I'm looking to buy my second guitar. I was interested in a BC Rich NT Warlock (lefty), but half the reviews on the net say it's awesome and the other half say it's crap, so I dont know what to think anymore. I've tried it and think it sounds and feels great, it stays in tune even after some tremolo abuse (the guy at the music store didn't like me lol) and of course it looks good . It also has many features you would normally find on $2000+ guitars (neck-through construction, original floyd rose, ebony fingerboard..). I think the lower price is because its not US made, but does it make such a big difference? Another model I was interested in was the Jackson soloist SL2H, but I'm not even sure I like floyd rose bridges, so I dont want to pay $3000 for a guitar I would end up not liking. I was also interested in an ESP EC-1000, but I'm haven't found one I could try. Plus I'm not sure about the scale (24.75” scale guitars feel kinda small in my hands) and I prefer ebony than rosewood for the fingerboard material. I don't know what to do anymore!! Plus Im a lefty, so my choices are sooooo limited!! Would the BC Rich be a good choice? Any advice is welcome!!!
if you're able to try before you buy...any guitar is worth the price if you like it.

They get mixed reviews because of bad Quality Control at the factory.
Some guitars are good, some aren't, little stuff slips by and a low quality instrument makes it to a retailers floor.

So if the one you've been playing at the store looks feels and sounds good, then get it. Make sure you get the EXACT one you've been playing on the floor. Not another one in a box. Unless you take some time to check out the one in the box first.

this is true for many guitar brands. The quality is hit or miss. some are good some not so much.

Another reason for mixed reviews is just plain old personal preference.
No guitar, and I mean NO guitar is loved by everyone.
I think BC Rich is one of those brands that you either love it or you hate it.
Like the Strat and Les Paul. Most people either like one or the other but not both.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 11, 2009,
This isn't a dick question at all, I need to know so I can help you. How old are you?

Again no Dickery involved, I'm serious.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Im 21.... Does it change anything at all?
Last edited by jbab at Aug 11, 2009,
Ok, I was just gonna say if you were like... 15 or younger, then you would probably grow out of the shape, I've heard some stories about that...

I don't know, I've never played anything by BC rich, So I don't crap talk them, Just try, and if you like, buy.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I forgot to tell something.. The one I tried at the store didn't have the right tremolo bar, or the tread on either the bar or the guitar was used, because it couldn't fit completely in and it always went back pointing down when I wasn't holding it.
Quote by jbab
I forgot to tell something.. The one I tried at the store didn't have the right tremolo bar, or the tread on either the bar or the guitar was used, because it couldn't fit completely in and it always went back pointing down when I wasn't holding it.

That doesn't mean it's bad. Most people actually prefer it to do that. If it stays UP after you let go of it, it gets in the way of your playing. So most people like it to swing back down out of the way.

But there is an adjustment screw for that to make it tighter so it stays up.
Not sure exactly where on a floyd rose, but it's probably located on the Sustain block. You might be able to get to it by pushing the trem bar all the way down, lifting the bridge up. Then look at the sustain block, there should be an allen screw in there that you can adjust.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I find flutter effects are easier to do when the bar doesn't swing back down. In fact I wasn't able to get a flutter effect with the bar loose...
The BC Rich is in a different league from the Jackson SL2h Soloist. I know from experience that the BC Rich has crappy pups, my buddy owns the same guitar. If you're able to afford a higher end instrument- go for it

The BC Rich isn't a bad guitar for its price, but you can do so much better. The soloist is truly a high end guitar, and it has features and build quality that reflect that. You are comparing a $700 dollar guitar with a $1500-2500 instrument, so it really is apples to oranges.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL