I got an old DC 5 and it's a great amp but lacks any sort of visual appeal so I decided to recover it and because I've never seen a recover thread on UG I thought I'd put one up.

I didn't take any before shots of the amp but for those who don't know it's just plain ol' black.

1st I took off the hardware and old tolex.

I used the old skin as a template rough cut the new tolex. I cut the new tolex oversized "just in case"

Then it was just a matter of wrapping the new tolex around the amp, cutting off the excess, and adding the hardware back to the amp.

Not taking any online orders.
lol. That looks kinda cool.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a DC-3 and DC-5 combo besides wattage?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Did you have any problems getting the adhesive off or was that not an issue? I ask because I'm re-covering a practise amp and this thing has the goopiest, grippiest adhesive I've ever seen.

I like the snakeskin, looks good.
Quote by apak
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a DC-3 and DC-5 combo besides wattage?

Don't know exactly. The DC 3 has less wattage and a bigger midrange due to it's output tubes but other than than I'm not sure.

Quote by Axelotl
Did you have any problems getting the adhesive off or was that not an issue? I ask because I'm re-covering a practise amp and this thing has the goopiest, grippiest adhesive I've ever seen.

I like the snakeskin, looks good.

I took the adhesive off with a cabinet scraper instead of sandpaper. Using a scraper it was no problem to get off but I can imagine it would have been a real pain had I tried to sand it off.

Quote by Metalhead_28
Man I fehking love snakeskin. I hope you have a snakeskin guitar to go with it.

Sadly, I don't have any snakeskin guitars.
That looks fecking awesome, you've done a great job on my old Boogie! DC-5s are probably one of the ugliest amps ever made....but not this one.

I'm thinking of recovering your Dirty Box Of Fun in fluffy pink fabric
^then you will need one of these to go with it.

I still want to replace the handle too but nobody makes a handle like the one I want so I'm going to have to go belt shopping for something in black leather with silver rivets that I can cut down and stitch together.

Then all I'll have left is to finish tracking down the reverb problems. I'm pretty sure it's a broken relay but there is soooooo much stuff inside this amp and having never worked on a channel switching amp it makes it all very difficult to track. Mesa is going to walk me through it as soon as I can find time to make a call. Mesa is really great for customer service!
Quote by CorduroyEW
I took the adhesive off with a cabinet scraper instead of sandpaper. Using a scraper it was no problem to get off but I can imagine it would have been a real pain had I tried to sand it off.(

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.