I dont mean this to be a vs. thread or anything, just looking for the best option. Between the Ibanez TS-808 and the Maxon OD808, which has overall better build quality, components, and if i dare..sound? Will be driving an 83' JCM 800.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
tubescreamer

/thread
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
wilmearz, is that the "Sam Black Church" logo for your avitar?
Last edited by 667 at Aug 11, 2009,
I'd say Maxon, better quality and closer to the original.

Quote by soloXshredder
tubescreamer

/thread

Both of them are tubescreamers
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Maxon
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
I don't like TS style pedals with JCM800s. Idk, they just don't do it for me, they add too much mids and might make things a little nasally sounding for your taste. I still maintain that the best overdrive pedal for a Marshall style amp is the Paul C Timmy.
Quote by soloXshredder
tubescreamer

/thread
oh dear...
Quote by soloXshredder
tubescreamer

/thread

As I told the TS a few days back, an old SD-1 modded to 808 specs is probably the best JCM 800 booster there is because it's not QUITE a tubescreamer and has some bass loss, which helps to fight the boominess you can encounter with a mahogany guitar and closed back cabs.

I'll +1 al's Timmy suggestion as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 11, 2009,
Depends on what you find lacking about the tone, and what you wanna do about it.

Personally, I think the JCM800 sounds great, though the treble could be tamed a bit. With a couple of simple mods, you could add some focused gain in the right areas of the spectrum.

On the Timmy note, that would be a great OD that wouldn't change your fundamental tonal too much. I'm thinking of selling my Danelectro Transparent OD, which is a Timmy Clone, just don't have any use for it...so...if ya want...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Depends on what you find lacking about the tone, and what you wanna do about it.

Personally, I think the JCM800 sounds great, though the treble could be tamed a bit. With a couple of simple mods, you could add some focused gain in the right areas of the spectrum.

On the Timmy note, that would be a great OD that wouldn't change your fundamental tonal too much. I'm thinking of selling my Danelectro Transparent OD, which is a Timmy Clone, just don't have any use for it...so...if ya want...

Price. Nao.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hahaha. How much of my stuff do you wanna buy?? I'm still on the fence about it...Let me finish building the couple of pedals I have on my work bench, and I'll hit ya up aboot it.

EDIT: or PM about it? I always have a thing about selling my gear, always sit on the offers for a while, dunno why. I still ahve a set of Duncans I need to get rid of.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hahaha. How much of my stuff do you wanna buy?? I'm still on the fence about it...Let me finish building the couple of pedals I have on my work bench, and I'll hit ya up aboot it.

EDIT: or PM about it? I always have a thing about selling my gear, always sit on the offers for a while, dunno why. I still ahve a set of Duncans I need to get rid of.

I like grabbing stuff, fiddling with it for a while and seeing if it has a place in my rig. If not, I just try to resell it for as much or more than I bought it for.

Hell, if I could replace the OCD and flip it I'd be ecstatic.

Quote by forsaknazrael

I love the sound of the 800, just need a bit more oomph for the style im going for.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
ome to think of it, I think an OCD would be a great fit for this amp. Through British amps it works great, delivering a smooth thick drive. Among the best tones I've heard was running my OCD into a Hiwatt. It was fat, dynamic and with a big nice mid punch that sounded like all those classic British tones.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Just to throw it out there, how about the MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-402 Boost/Overdrive?

I'm considering one of these to throw in front of my JCM800! Apparently Slash uses one too.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Just to throw it out there, how about the MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-402 Boost/Overdrive?

I'm considering one of these to throw in front of my JCM800! Apparently Slash uses one too.

I've been wondering if that's any good. Have you tried it?

EDIT: Read some reviews, it supposdley doesn't sound too great.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Aug 11, 2009,
I've not been in any shops that stock it unfortunately, but there is a youtube demo of it and I think it sound's okay...ish. The MXR guy cannot play very well and it's eq'd badly in my opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMJcKSkuSk

Have you come across this before Gabel?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Hey, the Homebrew Germania Treble Boost, while not an OD per se, is phenomenal with tube amp drive. I would wholly recommend it.

