The topic: is it better to practice with your eyes closed?

I was trying to play a song that i started learning short ago. I'm far from playing it correctly, but i've been practicing it a lot.
I closed my eyes and nothing changed for a while, but i started to feel some kind of "sense", I guess it could be the muscle memory (wich I know nothing about, that's why I said "could"), or it could be that I just blazed and I'm very high (yet insightfull).

And this made me think that there COULD be some kind of benefit in practicing with your eyes closed.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a riff with decent difficulty to practice with my eyes opened and another one with my eyes closed for a few days (till weekend probably) and then I'll compare the results.
I invite you all to do the same experiment (or another one about the same topic) and share the results so we can see the average of people who find it helpfull.

Who's with me?
Real guitarists gouge their eyes out on stage, so you're theory seems viable.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Colgate Total
You haven't been playing long, have you?

I started taking it seriously a few months ago, but I´ve been playing like 3 years.

EDIT: why do you ask?
I learned Plug In Baby today, and after I felt like I had memorized it properly, I tried it with my eyes closed for a few minutes, nailed it yet again, and didn't bother closing them anymore, since I got it down.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by siskoX
I started taking it seriously a few months ago, but I´ve been playing like 3 years.

EDIT: why do you ask?

Not trying to sound like a dick, but after a while you learn to do it without even realizing it. I found out after I tried playing in the dark.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Why hinder yourself? Unless you're planning on losing your vision, there's really no reason to do this.

Muscle memory will develop by itself, there's nothing your vision can do about it.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Yeah it sure does feel good with your eyes closed...

...wait we ARE talking about guitars right?
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
Yeah it sure does feel good with your eyes closed...

...wait we ARE talking about guitars right?

Yes lol, but now that you mention it, it could be the same for every instrument and even other activities.
its definitely better to know what you're doing...

but after a while it wont matter you'll be able to just do it
I just randomly tried doing that one day, and found that I could.
Most likely muscle memory, but still. Makes me feel good, like I know what I'm doing.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by sk8ordie97
your experiment fails. if you practice with your eyes open first, you will learn the song, so when you practice eyes closed, you will think it works better

You fail for not reading the post thoroughly. He's going to try two different riffs, one with eyes closed and one with eyes open. A control and a variable. Try again.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§
You fail for not reading the post thoroughly. He's going to try two different riffs, one with eyes closed and one with eyes open. A control and a variable. Try again.

Exactly .
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§

well if its two different riffs the experiment still wont work because the riffs are different

either way whichever one he does second will seem better because the previous practice improved his playing
Quote by sk8ordie97
well if its two different riffs the experiment still wont work because the riffs are different

Yeah i forgot to say that they will be similar in difficulty.

Quote by sk8ordie97

either way whichever one he does second will seem better because the previous practice improved his playing

How much can I improve by learning a riff? Anyway I'm planning to learn them both at the same time (a bit of practice for both each day), I didn't post that kind of details cause I forgot that some people are desperated to find flaws in everything that other people say / do (no offense).

I would apreciate if you stop being so cynic. We all know this will never prove anything at 100%, but if we get a lot of feedback we could find out something interesting (or not, I'll take the risk).
I read Total Guitar while practising boring picking exersizes.-seriously
It stops me getting bored while im trying to build technique.
Anybody read while playing?

It just sucks when you have to turn the page...
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
think about this way...

what about blind guitarists?

they never used their eyes.

i sometimes slide my bandana over my eyes and run scales.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!