|-----------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|-----------------------|
|-15-15---15-10-10---10-|-12-12---12-14-14---14-|-12-12--12-14-14--14-|-10-10---10-15-15------|
|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x---x--x--x---x--|-x--x----x--x--x-------|
|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x---x--x--x---x--|-x--x----x--x--x-------|
|-14-14---14-9--9----9--|-10-10---10-12-12---12-|-10-10--10-12-12--12-|-9--9----9--14-14------|
|-----------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|-----------------------|

That's just part of a tab I copied from 'Reptilia.' This text doesn't make the tab align correctly, but you get the idea of what notes you're playing here.

Sorry, I'm a noob, but how in the world do you play those notes? And is there a name for them?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
i think that is a major tenth, and you would play them strumming and muting the D and G strings or with hybrid picking.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
x = muted note, just mute them with your left hand to get a percussive sound
Ahh, gotcha! Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to practice this though
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
u make sure that the two notes that are crossed are muted so playing the 14th fret on the 5th string and 15 on the 2nd string (guesing its that way round) make sure the middle notes are muted by the finger on 5th string and strum!!
nice song,
hope this helps
I'm guessing you can either fingerpick the 14 and 15 and ignore the x'es cause they're going to be muted anyway, or you could fret the 14 and 15 and mute the x while strumming
The x's are muted or "dead" notes. The best way of playing them in this context is to use your 1st and 3rd fingers. You want to position your 1st finger as if playing a bar chord across the d and g strings. However don't press down on the d and g strings at all, just rest your barred finger across them enough to give it that deadened sound. Then all you need to do is strum like you are hitting a big chord.
Last edited by d3adh3adch3mist at Aug 11, 2009,
They are called major 3rds and minor 3rds

x
x
14 is a minor 3rd

x
x
10 is a major 3rd
Quote by downey17
They are called major 3rds and minor 3rds

x
x
14 is a minor 3rd

x
x
10 is a major 3rd

no,

-12-
-14- would be a minor third

-13-
-14- would be a major third

because there is over an octave difference the notes are major/minor tenths, although its probably just harmonized diatonic tenths where some notes end up major other minor because of the order of notes in the scale

EDIT: also, what you tabbed is completely wrong unless you meant for the lowest line to be an A string rather than an E string, because atm you have a major tenth (major 3rd + octave) and a perfect eleventh (perfect fourth + octave).

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Aug 11, 2009,