Hi guys, right now im playing with a Marshall MG15(don't flame me, i didn't know about this site a year ago and i trusted the Marshall name, i know better now haha) and while its good for a practise amp, im ready for something to will really scream.

I play alot of metal music(metallica, Megadeth) and some rock(guns n roses) but ultimately i want a metal sound. I don't really have a price range but i don't want to spend tonnes of money, i would say that max would be 'around' 800-1000US$.

Current gear i have is a Les Paul Epiphone Goth Studio, Ibanez RG350EX and a Korg AX3000g(which may be getting sold as i might go for individual stomp boxes). I also have a bass guitar with a Ashdown 30W amp, could i plug my electric guitars into this amp without any damage/side effects(just as an option, that way i can sell my Marshall and use the Ashdown as a practise amp at home).

I hope the details given are enough, but give me some options. I want something really sharp when playing with distortion, natural sounding, big enough to play with a drummer and band and possibly gig-worthy. I keep hearing about combo amps not being as good and stuff about valves etc, whats that all about?

Thanks heaps in advance
used peavey jsx

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Yes, you can plug into a bass amp without any adverse effect.

What you hear about combo amps "not being as good" is a load of bollocks. The differences between a head and a combo are this:

1. It's easier to move a head and cab seperately, rather than to move one heavy combo.
2. A head and 4x12 will get better bass response than a 2x12 combo.
3. It's easy to mix and match a head and cab, whereas with a combo you have to swap the speakers...
4. Heads have the options for a full stack, which enhances your ego.

As for amps to recommend, check the following:

Mesa/Boogie Mark III
Mesa/Boogie DC series
Mesa/Boogie F series
Marshall JCM 800 (with an OD for Metallica)
Marshall JCM 900
Marshall DSL 50
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey VTM
ENGL Thunder
ENGL Screamer
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade

EDIT: God damn, I didn't see the Australia location. Your options will be alot more limited if you're buying it in Aus. Well, disregard my previous list, then...

Check out Bugera amps, such as the 6260, 333XL and so on.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 11, 2009,
$1200 AUS dollars give or take, im willing to go above that for something really nice though.
used engl

screamer, fireball, or thunder
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Raijouta

4. Heads have the options for a full stack, which enhances your ego.

I believe you meant enhances your penis size.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Ghold125
Take a look at a Peavey classic 30

I just looked it up now. Initially i thought the price here(1400$ AUS) was wayyy to much for a 30W amp, but then i read it was an "all tube" amp. What does this mean? Is it different to my MG15 Marshal in design?
Quote by Megadeth09
I just looked it up now. Initially i thought the price here(1400$ AUS) was wayyy to much for a 30W amp, but then i read it was an "all tube" amp. What does this mean? Is it different to my MG15 Marshal in design?

Haha yeah the Peavey will sound a ton better than your Marshall MG. Tube amps are also louder. The 30 watt tube amp would be like using the 50 watt MG or at least in that ball park. Not to mention the tone will be light years beyond the MG. I don't know much about the mechanics of tube compared to solid state (Other than the tubes themselves) but tube amps are definitely worth the price difference.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I remember reading about tubes and solid state amps, and the general consensus was solid state was the cheaper more inferior stuff. I definately want a tube amp. What about "valve" amps, or am i getting confused. Do tube amps have to be warmed up? I remember reading something about that.
Niceeee, im pretty interested in this now, gonna try and find one for sale from overseas(brand new), they are a rip off here in Oz.
It's not going to be worth it. By the time you would pay shipping+taxs+customs+imports, it would be the same, or even more. Unless you look used