i've been playing for a while now, and can play rhythm guitar pretty quickly, like 200 bpm no problems, but when it comes to doing a solo i cant keep up or play anything quickly.

any ideas why this might be, and how might i be able to improve. Please dont suggest things like practise over and over with a metronome, because its sooooo boring, hopefully you can suggest useful excercises and things like that to improve speed?

any suggestion would be appreciated
There really aren't many tricks or secret techniques to make you better. It all comes down to how you practice and how much you practice. The best way IS going to be practicing solos and leads with a metronome, that's why it is suggested so often. However, maybe study the way you play leads and chords and spot the differences. Maybe fix the problems and it will help
if ur not willing to practice slowly with a metronome to get faster then u just arent gonna get faster...simple as that
well I have to say the only thing you can do is practice...

if you want to make it more fun then look on youtube at some of Paul Gilberts video lessons
you're in the wrong field if practicing scales and alternate picking exercises are boring man... really sorry to say it, but you are.

ask any lead player ever, and see how many hours have been clocked in the woodshed...

there has never been and never will be a get rich quick scheme for anything...

only advice would maybe to start learning new lead techniques and music theory (basic even) ... I think that if you can't already, learn sweep picking, and 3 note per string scales...
Quote by TisPyon
if ur not willing to practice slowly with a metronome to get faster then u just arent gonna get faster...simple as that

agreed.... you just have to play slow.. till your hands are all synced up at a certain speed... then boost the speed a little bit.. and go like this for a couple weeks and you'll see the improvement... if you can play rhythm at 200 bpm them your picking hand must be there.... just to get it to work with your fretting band
if you're looking for exercises I suggest getting intense rock 1 and 2 by paul gilbert... play those excercises with a metronome.... you'll be a god when your done
Quote by TisPyon

That's not true at all. I've never used a metronome in my life and I can play just fine.

TS, you're at least going to have to practice scales for 15 to 30 mins every day, both picking and using hammer-ons/pull-offs, and practising both major/minor scales and pentatonic scales.

But that's not the only important thing. All that will give you is technique. It does next to nothing for your phrasing other than the increased control. You HAVE TO learn and play along with solos from your favorite guitarists in order to build up similar phrasing and playing styles as them; after all, you do want to play like them don't you?

For me, two very cliche guitarists helped me learn soloing: Angus Young Jimmy Page. I started out with the Shook Me All Night Long and Back In Black solos, as well as bits and pieces in Communication Breakdown and Heartbreaker, all of the Stairway solo, all of Whole Lotta Love, and a few other Zep songs. Also, playing along with your favorite solos will help your timing just as much as practising with a metronome.

Always remember that soloing is just as much about phrasing as it is about technique. Technique means speed and control, but we're not racing Moto GP here; you're gonna have to learn some style on top of that precision.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Your knowledge is lacking.

You can only ever play as fast as you can think, if it takes you 5 seconds to find the next note you want to play then that's as fast as you can play. If you don't want to practice things over and over slowly then quit now, because that's the only way anyone ever gets good at guitar...what you practice is irrelevant, what matters is how you practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MKYL

any ideas why this might be

I'd say this could be why.......

Quote by MKYL

Please dont suggest things like practise over and over with a metronome, because its sooooo boring
shred is gaudy music
Quote by MKYL
Please dont suggest things like practise over and over with a metronome, because its sooooo boring

No pain, no gain.
Quote by MKYL
i've been playing for a while now, and can play rhythm guitar pretty quickly, like 200 bpm no problems, but when it comes to doing a solo i cant keep up or play anything quickly.

any ideas why this might be, and how might i be able to improve. Please dont suggest things like practise over and over with a metronome, because its sooooo boring, hopefully you can suggest useful excercises and things like that to improve speed?

any suggestion would be appreciated

That kind of attitude will net you right where it netted me. Or at least, the lack of discipline will. If you're not going to spend your time in the woodshed, then you won't be able to play solos at the speed you want to. You have to put in your hours, and you also have to do it right. It's like flying a plane without auto-pilot. Make sure you fly it with both hands and with full attention otherwise you'll crash.

Crappy analogies aside, man up, grab yer scales, learn economy of motion, and play with the metronome for several months or years. At least, that's the simple version of it. There is more, like sweep picking, proper alt. picking, fingering, finger independence, arpeggios.. all that fun stuff..
Quote by steven seagull
Your knowledge is lacking.

You can only ever play as fast as you can think, if it takes you 5 seconds to find the next note you want to play then that's as fast as you can play. If you don't want to practice things over and over slowly then quit now, because that's the only way anyone ever gets good at guitar...what you practice is irrelevant, what matters is how you practice.

god you say everything so well and clear, for the second time, couldn't have said it better myself