Ok so lets suppose im going from the Low E to A, we can take 3 notes on each string for example, i wanted to know if my method of picking is wrong, however the pros i've found of picking this way i can pick much faster as opposed to the traditional way of alternate picking. here we go:

traditional alternate picking:
A--------1-2-3
E-1-2-3-------
So the pattern would be U, D, U, D, U, D like so?

D-U-D
A--------1-2-3
U-D-U
E-1-2-3-------

I believe Paul Gilbert uses this yes?

Well i pick like this and i wanted to know is this bad practice?

U-D-U
A--------1-2-3
U-D-U
E-1-2-3-------

Between the 3rd fret E and 1 fret A there is an almost sweep kind of motion being carried out however the rest is being alternatively picked?

Is this a bad method or not, because i find i get hung up using the standard method above when trying to gain speed, however i can keep accuracy and timing using my method?

Edit: Might I also add, that ive found when using my method and using repeated licks for example 1-2-3-1-2-3 The pattern will become easier for me as shown below.

A--------1-2-3
E-1-2-3-------

1st Run: u D u u D u
2nd time around: D u D u D u (alternate picking?)
Congratulations, you've just discovered economy picking

But surely you meant this picking pattern if you're talking about a "mini sweep" when transitioning from the E string to the A...

D-U-D
A--------1-2-3
  D-U-D
E-1-2-3-------

...because the way you've notated it makes no sense and is actually slower
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I wont lie to you.
when i started playing, after like a year, this economy picking is how i could shred. i could get to about 160 bpm playing 16th notes, good enough? no i wanted to be faster.

i eventually got the balls to learn how to alternate pick things and i instantly became faster. it was just a more natural movement and less to think about.

UDUDUDUDUDUDUD

vs DUD DUD DUD DUD DUD

My advice to you:
there is nothing wrong with your technique but i advize you to learn alternate picking as well. it doesnt hurt to be able to do more does it?
well i can alternate pick, for instance i can cover most songs by avenged sevenfold using alternate picking, however i can do them a lot more cleanly using the method i used. I wasn't aware that was economy picking though aha.
I would say im around a good 160 atm with either. But i find it easier using the economy.
Economy picking is inherently faster than alternate picking, there's no disputing that fact. You're being as efficient as possible with your movements, and less movement = less time taken = more speed. It's also more natural as if your already moving the pick towards a string it's more logical to continue that stroke on rather than change direction.

However it does require more thought when it comes to arranging your playing meaning you're kind of a slave to 3 nps runs. It also sounds a little different. straight alt picking usually sounds a little crisper and more defined. The answer? Use both of course, same as any other technique on guitar...it's horses for courses, you use whatever's most appropriate in any given situation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree with the seagull. Economy picking came natural for me when I started playing, but it was uncomfortable in 2 or 4 notes per string situations so I eventually developed a tendency to "skip" notes with legato; though obviously when you play slow, strict alternate picking is more suitable.
awesome so there is nothing really wrong with my playstyle when it comes down to adjusting the playstyle for any particular song?
cheers again.
It's economy picking, but the way you do it D,U,D..D,U,D (1,2,3..1,2,3) will give you more of a triplet feel as opposed to a straight alt pick D,U,D,U,D,U (1,2,3,4,5,6)
go with what feels most natural in a playing situation, but in practice do all them. That way i tend to find that the mos natural way is the most efficient since i'm equally comfortable with all types of picking. alternate has it's uses in tremolo type picking for example but for me falls down on triplets, i just can't get the feel while locked into a 2-stroke cycle.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Yeh I think the best thing to do is to get good at both styles of picking. Then you can use whichever fits the music- be that for the different sounds or the arrangement of notes.
You've got your downstrokes and upstrokes reversed.

Most guitarists use a combination of alternate and economy picking, but I always suggest mastering alternate picking before economy. Economy picking is mostly alternate picking, anyway, and alternate picking means that you will always be playing the same type of stroke on a given beat; in a given phrase, you will always be playing a downstroke on ONE, for example. That is not trivial at high speeds.
I have always naturally economy picked, mostly because my guitar teacher never noticed im sure. I love economy picking because it feels good, but there are situations where alternate picking are more appropriate. Be sure to practice both.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
I think alternate picking has a harsher sound (maybe its in my head) than economy picking when you play really fast which I like for anything heavy. There really is no wrong way to play guitar, if people can play with their mouths more power to em
ahah. cheers all, I guess I will just practice both over and over again. Talking of which would you know of any good solos I could practice then for both methods? Im into stuff like megadeth but only have been playing 2 years so I want to be able to practice these two playing styles (alternate and eco picking) as much as possible.
Cheers.
i played with economy picking for like 2 years then i changed to alternate picking and i can tell you alternate picking works much better for me, i think it's more natural for the wrist to go up and down, so i suggest you spending like a week practicing alternate picking and see what feels better for you . !
i scream for ice cream
Quote by MalGanisWL
i played with economy picking for like 2 years then i changed to alternate picking and i can tell you alternate picking works much better for me, i think it's more natural for the wrist to go up and down, so i suggest you spending like a week practicing alternate picking and see what feels better for you . !

Economy is still up and down...just a little more efficient.

Some people do better with one type over the other but it is good to try and learn both techniques.