Alright I've been spending hours and hours poring over threads, youtube videos, and reviews and now i've finally caved and i've decided to ask you for your suggestions.

I am looking for a tube amp that i can use for gigging and home practice. My influences are heavily blues based, hard/classic rock style in the style of led zeppelin, ac/dc, etc, though i also play modern stuff rhcp, ratm, muse, etc. I am looking for that crisp crunching overdrive, classic rock with more bite and edge (van halen levels of distortion). I play some classic metal, black sabbath and iron maiden and the like, though i'm not really into the more br00tal metal. I would prefer a combo, though if it must be a head, i'll need advice on a cab as well (i don't know much about ohms, voltages, wattages, and speakers )

So far i've been considering the Orange Rocker 30, the Orange AD30, the Vox ac30, Budda Superdrive 18/30, and a Ceriatone 36W.

I'd love your input on these amps and I would also appreciate any other suggestions on more obscure/boutique amps that I might consider such as Dr Z (there as a dealer fairly close to where i live).

My budget is up to, say, $1250? And i live in canada.

Thanks so much for any input you might give m
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Go the orange if you want a head and cab
if you want a combo try a fender duelux, blues junior or a laney VC 30 which are all good
Last edited by Slash25 at Aug 11, 2009,
I played the AC30 with an Epi Slash Goldtop on Friday and had an Eargasm. Most amazing cleans I've EVER heard. Wow.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Any other input?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Nothing?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I also play Led Zeppelin and AC/DC style stuff, and I'm thinking about the Vox. Although I might get a AC15. I think you need an overdrive pedal to get a good Jimmy Page sound with the Vox though, correct?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I strongly suggest the Orange Rocker 30. Jimmy Page used Orange amps in the past (the OR series, I think) That shouldn't be the selling point though, the fact that it's got great tone should be.

The ENGL Screamer is another option. Marshall DSL series, Bogner Alchemist, Orange AD30?

Those Marshall clones (Ceriatone) are supposed to be brilliant, although I haven't been able to try one out.

You could probably find a Peavey 5150 on ebay or craigslist for well under your budget. It's not 'ideal' for classic rock, imo, but EVH used it for it... so...

The Hughes&Kettner Switchblade 50 is an amp to look into, particularly if you like a few options in your tone.

Koch make a few nice amps for midrange-gain material.
http://cgi.ebay.com/koch-twintone-50-watt-dual-channel-with-boost_W0QQitemZ250480857666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a51d29242&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The Laney GH50L head is worth looking into. The same with the Laney VC, LC, TT, VHR series'.

A Mesa Boogie F-50 or Lonestar might be ideal.

Those Budda Superdrives are supposed to be great as well.
Quote by hell_monkey
Alright I've been spending hours and hours poring over threads, youtube videos, and reviews and now i've finally caved and i've decided to ask you for your suggestions.

I am looking for a tube amp that i can use for gigging and home practice. My influences are heavily blues based, hard/classic rock style in the style of led zeppelin, ac/dc, etc, though i also play modern stuff rhcp, ratm, muse, etc. I am looking for that crisp crunching overdrive, classic rock with more bite and edge (van halen levels of distortion). I play some classic metal, black sabbath and iron maiden and the like, though i'm not really into the more br00tal metal. I would prefer a combo, though if it must be a head, i'll need advice on a cab as well (i don't know much about ohms, voltages, wattages, and speakers )

So far i've been considering the Orange Rocker 30, the Orange AD30, the Vox ac30, Budda Superdrive 18/30, and a Ceriatone 36W.

I'd love your input on these amps and I would also appreciate any other suggestions on more obscure/boutique amps that I might consider such as Dr Z (there as a dealer fairly close to where i live).

My budget is up to, say, $1250? And i live in canada.

Thanks so much for any input you might give m

The Budda Superdrive is a MONSTER of an amp. Get it!
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I strongly suggest the Orange Rocker 30. Jimmy Page used Orange amps in the past (the OR series, I think) That shouldn't be the selling point though, the fact that it's got great tone should be.

The ENGL Screamer is another option. Marshall DSL series, Bogner Alchemist, Orange AD30?

Those Marshall clones (Ceriatone) are supposed to be brilliant, although I haven't been able to try one out.

You could probably find a Peavey 5150 on ebay or craigslist for well under your budget. It's not 'ideal' for classic rock, imo, but EVH used it for it... so...

The Hughes&Kettner Switchblade 50 is an amp to look into, particularly if you like a few options in your tone.

Koch make a few nice amps for midrange-gain material.
http://cgi.ebay.com/koch-twintone-50-watt-dual-channel-with-boost_W0QQitemZ250480857666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a51d29242&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The Laney GH50L head is worth looking into. The same with the Laney VC, LC, TT, VHR series'.

A Mesa Boogie F-50 or Lonestar might be ideal.

Those Budda Superdrives are supposed to be great as well.

I've found a few Mesa Boogie F-50's on Kijiji, but i also found an f-30 for around $750. Is the F-30 just a 30 watt version of the f-50?
Also how are the marshall jcm 900's? I've found a bunch of them ranging from $600-$950. Most of the ads seem to make the jcm 900 out to be a purely high gain amp.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
The JCM 900, IMO, having only played it once. Was the best crunch Ive ever heard.

You know, the whole time I read your thread I was thinkin, "Peavey Classic 50?"
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by w0lf19
The Budda Superdrive is a MONSTER of an amp. Get it!

+1, it will do everything on your list and more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I could mod a Fender Blues Junior for you. To sound exactly the way you want to and with damn near any feature you want. [Reasonably ] Ive modded some before and am getting mine on Friday to mod. If you want a nice, small combo that can play well alone and bedroom level or compete with the big boys [especially likes SM57s]; then I can help you out.

-Nate
After looking over some reviews and youtube videos, I've been considering the Egnater rebel 20 head or 30 combo. That variable wattage appeals to me and the tone i hear from it is great. Plus it is much less expensive than the budda superdrive, $600 compared to $1000 +. Thoughts on the egnater?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Last edited by hell_monkey at Aug 14, 2009,
bump for edits
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag