I'm pondering buying a new guitar in the future to replace my old Washburn MG-34. The electrics are always cutting out despite being cleaned several times and I think I've had it long enough I can justify replacing it!

So I'm looking for guitar recommendations with the following criteria:

- only for home playing
- reasonably thin neck
- twin humbuckers, maybe single middle pickup as well
- reasonably cheap (let's say no more than CAN$400 before taxes
- music style is melodic rock
- some home recording using Guitar Rig 2
- locking trem (is Floyd Rose the only one available these days?) but one that doesn't detune when you replace one string or use the trem
- doesn't have to have the best sound, hence the price limit

I think that covers it. I'll add that I like the looks of Ibanez guitars (so I'm looking for the a typical rock guitar - http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=3182) but I haven't played any yet. I've not tried any other guitars for ten years so I've no idea what to avoid and what to target. So any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Last edited by stodge at Sep 8, 2009,
It sounds to me like you pretty much described an Ibanez. I'd also look into Jacksons, but the best advice would be just to go to a store and try a whole bunch out.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Thanks - I will try some out, I was just looking for advice on what particular brands/models/trems to avoid.

Thanks
Cort KX-5FR is versatile, well made and has a very good LFR trem. Should be spot on your target price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

take a look at the ibanez s series as the tremelos are better than those found on the popular rg
Check out the ESP LTDs in your price range as well, probably without a trem is the way to go IMO.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Cort? That's a new name to me! It'll be limited to what's available in local stores - I imagine there'll be plenty of Ibanez, so I'll try to check out the S range. Thanks all.
It is estimated that Cort make around 30% of all guitars worldwide in their Cor-Tech factory in S. Korea. They produce for Ibanez, Schecter, Fender(maybe Squier, maybe some acoustics) and who knows how many other brands. So why not look at their own label?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by DoomsdayArsenal
Check out the ESP LTDs in your price range as well, probably without a trem is the way to go IMO.

ESP have some nice looking guitars. Which LTD series should I look at? M? MH?

Which trem is the Floyd Rose Special Bridge? Is that a good one?

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_m.html

I think the Edge III is the cheap one from what I read.

Thanks again.
the floyd WILL detune if you snap a string. Cant really get around it unless you have a tremeNO or something like that.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Yeah I've come to realise that. What about say slight usage of the trem - will the Special Bridge stay tuned? Is it a decent trem?
Check out some Ibanez RG's too. I do not suggest getting a trem it will make changing tunings more difficult and they're usually really bad quality on low to mid range guitars.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
A trem-less RG is definitely an option - I'll have to sit down and play one for a while. Thanks
What about a Godin? I've been looking into them and they look pretty versatile, especially the LG HB.. Gonna go try one out on Sunday. They have the Redline series if you need something more metal.
Quote by stodge
So any S series Ibanez has the better trem? E.g.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=3017

Yes.
I recommend buying any S series as they're all good [but the pickups may need changing as not a lot of people like them].
The S series has a ZR trem, which also has a ZPS system.
In other words, if you snap a string, your guitar will STAY in perfect tune.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Get yourself an Ibanez RG321MH. It is a great guitar for the price and it has a fixed bridge, so no tuning probs there.
Played an Ibanez S320 today - nice guitar. THe setup was dreadful - I was astonished a shop would try to sell guitars based on setups that bad. But the guitar was nice - couldn't try the trem as there was no bar on it. But the pickups were probably good enough, the neck was good and it felt decent.

Also played an Ibanez 1570 But it had the ZR trem - I thought it was supposed to have the Floyd Rose?
Well no floating will not go out of tune if you replace/snap a string, it declines against the way they're built. For ones that are fairly solid I'd look at the ibanez S series if i were you.
Quote by ziggymidget
For ones that are fairly solid I'd look at the ibanez S series if i were you.

Already am - played one today.