title

without metronome my tempo is steady to the point of being almost perfect

using it screws up everything. i can't adjust my playing to the tempo. ok, sometimes i can, but i have to be extremely concentrated and fail early. no matter how slow or fast beat is.

besides, i never count the note length (one and two and blabla), but my note length in relation to each other are always perfect. even if i have to sustain note for the whole bar or too, i hit it always at the right time

i can play perfectly to pre-recorded sounds, anything, solo over them, even improvisation doesn't sound off-beat most of the time. i play with other musicians with no problems, but have never played with a drummer.

playing with metronome or pre-recorded drum is impossible.
i'm afraid that one day i'll find a drummer and wont be able to play along
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Record yourself playing with your perfect timing and let us hear it. I doubt your timing is as good as you describe if you can't play to a click.
my guitar teacher says i have good timing.
btw, i have no mic, so don't ask
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
You really need to get used to the metronome, I had the same problems at first. Like everything, just start really slow using it. Its very boring, I understand, but in the long run it will be worth it trust me.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by Regensgeliebte
my guitar teacher says i have good timing.
btw, i have no mic, so don't ask

Truth is, we need to hear you to be able to help you. How can you play to backing tracks but not drums? This makes no sense.
Truth is, we need to hear you to be able to help you. How can you play to backing tracks but not drums? This makes no sense.

trust me, i play to backing tracks perfectly. i cant describe it - i feel extremely confused when i focus on the beat

pedals are stupid
Don't backing tracks usually have drums? It's half their reason your use them, so you can have a steady beat going in the background to help focus your playing to their rhythm and intensity.
If you can't play with a metronome or drum track then you're timing is not perfect. If it was perfect you'd be able to play with a metronome or drum machine. When you're playing by yourself or along with a recording you might just think you're timing is good.

Its like saying that you always know what time it is unless you look at a clock. Its that simple.
Don't backing tracks usually have drums? It's half their reason your use them, so you can have a steady beat going in the background to help focus your playing to their rhythm and intensity.

usually my backing tracks are acoustic guitar(s) without drums

ok you gave me a good idea - i'll try to write drum track in guitar pro to match backing acoustic and see what happens

When you're playing by yourself or along with a recording you might just think you're timing is good.

oh... why do i have to explain it all again? i play with other musicians, and i have teacher as well (and he is helluva guitar player who knows his job perfectly) who says i have no issues with timing
and how come can i play with recording and not understand i'm off-beat?

its not because i dont hit the beat with metronome, it just acts like pain in ass which prevents me from playing

pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Aug 11, 2009,
here i found a $2 worth mic
ok, i'll record some improvised stuff, but expect horrible quality

pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by Regensgeliebte
here i found a $2 worth mic
ok, i'll record some improvised stuff, but expect horrible quality

As long as we can hear it. maybe record you playing with a backing, then without.
In real life, you can't always be in charge of the tempo. If a metronome or drumbeat screws up your playing, you need to change it if you ever plan to play or record to a professional level.
Well, I'm not going to criticize whether it's possible to have good timing without a metronome or not, what I will say is this:

You need to practice with a metronome ANYWAY to become a better player, regardless of whether you're good at timing or not. A metronome calculates how fast you can actually play when you're trying to play lightning-fast riffs. You're doing yourself a disservice by putting your own timing/rhythm on a pedestal.

For example: What happens if other musicians are playing in time signatures that you just don't know how to play? Yes, you might be able to get right on the beat every time, but you might not accentuate on the downbeat. It's not always a big deal, but it can make the difference between looking like somebody who's just following along and somebody who looks like they know what they're doing.