Well my friend is offering me his Affinity Strat Pack that he has used twice since he didn't like guitar, and I can get it for 125, amp, guitar, strap and stand, but no cables.
Now I don't have much experience with electrics but I've made big progress I think since November of 2008 with my acoustic. I can buy everything but the amp for 80, and then buy a Peavy vypr 15w or something in that category? Or should I just stick to getting the Frontman 15g that my friend has?
The vyper is better than the frontman. Better tone, better effects, etc.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Aug 11, 2009,
the frontman is terrible. id almost be tempted to get an mg over a frontman. vypyr owns the frontmans ass
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Hopefully you've played his guitar? I think my Squier Affinity Strat is good, but with such cheap guitars the quality control is one place where you can save a lot of money. So you should really test the guitar to see you like it (even tho it's cheap, it's not worth the money if you won't play it at all).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
If the Strat feels good, then go for it. Squiers sometimes get a bad rap but there are some great ones out there.

Do not however, take the Frontman. Wisely save for one of the following:

Roland Cube
Vox VT15
Peavey Vypyr

Also, if you plan on playing Metal, bear in mind that single coil pickups are not best suited to it.

Good luck!
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I just recently bought a Frontman and honestly love it to pieces. Thick and chunky, like good salsa.

As for single coils not being metal, Iron Maiden might disagree.
Quote by Axelotl
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I just recently bought a Frontman and honestly love it to pieces. Thick and chunky, like good salsa.

As for single coils not being metal, Iron Maiden might disagree.

Really?
Did you test out a low-wattage tube amp before you bought it? How good is your ear?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Really?
Did you test out a low-wattage tube amp before you bought it? How good is your ear?

I've been playing for about 25 years.
I've owned Peaveys, Carvins, Hartkes, Mesa Boogie and Crates. The Frontman's certainly not the best I've ever owned, but for what I paid for it, I'm pretty pleased with it.
Ultimately, none of us can tell him what he likes anymore than I can tell you what you like.
Worst-case scenario, he buys it, doesn't like the amp and sells it for something else. It's not like he's buying a house.

edit: in addition to the amps I mentioned above, I'll admit that I've also owned some of each that I haven't liked, some that I have and have also been surprised by several no-name amps/pedals on more than one occasion.
I'll also admit to preferring humbuckers for most things, but I think that a good musician can often make the difference irrelevant.
Last edited by Axelotl at Aug 11, 2009,
singlecoils might work for 80s style metal, but IMO, they stuck for modern stuff,
i love the fat sound of a humbucker and it works perfectly for modern metal
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
As I said, I prefer humbuckers myself, but I was more trying to make the point of not closing oneself off to certain things due to preconceived notions of how things 'should' be.

Quote by Fama
...So the current Iron Maiden tone is probably not done with single coils.

Fair enough... I stopped listening to them after 7th Son.
Last edited by Axelotl at Aug 12, 2009,
From checking Wikipedia, I got the impression that Iron Maiden uses either a SD JB Jr. (which is a single coil sized humbucker), SD Hot Rails (which, too, is a single coil sized humbucker) or a SD Super Distortion in the neck. So the current Iron Maiden tone is probably not done with single coils.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well I tried my friend's Line 6 Spider 15 watt amp and the effects for some reason wouldnt turn off on clean channel so I'm staying away from that amp. As for getting the guitar I think single coils will be alright enough as I'm not really a metal type person and the most metal I'll be trying is Metallica.