How is the quality of this brand? I am thinking of making the Art & Lutherie EPM EQ my next acoustic, but the dealer is in the next state over and I want a idea of the quality and sound before I make the journey.
Overall quality - mid range.
Quality for value - through the roof. These guitars (at least in Canada) are not very expensive, and they sound fantastic. Solid wood tops, usually cedar, they have rich tone, lush...pretty much every guitar-playing member of my family has one or has had one. I have a 12-string and it hits the spot (unfortunately I might have to sell it due to fundlack syndrome).

I say it's worth the venture.
The one the store carries has: Spruce Top, Maple Neck and Wild Cherry Back & Sides and is a Cutaway Acoustic/Electric. It is priced at $300usd
They're great guitars, I'm using one on the recordings on my profile if you're keen on the sound I get.

Note that I did have the opportunity to try about 10 of them at the same time and picked the best one, like most cheaper guitars the quality varies from guitar to guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
They're good guitars. I owned one for a year. It was my first guitar, actually. It was built quite well and sounded very nice for the price. No complaints at all here.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm holding one right now, the cedar black AMI one, it sounds pretty good, altough I have no idea how much it cost since it's my cousin's. The only thing I don't like about it is that I'd like a deeper, richer sound, but that's normal since that model is so small.
they're definitely better than a laminate top guitar, but i find the seagulls - made in the same factory - sound and feel better. i played a lot of them at mccabes when i was looking for a solid top guitar and none of them really did it for me. it's easy to say it's the size, and i'm sure that's a part of it, but as an example, although smaller, the larrivee and blueridge parlor guitars have much deeper louder sound than any of the art & lutherie guitars i tried.

for almost the same price you can get a seagull entourage... does the dealer offer a 30 day return/exchange like musiciansfriend and guitarcenter? you could try the art & lutherie and if you didn't love it, you could exchange it for a seagull.
^ I actually find Norman guitars(also made in the same factory as the other two) to sound even better than Seagulls. To be honest, Seagull isn't my cup of tea most of the time. The only real exception is the mini jumbo.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
As a rule of thumb, almost anything from Godin is a good guitar(IMO)! But, If I were to pick any one or two specific brands... I'd go either S&P or Seagull! They are very good guitars!

$400 = A crappy, solid top, production line, chinese made guitar (IMO)

or

$400 = A great, solid top, handmade, CANADIAN made guitar

These guitars, are all specially made! Veteran luthiers in LaPatrie, Quebec, hand choose the right neck for every body... the right top for every bottom... so on so forth!

To conclude, great guitars... and unfathomable value! You can't find value like that anywhere else! But like I said, A&L are generally entry level guitars... and it would be better to find a guitar you like from S&P or seagull!
Quote by fngrstylgtr
As a rule of thumb, almost anything from Godin is a good guitar(IMO)! But, If I were to pick any one or two specific brands... I'd go either S&P or Seagull! They are very good guitars!

$400 = A crappy, solid top, production line, chinese made guitar (IMO)

or

$400 = A great, solid top, handmade, CANADIAN made guitar

These guitars, are all specially made! Veteran luthiers in LaPatrie, Quebec, hand choose the right neck for every body... the right top for every bottom... so on so forth!

To conclude, great guitars... and unfathomable value! You can't find value like that anywhere else! But like I said, A&L are generally entry level guitars... and it would be better to find a guitar you like from S&P or seagull!

The Godin Groupie likes your style.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Canadian made all the way, bought my Seagull over a Martin DX. Never ever gonna regret that decision.
Quote by obeythepenguin
I've liked the one or two A&L's I've played, though I agree Seagulls are better quality. Either way, all the Godin brands have a unique sound, something I've never heard from any other instrument. I'd easily take my Seagulls over many expensive, big-name brands (Larrivee, even a couple Guilds) costing four or five times what I paid for mine -- not that I'd mind owning either of those, of course, especially not a vintage Guild F512...

I love the unique tone of my Seagull, but I gotta admit, nothing beats the sound of a
D-28 or a J-45, of course, those guitars cost thousands of dollars, I'll gladly take my Seagull. Plus I would feel bad beating up one of those expensive guitars like I do my Seagull.