Hey All, It has been a while since I strolled through the UG forums. In fact its been so long I can't remember the password or even which e-mail address my old account was to, so here I am making my new UG appearance!

I have used the time this summer to build my first acoustic guitar, and I took a lot of pictures of my whole experience doing so. I just thought the UG community would like to take a look, discuss, question, bash or compliment my work. I would definitely like some advise from some experienced members out there to give me advice on ways to do things to make it easier/better, for I do plan on starting my next guitar when I get the money for materials.

Pictures will be coming as soon as Photobucket uploads my pictures (Im uploading 120)!
Last edited by k_weiman at Aug 11, 2009,
It is getting very very late, but I decided I would leave you guys with a bit of a tease. Enjoy!

So i guess I should give some info on whats going on here. I took a luthier class from Timeless Instruments and this is the guitar that I built while there. The top is made of Englemann Spruce, the back and sides of Flame Maple, the neck of mahogany and the fingerboard of ebony. As you can see with the headstock I tried doing something unique... I learnt when building something for the first time stick to the basics! although I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

More pics to come but again its getting late.
That's looking very nice. What was it you did with the base of the headstock? I think I get it but I'm not sure.
I was just trying to do something different with the headstock. I should have just stuck to the basics, I like the way it looks but it turned out to be very impractical.
As far as the headstock goes, is that going to work? are the string going to clear the other tuning keys before they hit their own?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
The strings do clear the tuning pegs, again I tried to make it different so the 6th string is the top tuning key, the 5th string the bottom key and the 4th one the middle. The biggest problem with the headstock was the fact that I cut the top to short and had to also put the tuning pegs on the opposite sides and upside down. rookie mistake and yes the sides are maple.
Holds the wood down so it glues properly, think clamps.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by -Raiden-
Holds the wood down so it glues properly, think clamps.

then why not use clamps?..

is there some advantage to this method?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Well, I never used this method before, but it looks like clamps wouldn't fit very comfortably in there, clamps are usually used to hold on to the outside border, and can't go very far inside.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by -Raiden-
Well, I never used this method before, but it looks like clamps wouldn't fit very comfortably in there, clamps are usually used to hold on to the outside border, and can't go very far inside.

ahh that makes sense
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Lookin' nice.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Wow!
Did you learn all this just from a luthier course?
Bloody amazing job, well done!
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Yeah all this in just a three week course! The normal course my instructor teaches is seven weeks so their were some things we skipped over. Because it was a condensed course we the sides were already pre bent and we didn't get to do a very good job of finishing the guitar, only three coats of lacquer.

Now without further ado, I give you the very first Weiman!