What do you call the guy that does all the protools/mic/mixing/mastering/recording work at the studio?

An audio engineer? My friends keep calling him the producer >.<
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I call him the guy that is extremely important to our sound, but whom I pay ****.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Sound Engineer? I cant think of the name but my badass caveman friend Kiefer does that and lights.
Sound guy.

XAVIEDIT: Oh, at a studio? Probably a sound engineer would be the broadest definition. I have a friend whose dad owns a studio and does various different jobs like mixing and mastering, recording, etc. She doesn't even know what to call her dad's job, she just tells them he "works in production".

I assumed you meant live sound when you said "soundboard".
Last edited by xaviergray at Aug 11, 2009,
Yep, sound guy.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Well, in the studio it's a Studio Engineer or some ****, but live it's just Sound Guy.
audio technition?
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
audio engineer and studio tech are the proper terms (they aren't the same thing but they can both do some of the stuff you are talking about) producers can as well, it depends on how "hands on" the producer is.

Mastering is done by a mastering engineer and doesn't happen in the recording studio (or if it does it's usually in a another room)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 11, 2009,
It can be a different person each time. Engineer is a good word for it. The producer can do that job, and often does.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Engineer: said guy who does the micing, pro tools and ****...

Producer: guy in charge, guy who decides what direction to go, oversees the artistic side of it, hires studio musicians, chooses what equipment to use, which mics, etc...

GENERALLY both are sitting at the console (that big "thing" with all the buttons and faders) during the whole process.

Chain of command:

Producer
Engineer
Assistant Engineer (sometimes)

Any more questions, I'm your guy. I work in this domain so I would know.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by sporkman7
"I dont care what your real name is. When you walk through those doors, YOUR NAME IS ****ING STEVE!!!"

No idea what that's from, but when my band gets a sound guy, we're calling him Steve....... unless his name really is Steve, in which case he will be Hulio.
i was maybe lookin into sound engineer/ producer as a career
does it pay alright?
how longs the study for it?
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
Quote by chivesmcpoe
does it pay alright?

doesn't pay all that great, really long hours especially when you first start. To get a job you have to have a degree or lots of experience or both.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by chivesmcpoe
does it pay alright?

How long the studying depends. While there is no ACTUALLY diploma for it (like "here you are now a certified producer, congratulations") some private institutes offer some sort of training with people in the industry. This means you could even not do any sort of studies and still make it but that requires you to have a horseshoe up your ass and know the right people at the right time. It's domain where it's all about EXPERIENCE hence why studies aren't required because even if you do some sort of studies, studios ALWAYS demand experience.

EXPERIENCE is all you need so up to you to find a way to acquire it.
It pays as much as you're worth. If you're a

Sh*tty producer---> sh*tty pay.

Excellent producer---> more demand for your services----> more you can charge

If must warn you though, it's a TOUGH business where you shouldn't expect glamour, big pay, full nights of sleep and excellent life conditions for a LONG while. Getting into for the money is probably the dumbest thing you can do.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Well I am the sound guy at my school for big events and such (I make all the little minions do the heavy lifting, and I man the sound board lmao), and people just call me the sound guy.
miguelito2729 thanks heaps its been a big help
yeah coz im only half way through year 11 in high school (australia) but yeah just looking at certain career options
u can do a music indusrty based degree hear for 3 years so i dunno
like i know the basics of the technical side of sound production becaouse i do music industry in school but yeah, id still need HEAPS more experience
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
Quote by miguelito2729
Engineer: said guy who does the micing, pro tools and ****...

Producer: guy in charge, guy who decides what direction to go, oversees the artistic side of it, hires studio musicians, chooses what equipment to use, which mics, etc...

GENERALLY both are sitting at the console (that big "thing" with all the buttons and faders) during the whole process.

Chain of command:

Producer
Engineer
Assistant Engineer (sometimes)
Sexy secretary
Intern
The studio dog
The band

I just wanted to add to your chain of command to show a rule of thumb in the studio: if you're not in the band, never, ever listen to the band (as in, what they say, I imagine you'd have to actually listen to their music if you were the producer or some top dog like that).
Sound Guy.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Actually, there IS a degree for it. You can get one at a LOT of schools here in the States. I was pursuing a minor in audio engineering, but I found my true calling (artist management) and dropped the minor so I could focus more on my artists (already got two!). Music Industry major ftw!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Actually, there IS a degree for it. You can get one at a LOT of schools here in the States. I was pursuing a minor in audio engineering, but I found my true calling (artist management) and dropped the minor so I could focus more on my artists (already got two!). Music Industry major ftw!

Ah! Well there you go. I did a degree like that too at a technical school (don't know what the exact term is here), Live Sound & Recording 'twas called.

It helped, A LOT.
PM for details.