what exactly was wrong whith all the singers?

on topic: we never had an audition, since there is such a sortage of musicians here.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Massive shortage on musicians here, basically gotta take what I get.

I started the band and am the singer though, so I guess I shouldn't post here?
Your just guna have to keep doing it until you find a guy / girl your comfortable with and that you feel is right
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
personally i just got a couple of friends and ran with it, but you should have as many auditions as you need until you find the person who fits your band the best
What the guy above me said. I understand it's hard to find a new member, but don't pick one because you don't want to look anymore.

If you liked some of the guys who already did an audition, perhaps you could ask them for a second one? Hang out with them a bit, have a drink, etc.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
I do understand what you're going through, sometimes you can't find the "right" singer.

That's why I learnt how to sing, so I could sing my songs the way I wanted them done.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by stinger12345
My last 2 bands were started by singers, so this post is pretty useless

hehe...

"don't forget to bring a towel!"

...stinger, you're the worst character ever.

JOKES! I GOT JOKES!

...this post is also useless.
as many as required

ON note of the lack of new singers-

I personally think its a result of the demasculization (if that even is a word) of male culture to the point of non-eclectic bland tight-jean hipsters. Kids dont have the passion to go up to the microphone and treat it like a woman, and make the show sexy- thats really what a great frontman does- Make it sexy (Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, Dave Lee Roth, Steven Tyler etc etc)- and because now adays kids write pansy anthems about how they lost thier girlfriends in thier ****ing waspy sub-urban nieghborhoods- they sound like whiny college punks COUGH COUGH MAJORITY OF ALTERNATIVE/INDIE ROCK VOCALISTS COUGH COUGH

/Rant
Quote by Highwaytohell
as many as required

I personally think its a result of the demasculization (if that even is a word) of male culture to the point of non-eclectic bland tight-jean hipsters. Kids dont have the passion to go up to the microphone and treat it like a woman, and make the show sexy- thats really what a great frontman does- Make it sexy (Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, Dave Lee Roth, Steven Tyler etc etc)- and because now adays kids write pansy anthems about how they lost thier girlfriends in thier ****ing waspy sub-urban nieghborhoods- they sound like whiny college punks COUGH COUGH MAJORITY OF ALTERNATIVE/INDIE ROCK VOCALISTS COUGH COUGH

/Rant

I totally agree with you, but i like some alternative stuff lol.
Quote by Highwaytohell
as many as required

/Rant

See, i understand your point, but i always found those singers you mentioned to come across as fairly douchy.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
See, i understand your point, but i always found those singers you mentioned to come across as fairly douchy.

Inherently yes. BUT, those guys were able to stand thier ground and mark their territory. you dont see Lemmy going around and flaunting a bunch of bs about how his life is an endless pain ball. Any form of masculinity comes with a sense of pride, and obviously, pride can transfer to arrogance. I can deal with a little bit of that if it means a ****ing amazing frontman... (oh wait i am a front man... DOUCHEBAG!)
Quote by Highwaytohell
as many as required

/Rant

It's true that recent times have seen the emasculation of the male image, but sometimes it's appropriate, depending on the genre of music. Obviously, if you're going for a classic rock style, a skinny-legged emo kid won't be your (she-)man. However, it doesn't mean that all indie or alternative rock vocalists are terrible. It's just their style and it works for them, so you'll have to accept it.

Also, sometimes personality is more important than ability, which can be improved so a certain degree. However, a jerk is always a jerk, so be careful of that. I'd probably rather find someone who has the potential to end up becoming a good friend, so that even if nothing successful ever occurs, at least you can have a pleasant time together and actually enjoy jamming.
I personally think its a result of the demasculization (if that even is a word) of male culture to the point of non-eclectic bland tight-jean hipsters. Kids dont have the passion to go up to the microphone and treat it like a woman

I'd actively try and stop our singer treating the mike like a woman, but then he's gay. Might not be the best way to encourage him...

Possibly the reason that people are becoming frontmen who you wouldn't choose (that is, not 100% pure male, with a shirt open to the waist and skintight jeans :P) is that the audience isn't too impressed by that anymore. Those bands are quite successful with the look and style they've chosen...if it wasn't what people wanted to see, then they wouldn't be.

My band is lucky in that we haven't had much trouble finding any of the 'core' members that we have atm, although currently we're hoping to add a second singer/guitarist. Auditioning singers is probably the hardest task, because voices are so individual, and they're the most important part of the band. I think the important bit is not to settle for second best - there's lots of good singers out there, but they're not all going to be suitable.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Inherently yes. BUT, those guys were able to stand thier ground and mark their territory. you dont see Lemmy going around and flaunting a bunch of bs about how his life is an endless pain ball. Any form of masculinity comes with a sense of pride, and obviously, pride can transfer to arrogance. I can deal with a little bit of that if it means a ****ing amazing frontman... (oh wait i am a front man... DOUCHEBAG!)