Ah! I totally forgot about that boost. I tried it at michael wilton's home studio (queensryche, yes i'm bragging!), with an 80's 800, and it killed. The purple pedal right?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Chrisiphone
I've not been in any shops that stock it unfortunately, but there is a youtube demo of it and I think it sound's okay...ish. The MXR guy cannot play very well and it's eq'd badly in my opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMJcKSkuSk

Have you come across this before Gabel?

I have not seen it nor tried it. To be fair I ussually dislike modern Jim Dunlop and MXR pedals... Slash is an endorsee so it's probably more a case of that he has too...

If you want a nice OD/Boost I'd otherwise say Fulltone Fulldrive. I have one and it's basically a hot rodded Tubescreamer sounding less nasal and with more control.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by dcdossett65
Ah! I totally forgot about that boost. I tried it at michael wilton's home studio (queensryche, yes i'm bragging!), with an 80's 800, and it killed. The purple pedal right?

Yep the purple one

It's really amazing and surprisingly versatile, with a "Hi-Fi" switch (more drive, clearer treble) and "Lo-Fi" (based on the old Rangemaster boosts).
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Yep the purple one

It's really amazing and surprisingly versatile, with a "Hi-Fi" switch (more drive, clearer treble) and "Lo-Fi" (based on the old Rangemaster boosts).

I fear it would make the 800 super trebly, as it aslready a very bright mid/trebly amp. I mean, all i'm looking for is a a bit more bite and agression to the tone, but would that make it to harsh?

I played the pedal throug a mic'd 800, fed back to me through moniters, so I dont know what it actually sounds like in person. It's not really the brand you'd find in guitar center either.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I see what you mean. I had a Rangemaster clone and unless you crank up a Marshall (or even then) it can get REALLY trebly and spikey.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
I see what you mean. I had a Rangemaster clone and unless you crank up a Marshall (or even then) it can get REALLY trebly and spikey.

Well I do get to crank it up as much as I want, It's not a practice at home deal.

Since you are a marshall guy, how does the 50w 800 compare the 100w? I've only played the 100w.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Hmm I've only played a 50 to be honest. However I can tell you that you'll have a bit more headroom with the 100W and because of the larger transformers you'll have a bit thicker bass and it will also be slightly cleaner. However they will be fairly similar.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by dcdossett65
I love the sound of the 800, just need a bit more oomph for the style im going for.

Then you're gonna want a very transparent OD like the Timmy/Dano TOD/OCD or a clean boost for more gain like the MXR Microamp/BBE Bosta Grande.

Quote by Gabel

Variable input capacitor ftw.
Quote by dcdossett65
Well I do get to crank it up as much as I want, It's not a practice at home deal.

Since you are a marshall guy, how does the 50w 800 compare the 100w? I've only played the 100w.

The 50W is a bit warmer and browner than the 100W - a bit less punchy and less-prominent bass.

It's subtle differences between the two. I don't need the headroom and I like the thicker overdrive tone since the tubes saturate faster, so the 50W was a no-brainer for me.

Selling the orange ?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
For a JCM 800 I'd go with the gearmanndude luther drive. It's a very nice TS clone that is modified slightly for better top end and less compression which is good given all the natural compression of the JCM 800.
Not taking any online orders.
look in to the keeley modded tubescreamers, if you can afford it there well worth the extra cash.
I have a JCM 800 2204 50W handwired amp I built and i run a Ibanez Ts-9 in front and i love the sound. But I also did some mods on my amp to cut the treble down some and increased the gain on it as well as did some tweaking on the EQ section. I also modded my TS-9 some to be more like a TS-808. In all honesty most of these pedals will work but you wont know till you try them. Thats the tough part. I went through a few pedals before I liked this one. If you havent looked into some mods, check out schematic heaven or just google JCM800 mods and there some simple ones that you can do to beef it up.