Not sure if this is the right place, but it seems so.

Is it at all plausible/possible to have a fiction series on UG, that doesn't include guitars, bands, etc...?

Just wondering.

EDIT: Judging from the lack of response, I'd say the answer is no. But I'mma wait for a mod to respond. (hopefully).
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I'm finding new ways to make the same mistakes,
putting my dreams onto paper and then folding them into planes,
then I let them go because when in Rome,
I set fire to what I love the most.

Last edited by GSD N3 at Aug 11, 2009,
Sanford High does not include any modern type of music. It's based almost entirely in a classical setting. Unfortunately, that means that it barely gets any readers because most of the people here on UG are only really interested in guitars, metal and girls. Thankfully the fact that the main character is a lesbian keeps the kids drooling over it.

Ultimately this is a music website, so it has to be musically orientated. Other than that you can pretty much write about whatever you want. Just be aware of your target audience.
Alright. Thanks Colohue. That's what I thought. Didn't the last one that wasn't music oriented basically fail though?
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was one of the first batch to attempt fiction after I started. Put simply, people didn't read it, but that might well have been because the author gave up after the first piece.
That makes sense. But I had the strange urge to write something else one night, so I started writing something completely without music as the main theme. I put up the first chapter in my blog if you wanna read it. Otherwise, whatever. Not many people read my series either, btw, but I still write it.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

Since I started writing here I find it very difficult to read the work of other people.

I'm with you concerning readers as well. I write here because I'm working towards a novel form and an extra 2,000 words a week is more progress than nothing. At current the novel form is up to 24,000 words. Before revisions it was on 8,000.

If nobody read it I'd still do it. The first piece was terrible; it shows my improvement as a writer.
Yeah, I read some of the other people's to remind of the quality I should be aiming for. And I don't read your series, so I wouldn't know that for sure, but I don't doubt it.

My first part of DOA was terrible as well, but it does show progress, which is probably why I bother to post them on UG.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

Quote by Colohue
Sanford High does not include any modern type of music. It's based almost entirely in a classical setting. Unfortunately, that means that it barely gets any readers because most of the people here on UG are only really interested in guitars, metal and girls. Thankfully the fact that the main character is a lesbian keeps the kids drooling over it.

It's funny how your reader list grows when you write a sex scene though.

As I've said before, I could bend to the populus and write in some metal, but I simply refuse. If that makes me unpopular so be it.

As for writing a non-musical piece, it doesn't seem to go down well on here. It's a pity really. But there are loads of places that do. You just have to find them.