And there's a billion different valid forms of masculinity outside the very narrow, ego-rampant shirt-open dominant-male-monkey-muthafuka* form of masculinity you describe. I find myself agreeing with most of your posts (that I read), which is rare for someone who's 16 or 17 (or however old it is you are), but this comes across as a fairly immature manifestation of an idea of what a 'real man' is.

I obviously don't know Plant/Le Roth/Daltry/whoever personally, but given their public personas, I'd say almost all of them have a hell of a long way to go before I'd consider them well-rounded men as opposed to one-dimensional chest-beaters. You can be ballsy and confident and funny and sexy as well as intellectual, geeky, compassionate, empathetic...it's a false dichotomy to think a 'real man' can only cover one side of that list and if you can do both then you can avoid the problems that come with over-emphasising traditionally masculine values over traditionally feminine values.

Alternatively, feel free to point out that you can't spell 'empathetic' without 'pathetic'. Don't forget to roar and tear at your chest hair as you do.

*Who wants a cookie?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Been through I think 7 singer try outs so far, no luck. Just people singing in a very low tone and that bs...

Never needed to look for a Guitar or Drummer, because Ironically 2 of my best friends played those, and I didn't even know that when I first met them. (I'm the Bass player)

Now that is what I call, EPIC WIN.
Quote by JackFlash19
We've gone through about 14 singer auditions. It's becoming frustrating. How many auditions for band members have you gone through before you found the right one?

It's ironic that my band actually just found our "right vocalist." We went through over 20 auditions, and man I've seen almost every type of singer character, from soulless, voiceless kids who want to be in a band, to people who had a voice but were in the wrong style of music, people who simply couldn't hit a single note, to people who show up with a great voice and great prescence, but simply didn't have the time to rehearse more then once a month.

We finally found the guy who really dug every tune we had, loved playing with us (he's a rhythm player as well,) and loved his voice over our music. Not only did he love us, we loved his input into the music. That's the right energy into the band.

That's what you have to stick out for. My band went two and a half months jamming instrumentally without a singer, and constantly setting up auditions -- I'd say I set up about 50 auditions through the course of it all, and I'd show up to the rehearsal space/try out and they'd call my cell:

"Sorry dude -- my dad just died!", "My Mom won't let me go!!!", "I forgot!", "I don't want to do it actually (10 minutes before he was about to come)", "I had to take my brother to the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!"...

There were so many more.

I could go on with all of the bull**** and annoying things we went through searching for a singer. To find the one that matches you perfectly, that can do your time schedules, that's your age, that's this or that, so forth, is incredibly difficult. Work through it. Laugh off bad tryouts after they leave. Never actually become hopeless. You'll find it eventually.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Damascus
intellectual, geeky, compassionate, empathetic..

one of my rock heroes....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Damascus
And there's a billion different valid forms of masculinity outside the very narrow, ego-rampant shirt-open dominant-male-monkey-muthafuka* form of masculinity you describe. I find myself agreeing with most of your posts (that I read), which is rare for someone who's 16 or 17 (or however old it is you are), but this comes across as a fairly immature manifestation of an idea of what a 'real man' is.

I obviously don't know Plant/Le Roth/Daltry/whoever personally, but given their public personas, I'd say almost all of them have a hell of a long way to go before I'd consider them well-rounded men as opposed to one-dimensional chest-beaters. You can be ballsy and confident and funny and sexy as well as intellectual, geeky, compassionate, empathetic...it's a false dichotomy to think a 'real man' can only cover one side of that list and if you can do both then you can avoid the problems that come with over-emphasising traditionally masculine values over traditionally feminine values.

Alternatively, feel free to point out that you can't spell 'empathetic' without 'pathetic'. Don't forget to roar and tear at your chest hair as you do.

*Who wants a cookie?

My friend, Right as you are- we're talkign about frontmen- Not men
In reality a man is not measured by his stage precense - but by his ability to act responsibly and respectfully so that he may enrich those around him- at least that is my opinion. Though eclectic, I still consider my stage character half of me, not the whole shtick

The whole concept I have of a powerful vocalist simply comes from me not really being able to get in touch with great frontmen in my scene- When you're playing in southern connecticut for so long, you really get used to the idea of indie musicians with a simaliar sound and attitude- It probably works both ways for those annoyed with a flush of musicians flaunting hard rock personas and overblown egos.

It takes time before you can really find what works for you.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
When you're playing in southern connecticut for so long, you really get used to the idea of indie musicians with a simaliar sound and attitude- It probably works both ways...

Definitely - I'm sure these guys'd annoy me just as much as any machismo-OD'd hard rocker. The other night I was chatting to a friend of mine about music and we concluded that one of the greatest things that could happen to you as a band would be to be featured as the next big thing on the cover of some magazine with the following headline:

"Radiohead: BUT SEXIER!"

I mean, I love Radiohead. To the point of obsession. And I'm not denying that they can rock as well as croon. But...man, I sincerely hope I can project a bit more sex appeal than Thom Yorke.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
my band just got rid of our drummer, were gonna have to find a new one soon...we have shows scheduled.
Im expecting that we will have to do a good lot of auditions to find a good one, but no one has shown any interest yet. we've never had to do any auditions until this point...this will be interesting.