Hi everybody,

I'm having a little bit trouble with my old Ibanez RG370. When I'm soloing I notice that my guitar doesn't have enough sustain. Could a compressor (like BOSS CS-3) or a new pickup (like SD) resolve my issue? Or do I need to buy another guitar (lol)?

Edit: My trem is blocked.

Thanks
marlos

Ibanez RG370GHWNS
Digitech RP6
Roland CUBE-30X

Roland XP-80
Yamaha PSR-520
Mackie 1202-VLZ
Attack SM800

Last edited by solram25 at Aug 11, 2009,
seems to a combination of many factors- one easy solution can be that your strings are worn and dull. Replace em. Also- the stock pups on the RG aren't exactly stellar, so i'd look into some alternatives. The bolt on neck isn't helping things in the sustain department either.

For now, change the strings and save up for a neck thru guitar for some great sustain
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
get fernandes sustainer pups of get a pickup booster pedal
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I think that I'll need to buy a Les Paul... 'Coz my Ibanez will never get a Les Paul sustain for solos...

Thanks
marlos

Ibanez RG370GHWNS
Digitech RP6
Roland CUBE-30X

Roland XP-80
Yamaha PSR-520
Mackie 1202-VLZ
Attack SM800

Prob your strings are old or you need a good set up. Also, try raising your PU to bring it a little closer to the strings.

My RG, not blocked, has amazing sustain. Although I do have aftermarket PUs, the stock ones still had pretty good sustain.
Quote by Richmanofaction
The bolt on neck isn't helping things in the sustain department either.

im not sure why people always say this. maybe if the neck isnt bolted on solidly or the neck pocket is bad then it will kill sustain. but with a decent neck pocket and the neck sitting right then having a bolt on neck wont really cause a lack of sustain.

not having enough sustain is probably more caused by having a light guitar with a non-high quality trem. i find lighter guitars usually have less sustain. then if the strings arent transfering sustain to the body because the bridge isnt great, thats going to be an issue. if you can solidly block the trem it should help. then work with pickup height so you get a balance of volume and sustain. and then turn your amp up. playing low volume rarely gets the same nice sustain as playing loud due to the interaction between guitar and amplifier.
i have the same issue on my IC200, which has the same pups.

new pickups would help. I think the guitar being a bolton might add to the lack of sustain also.
New pickups will not improve sustain.
New pickups may increase the level (volume) of the output, making you THINK it increased sustain. But it increases the level of everything, the string sound and any static noise.

Sustain is not created by the pickups.
If anything, sustain is negatively impacted by pickups. They are after all, magnets.
So the magnetic pull of the pickups will reduce string vibration, therefor reducing the sustain. Even more noticeable the closer the pickup is to the strings. So also, the idea of moving the pickup closer to the strings will NOT increase sustain. It will make it worse. It will sound louder (and noisier), but not longer.

Sustain is created by the wood in the guitar. Vibration of strings transfers into the wood (and the metal of the bridge). Then the wood vibrates, and that transfers back to the strings.

That is sustain.

The best way to judge how well your guitar sustains is UNPLUGGED.
If the note doesn't ring a fair amount of time when the guitar is unplugged, then there is NOTHING that a pickup can do to improve it.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
If the note doesn't ring a fair amount of time when the guitar is unplugged, then there is NOTHING that a pickup can do to improve it.

That's what I was going to say. Blocking the trem will help, as will turning the volume up (which is a lot cheaper than buying stronger pickups to achieve the same thing, as long as you like the tone of the curent ones).

A new nut/properly set up one may also help
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 11, 2009,
Thanks for your answers.

srob7001
Prob your strings are old...

Changed to new strings, same problem.

jonmo1
New pickups will not improve sustain.
(...)

I agree, they won't. So, unplugged I have the same problem. Almost no sustain. Body is made of resonwood.

pak1351
Blocking the trem will help...

The trem is original, but blocked.

Any other help?
marlos

Ibanez RG370GHWNS
Digitech RP6
Roland CUBE-30X

Roland XP-80
Yamaha PSR-520
Mackie 1202-VLZ
Attack SM800

Well in that case i would take it to a tech and see what he says.

Really hard to give you any other advise without seeing and hearing the guitar .

Or if you really don't feel like dealing with it you can ship to my house in Florida, hell I'll even pay for shipping.