Hi, as of now I have a line 6 spider iii 15w, but I would like to upgrade. I mostly play blues and classic rock and am looking for a small tube amp to play small gigs. The budget...$400...help me out good people.
A Blackheart if you mic'd it.

The new Epi Valve senior might be an option... Haven't played one but you might want to try one out.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
A Blackheart if you mic'd it.

The new Epi Valve senior might be an option... Haven't played one but you might want to try one out.

No one has tried a Valve Senior be lucky if you see them by Xmas. Alot of start and stop on the release of that amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
No one has tried a Valve Senior be lucky if you see them by Xmas. Alot of start and stop on the release of that amp.

+1

They were supposed to be released after Winter NAMM 2008 for crying out loud.

To the OP: Check out the Crate V series, Crate Palomino V series, Crate Vintage Club series, Peavey Classic 30, Marshall DSL, Traynors, Bugera V series (or 1960 or 1990)*

Or even a Fender Bassman head; they can be found for $500 on Craigslist.

Almost every amp on this list (excluding the Bugeras, Traynors and maybe the Classic 30) is to be found on eBay or Craigslist.

EDIT: I almost forgot about the Epiphone amps. The So Cal, Valve Standard and Blues Custom would probably be near-ideal for what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 11, 2009,
I was also looking at the vox ac4. Does anyone have it? And if so the combo or stack.
I see Peavey Classic 30's on eBay and CL quite a bit. I love the Blues Custom, but I play a lot a lot more high gain that the second channel has to offer. The Blues Custom would do you nicley if you could get for under 450, its satays pretty high regularly. I havent played the Vox AC4tv, so I have no idea. If your looking into a home/practice unit that you dont have to Gig with, why not get a Valve Jr. or a Blackheart Killer Ant?

If its Tube Tone that your after, there should be plenty of low wattage options out there.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Raijouta
+1

They were supposed to be released after Winter NAMM 2008 for crying out loud.

To the OP: Check out the Crate V series, Crate Palomino V series, Crate Vintage Club series, Peavey Classic 30, Marshall DSL, Traynors, Bugera V series (or 1960 or 1990)*

Or even a Fender Bassman head; they can be found for $500 on Craigslist.

Almost every amp on this list (excluding the Bugeras, Traynors and maybe the Classic 30) is to be found on eBay or Craigslist.

EDIT: I almost forgot about the Epiphone amps. The So Cal, Valve Standard and Blues Custom would probably be near-ideal for what you want.
A number of these amps are well worth looking into.

Others...

The AC4 won't give the power needed for gigging, even mic'ed up.

Peavey Classic 30. Ignore the fact that it's a cliched choice, and the fact that many people own one, it's one of the best amps for your money, if you gig, play at bedroom levels, and want a bluesy-hard rock tone.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-30-Guitar-Tube-Combo-Amp-Vintage-2000_W0QQitemZ140331491126QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ac689f36&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-30-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ350227809691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518b34459b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This one is a little out of your budget. As mentioned, craigslist may be a better option for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-112-TWEED-WITH-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ120454512145QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ba5fe11&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'd also suggest looking into a Line6 Flextone III, a Vox AD50VT, and a Peavey Valveking.
if mic'd yeah for sure, try a Laney VC15/30 they are awesome i just bought a vc30 212 esp for what you need one for.
you could maybe find a used Peavey classic 30 for that price, would be perfect for what you are after. amazing classic rock tones.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
So a 30w all tube (such as the peavey valveking or classic) would have no problems at a small gig right?
Quote by lilfid12
I was also looking at the vox ac4. Does anyone have it? And if so the combo or stack.

I have the AC4. Personally, I never turn the volume up past halfway on the 1 watt setting. This may be because I got used to keeping the volume down for my neighbours' sake, though.
Quote by lilfid12
So a 30w all tube (such as the peavey valveking or classic) would have no problems at a small gig right?
no problem at all. the classic is a far better amp than the valveking though.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
no problem at all. the classic is a far better amp than the valveking though.

How so? Different tone? Or is it quality? I know that the classic looks ncer... but the price difference is significant.
The Valveking has it's place as a decent, starter valve amp. But it's tones are a little sterile and processed. It also feels a little weak and thin, where everything from bass, to treble, to middle, seem vacant and misjudged. That said, I did play one before where someone replaced the valves with EL84's and the speakers with Celestion G12H. It made it significantly better. It doesn't cost much yet adds a lot of warmth and character.
But I would maybe still opt for the Classic 30. It has roughly the same amount of physical preamp gain but breaks up sooner due to it having less wattage, and thus, evokes poweramp overdrive, which is mostly where the core of a valve amp's tone comes from. Overall, the tone is nicely balanced between a British voicing and an American voicing. Which means there isn't a lack of mids or an over-saturation of highs. It copes with cleans-hard rock very well. And can even cope with Metallica-esque voicings by adding in an overdrive pedal (such as a Fulltone OCD) and removing a little of the mids with the pedal, keeping your amplifier's settings pretty much as they were.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Aug 12, 2009,