Hello UG. Up to now i've been using a very simple trick for finding out the key of a song, but it doesn't work well, especially with metal. I just look at the first chord of the song and that's most of the times the key. But it doesn't always work, and i'd like to find out the key of metal songs. I especially want to find out the key of Alestorm's "The Quest" .

What is a more reliable way of finding out keys? By the way, I said i would take a break from theory.. Erm, that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't for a few months :P
Just listen to a part of a song and try to construct a scale that would fit in, then review the notes you have and check the circle of fifths to see what key uses them. Also remember that a lot of metal uses harmonic minor so there might be an extra #.
the most sure way is to figure out what notes are used in the song, and what key has all these notes in it. of course, many songs will have out of key notes in them, so you have to listen and figure out which ones are just used as ornamentation and which ones are actually in key. Some songs may also change keys, so you'll have to learn to hear when it has changed.

and of course once you've figured out all the notes, you have to figure out if it is major or minor (or something else). that just comes down to listening and figuring out which note the song seems to gravitate to; which note seems to resolve the strongest.
Quote by robinlint
I found out the key of that song. It is F minor, am I correct?

I haven't checked it to make sure, but it sounds like F minor to me.
Quote by Gacel
nope, not always

the key of a certain music passage is the note that resolves the melody

I'm not sure what else I could say without addressing music theory
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In the classical stuff that I play on the piano (Bach, Mozart etc) it almost always ends on the note that is the key.

But I'm sure that isn't always the case.

There is ofcourse always the possibility of the song changing key in the middle of it and then changing back or something ^^
It sounds like F minor to me.

Quote by KoenDercksen
In the classical stuff that I play on the piano (Bach, Mozart etc) it almost always ends on the note that is the key.

But I'm sure that isn't always the case.

There is ofcourse always the possibility of the song changing key in the middle of it and then changing back or something ^^
Yeah, a lot of songs end unresolved, even on chords or notes that have a very strong "pull" back to the tonic, such as (in a major key), the IV or V, or even possibly something like the viidim.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 11, 2009,
maybe im wrong but usually i look at the notes in the first chord individually.