Would a mesa express be a step up from a blues jr?
Is the mesa express more of a hard rock but not metal amp?

How can you get a good marshall sound with 2 channels for $500-800?
If the haze is weak is it because of the digital effects?

Thanks.
I have just recently gotten the Marshall MG100HFX, you can get it for around $650. I has 4 channels and 5 effects: Reverb, Delay, Phaser, Chorus, and Flanger.

The tone on this amp is pretty good, but needless to say, it's no tube amp... And if you get it, don't get it for the effects alone, because they are a little below par. Other than that, it has a decent Marshall tone, good volume, and okay effects. If you want a demo of what it does they have some videos on their website.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
The Haze needs a speaker swap, IMO. Otherwise, I think it's a perfectly good amp. It could be described as "weak" because it's slightly overpriced...

If you want Marshally, check out Traynor amps (particularly the YCS50 and YCS40) as well as the YCV50 BLUE.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by MonkeyLink07
I have just recently gotten the Marshall MG100HFX, you can get it for around $650. I has 4 channels and 5 effects: Reverb, Delay, Phaser, Chorus, and Flanger.

The tone on this amp is pretty good, but needless to say, it's no tube amp... And if you get it, don't get it for the effects alone, because they are a little below par. Other than that, it has a decent Marshall tone, good volume, and okay effects. If you want a demo of what it does they have some videos on their website.

No.

TS: If you save about $200 more, you can get a really nice Marshall clone from Ceriatone, that's one option you can go. Or you can try to find a used JCM800 or something like that.
Thanks.

I saw a used JCM 800 for $700. But I think 50w would be crazy for me.
I play 5w and 15w amps for home practice only.

How bad would a haze 15w with an orange 1x12 be?
Or something else? I will look at traynor and ceriatone.
Last edited by KBaird at Aug 13, 2009,
That was a jcm 2000 not 800.

Also my room to play in is 20'x20'.
The blues jr was my favorite for cleans at 15w.
Maybe something 15-30w?
what tone are you looking for exactly?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
You can get a JCM 900 combo for $700 - $800. I got mine for $600 because I am lucky.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
what tone are you looking for exactly?

I think marshall.....

zep, ac/dc, van halen, GNR, hendrix
Quote by KBaird
Thanks.

I saw a used JCM 800 for $700. But I think 50w would be crazy for me.
I play 5w and 15w amps for home practice only.

How bad would a haze 15w with an orange 1x12 be?
Or something else? I will look at traynor and ceriatone.

Would you believe me if I said there's very little difference volume wise between a 15 and 50 watt amp? I will say the JCM is the kind of amp you want to turn up loud so it might not be the best for you.

I thought the Haze sounded pretty damn good, even through the stock cab which is lacking a bit.

The traynor YCV50 or the YCS50 are great though, I personally think the YCV50 is one of the best amps for your needs in this price range.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Or you could be like me and get a JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/ a Randall 4x12 for 400 even. LOL WUT

In all reality, check out Traynor amps. The only reason that I'm trying to sell mine is because the aforementioned deal I got on the Marshall half stack. I'll miss the cleans, but being an Fender type amp, it didn't have enough gain on tap. The YCV40(what I have) is American voiced, ala Fender, and the YCV50 blue is British voiced, ala Marshall. They also have a supremely versatile amp called the YCS50 and I think you can get them for 700 new on ebay w/ free shipping. All that comes with a 2 year even if you break it warranty on the amp itself, and a 5 year warranty on the cab/speaker I believe. Great customer service as well. They've very underrated amps because they're made in Canada and aren't widely available in the United States. I'm going to hate seeing mine go. The reverb doesn't even work and I still cry whenever I hear those cleans.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
I don't know, I have only played 5w and 15w tube
and 15w and 65w solid state amps. 65 was garbage.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Would you believe me if I said there's very little difference volume wise between a 15 and 50 watt amp? I will say the JCM is the kind of amp you want to turn up loud so it might not be the best for you.

Your right. I finally get it now. Saving up for mesa 5:50. Played it. Love it.
Quote by KBaird
I don't know, I have only played 5w and 15w tube
and 15w and 65w solid state amps. 65 was garbage.

Thanks again for your help.

Most solid states are garbage, and for wattage, a 100w amp is 2x the loudness of a 10w amp, therefore the difference between a 15w and a 50w is not that much (regarding the earlier statement about the JCM800)
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by KBaird
Your right. I finally get it now. Saving up for mesa 5:50. Played it. Love it.

Check out the f-50 or dc-5. Preceded the express, generally considered better amps, plus, they're much cheaper. Gotta look used since they're out of production, but they are pretty sweet amps for the price. Great lead tones just like all mesas.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not