(sorry if this is in the wrong section, i thought it'd be appropiate here)

Everytime im playing bass for a long amount of time or in a set with bands, i always get horrible pains in my wrists. Its usually around 4/5 songs or 30 minutes of playing. I was talking to a friend and they recommended wrist supports.
I play bass primarily with a pick at waist height. The problem is occuring in both wrists as well. When i get the pains i do stop playing and cant play for a while, i usually leave it a few hours or even a day. I also have a warm-up before i play as well.

So my question is if anyone could recommend any? or is it worth getting them at all? if so, does anyone have any other methods?

Thanks In Advcance,
KieronC07
Keep adjusting the strap on your bass and moving your anchor until you find a position that doesn't strain you.
before investing in wrist supports, try finding a more comfortable playing position.
this is the most comfortable playing position for me. it doesnt strain me at all. thanks for the advice. but can anyone recommend anything?

KieronC07
I really would recommend looking at your technique.
Apart from that, what about using one of those medical bandages and wrapping it securely around your wrist? (not too tight though )
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 11, 2009,
the thing is its whenever im playing bass. be it with pick or fingers im still getting the same problems.
i was looking at that idea of the bandage but i want something that i could use in the long run.

KieronC07
look good actually, problem is i really need them by thursday/friday, saturday at the latest. so preferably from a UK company. Thanks anyway. im looking on google myself but just cant find anything.

KieronC07
Quote by KieronC07
this is the most comfortable playing position for me. it doesnt strain me at all. thanks for the advice. but can anyone recommend anything?

KieronC07

Yes. but if its causing strain issues, its not really the most comfortable position for you, is it?

I would look at my technique. Make sure your plucking hand is not in a death grip hold and that your body is not tense when playing. Move that strap up a bit and point the headstock up at an angle. Wrist supports are only going to help you so far, you are just delaying the pain for another day if your playing style is causing you issues.
never really though about it like that tbh. ill take a look at that tomorrow. but i would want the wrist supports to help lessen the strains as well, not use them as the only source of reliving the pain.

KieronC07
try loosening your grip on the bass. we all get caught up in the moment of of a song, and start pounding the strings and gripping down on the fretboard trying to get more volume or feel. let the amp control your volume, and your fingers control the feel. your simply playing too hard, and your wrists and forearms are paying the price. practice will solve the need for wrist supports.
Quote by KieronC07
never really though about it like that tbh. ill take a look at that tomorrow. but i would want the wrist supports to help lessen the strains as well, not use them as the only source of reliving the pain.

KieronC07

I think everyone's point (and mine as well) is that there shouldn't be pain in the first place. Before you reach the point of using wrist braces, reexamine your technique and do some of the things we have suggested here.

Being in the IT field and a musician for a few years, I have seen too many people try to self cure using wrist braces for issues that if they changed their daily habits or techniques in a very minor way the issue eventually resolves itself. If changing your technique does not resolve the issue, go see a physio / physical therapist or a doctor.

And honestly...I'm being a nudgy mom for your own good . My husband went through carpal tunnel surgery and I don't want to see anyone else have to go through that unnecessarily.
Quote by anarkee
I'm being a nudgy mom for your own good

You do look after us
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Anarkee: thanks a lot, ive finally seen what you are getting at lol. I really dont wanna go through surgery or anything and i know that a few friends suffer with similar problems.

Anyways, i had a practise today with a more comfortable position and i had a much lkess amount of pain. However, there was still a little bit but i think this may just while im adjusting to this position. I have found some wrist supports anyway which i may consider using next time a play to see if that will make a difference.

Thanks A Lot Everyone,
KieronC07