Page 4 of 6
Dammit, I just love the song titles...

For some reason they actually make me feel slightly sad.

But yeah, every song basically owns.
Quote by Deplorable
Dammit, I just love the song titles...

For some reason they actually make me feel slightly sad.

But yeah, every song basically owns.

I know, it's like the song titles are telling a sad story
IMO, the whole thing is a concept album.

About some wartime (probably WWII) experience:

We're going to invert: a plane carrying troops inverts, and is maybe injured
Here, wait a minute! Dammit!: one member of the troupe parachutes in, the others insist on sticking together and try to convince him not to go, but eventually have to go with him to avoid leaving him alone.
We're going in, we're going down: The way down to the battlefield, and the confrontation at the destination.
Oh, God.: Some shocking experience, that eventually dies down into calm (maybe getting trapped somewhere, where they are forced to rest a bit and talk)
I admit it now. I was scared. As the title suggests, the storyteller is telling the other troupe members how he feels.
We were all scared. The others coming clean about their feelings as well.
Push it way up: Their effort to escape where-ever they are.
It's just a wide open field: They escape, only to find there's nothing around them that could possible help them or get them out of their mess.
It's bad. We're hit, man, we're hit: They're attack by enemy forces. All killed or injured in the end,
Amy, I love you: Story teller's last moments as he dies,
untitled: An epilogue to the story.

You can definitely feel elements of some story like this in the music. For example, in "Push it way up!", the music makes it feel like a real effort to do something in the beginning, but then there is a part where it feels like it gives up, followed by it carrying on - but not as energetic at first... just a slow push to get something done, and it keeps going; and it carries on as a slow effort, even until the very end, where they finish - suggesting tiredness.

I may, of course, be completely wrong, but I'll get a better idea as I listen to the album more.

As for Mr. Sharpe, it's been known for a while that the bald guy is not him, and by the sounds of interviews, it's not what I expected him to look like either. But neither is the real him. Practicing chops - not likely. He stated he has no real interest in improving his technical skill, so I guess the newer sounds comes from improved songwriting skills.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Sep 17, 2010,
Right, so after the hype I downloaded "The Discovery" which, on first listen, is really pretty boring. I'm willing to give it more time, but has this guy released anything better?
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Right, so after the hype I downloaded "The Discovery" which, on first listen, is really pretty boring. I'm willing to give it more time, but has this guy released anything better?

It takes patience, it pretty much sounds that way to everyone at first because they're not used to the repetitive ambient style.
Quote by WizMystery
It takes patience, it pretty much sounds that way to everyone at first because they're not used to the repetitive ambient style.

If you say so mate. I'll give it a chance; it just feels to me that Townsend is catchier and Meshuggah is heavier, and this guy's sort of nowhere.
UG FORUM
Quote by Sewe Dae
If you say so mate. I'll give it a chance; it just feels to me that Townsend is catchier and Meshuggah is heavier, and this guy's sort of nowhere.

I don't think it's meant to either be extremely catchy or destructively heavy.
Quote by WizMystery

When music takes patience to appreciate, it's far from masterful.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
dawww, I'm just shitting ya guys
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I got the map is not the territory ages ago and I love it.

What else should I get?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I've already started downloading the discovery.

I'll get the others later.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Just discovered that smiley, didn't you?

Nope there's just a lot of concentrated idiocy here.
That frog rolls its eyes at you.

all the time
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Whoever came up with those atrocious titles will be the first.

some one figured out that he must work with planes for a living(or really really likes them). all of his albums have to do with the sky or planes
he also found this
http://planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

its where cloudkicker got his song titles
Surprisingly good idea, but bad execution.

I might steal the 'last words' idea for myself and use it in a different context. Hmm.

TREEDIT: Conveniently, this also spares me the hunting down and murdering of this Cloudkicker entity, for reasons obvious.
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Sep 18, 2010,
I'm loving the bass. Seriously, you can actually hear it now! Unlike on...almost every release prior, where it was essentially nonexistent.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
21 Aug 1995. Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Flight 529: " Amy, I love you."

...that's pretty cool.
UG FORUM
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Surprisingly good idea, but bad execution.

I might steal the 'last words' idea for myself and use it in a different context. Hmm.

TREEDIT: Conveniently, this also spares me the hunting down and murdering of this Cloudkicker entity, for reasons obvious.

For never being to measure up to his blatantly obvious skill.

I loved the concept, and I loved the album. It's easily my favourite album of 2010.
At a first glance, I can see loads of potential in it. There's some haunting stuff.

Quote by severed-metal
For never being to measure up to his blatantly obvious skill.

I loved the concept, and I loved the album. It's easily my favourite album of 2010.
Oh, please.
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by we_built_a_tree
At a first glance, I can see loads of potential in it. There's some haunting stuff.

Oh, please.

Why do you have to voice your opinions in such...almost condescending, ways?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I rated this album on progarchives (5/5, and yes, I truly think it deserves it after giving it some thought) and couldn't help but notice his small exposure to reviewers on that site. I also noticed Cloudkicker doesn't have a single review on UG. Anyone care to share their breakdown of the album?
This is some really good stuff. I listened to a couple songs on the site and I liked them so much I downloaded all the albums.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Holy shit.

I heard Beacons and then The Discovery.

Holy shit.

The latter about 6 times so far.

I'm so glad i saw this thread today morning!
Last edited by unet at Sep 20, 2010,
For some reason I'm liking push it way up more than anything else even though it happens to have that 5 minute section of just one riff. Like I said in the review... I don't know how he manages to do that and still keep people's attention...