matter is what type of feel you prefer. Going by your choice of a Les Paul, I'd say a thicker neck might suit you better, but that's just a guess. As long as you stay away from Epiphone, Dean, B.C. Rich, and really bad off brands like Rok Axe you should be ok with just about anything you buy.

Yeah, cause every death metal song needs a vintage P with flatwounds. I think that is a huge exaggeration...
I didn't say every band needs one, I said that you could do it. And you can do it. I've personally played along with a death/thrash metal band using a fretless P with flats, and it sounded just fine.

edit: Holy poo, there's 2 fitzes now?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Saturn
Yeah, cause every death metal song needs a vintage P with flatwounds. I think that is a huge exaggeration...

Who says Motown needs a vintage P with flatwounds? The type of bass/amp/strings are not going to matter much, unless you have a very trebly, transparent tone dialed in, otherwise most of the time all basses just make a low rumbling thump in the back of the music.
SQuier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass!!!!!!!
has almost all the tone as its big brother fenders
and its really good for anytype of music
I have the Squier Jazz CV, does every genre great, looks sweet, good for GREEN DAY (eh, eh? ). I don't think I'll being buying another bass for awhile. But make sure to pair it with a good amp. The best for the price is the Acoustic series. You can get them at Guitar Center. Go for the b20 if you don't want to spend cash and you don't plan on being in a band, or get the b200 if you wanna be set for life
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

every genre?

no. you listen to rock, pop, maybe indie, metal, or rap, and hope to get into jazz for school, and think thats everything, ignoring tribal, new age, mathcore, the coffeehouse stuff your girlfriend listens to. that is my guess. maybe you actually do listen to and enjoy every single song in existence equally.

Green Day is pop-punk. most green day fans also like a little ska and old school punk. you should get a VM jazz or VM Precision. I'd get the latter myself. P-basses get the Green Day sound perfect. Dirnt uses a P. about as good as you can get. and he has a great sound, especially for Green Day. it's no masterpiece of fuzz and delay and transparency, but Green Day would sound terrible with a Justin Chancellor playing the bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mr. Saturn

eh... it was a hyperbole dude

edit: so as to be relevant, I say Squire VM Jazz, but like MutantCorn said go with what YOU find the most comfortable
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Aug 11, 2009,
Any Ibanez Soundgear bass. They're all great for beginners, even some experts like em. Maybe try a Peavey of some kind, if you don't like Ibanez
Regin Smiður