Page 1 of 5
If this is illegal, I'll close it, or if there is another thread on this already I will close this (just didn't know how to search for this). I was wondering, how do you all explain your love for metal to somebody that doesn't listen to it, now, I don't want this to turn into an episode of Hamlet with everyone running around like Ophelia shouting that the world doesn't understand me, and I hate everyone! No, I want to have an actual discussion on how you describe metal to someone that doesn't know what it is; why do you listen to it, what is it that is alluring about a thirty year old sweaty man screaming about Satan Or Santa or fukking garden gnomes.

This stems from my girlfriend and I having a discussion about Ashes Against the Grain and all of my music really, she said that she loved the music for Ashes and most of the music that I listen to, but she thinks screaming/growling, whatever is retarded as I'm sure most of you have experienced. I tried explaining to her, but none of it was getting through, so yeah thoughts on how you describe your listening experiences, why do you like said metal?

ARTICULATE!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I tell people that everything in life comes as a duality. There is the sun and the moon, the day and the night, good and evil, etc. Similarly in music, the duality comes as beauty and brutality. I tell them that to get the full picture and be completely understanding of everything, one must appreciate both beauty and brutality. Metal in this case is the brutality.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I couldnt explain to someone of non-metalized blood how my metal brain ov death works. I wouldnt know where to start! However, if they are queasy about the screaming/growling element of metal, I give them recs for heavy metal and the likes.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
It's the pinical of musical dedication and talent. It's music that has substance in it and i can't settle for something less.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
I don't know, really.... I'm never really faced with this question.

Like, if I do listen to something that isn't in the mainstream line of sight, and is heavy and/or metal, I think the most I've ever been asked is, "How do you listen to this?"

And I just say, "I just like it. Why do you listen to the stuff you listen to?"

They usually just say, "I just like it", or the equivalent. I think I might have had to explain it a few times, but it's never some bumbling fool who takes it to that point. The people who ask usually have an interest in knowing why, but the people who couldn't care less just leave it at "I like it."

Man, this thread REALLY got me thinking about how much people don't ask me this, and I think it's weird that more people don't.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Sheepbane
It's the pinical of musical dedication and talent. It's music that has substance in it and i can't settle for something less.

You really think that? Its obviously down to opinion, but In The Sign of Evil and Satanic Rites are hardly the pinnacle of musical dedication and talent!! Also, about substance - not always true. Good old brainless metal is a fucking godsend at times.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
your not going to find musical dedication like this in **** like pop punk.
The only genere's that have such an enmass of musicians that show dedication is jazz and blues.
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Like with any other music, there isn't one specific reason, and to describe only 1 reason would be giving a half-assed answer.

Some of it is the cathartic qualities, some of it is the adrenaline, some of it is the anger outlet, some of it is because it's just plain fun, some of it is the fact that it just sounds really good, and so on.

If someone would ask me why I like metal, I would say that I have no idea, but I do like it quite a bit.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
When someone says "How do you listen to that stuff?" I say "With my ears."

Or I just tell them that growls are like any other vocal style and it's a different way to acheive atmosphere.
Quote by Sheepbane
your not going to find musical dedication like this in **** like pop punk.
The only genere's that have such an enmass of musicians that show dedication is jazz and blues.

Exactly what is your idea of "musical dedication"?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by Inimical
When someone says "How do you listen to that stuff?" I say "With my ears."

Or I just tell them that growls are like any other vocal style and it's a different way to acheive atmosphere.

WHOAAA!!! Your avatar... I just found that picture the other day and posted it in the Self-Fellatio thread. Awesome!
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by dead-fish
Exactly what is your idea of "musical dedication"?

People who put the time in to acctually learn to properly play their instraments. People who compose a song and dont just play 4 chords and think it does the job. I just can't stand all this disposable music that comes out these days.
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Its hard to explain to anyone why I like it, or how I listen to it.

I like it because it can cram alot of emotion and atmosphere along with musicianship and technicality into a 4 minute package better than pretty much any other genre of music. The growls or whatever are basically another instrument. I don't care that I "can't understand anything they say" because I hate douchebag lyricists who get up their own ass about how deep they are.
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
I say it's because I can appreciate the technical ability that the musicians have and yes, it's a preference thing regarding the vocals, but it takes as much skill to growl/scream well as it does to sing well, just a different type of skill.
Quote by Sheepbane
People who put the time in to acctually learn to properly play their instraments. People who compose a song and dont just play 4 chords and think it does the job. I just can't stand all this disposable music that comes out these days.

Iron Maiden uses all of 4 chords in most of their songs. Does it make them ghey?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
i tell people that i like listening to angry music, except in really complex ways and often comparing the feeling of the music to the 'incarcerated emotions locked inside pop music' so that they don't know what I'm saying, i don't know what I'm saying and everyone gives up listening.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
People don't really ask that question to me. I try to explain that gutteral vocals are just another style of singing, but they still don't understand. I usually respond a bit like this:

If gutteral vocals aren't singing because you're fav. artists don't use that style, is opera style not singing then.

I tend to dismiss and ignore such people though
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Quote by darkstar2466
Iron Maiden uses all of 4 chords in most of their songs. Does it make them ghey?

makes them old. music evolves with time.
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane

C'mon, don't be a goddamn idiot

As for me, I've never really had to explain why I like metal, just like I've never had to explain why I like any other music genre either
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yeah, I was trying to explain to her that it's the atmosphere that metal creates, it's this little microcosm that you dwell in and where you can experience everything, metal covers all sides of the emotional spectrum in my opinion. If you want to smash things listen to Death or Thrash, if you want to be in Scandinavian countries listen to Black or folk or listen to them for cathartic purposes as Dead-Fish put it. Metal to me just contains a plethora of raw and visceral emotions that can only conveyed through black metal shrieks and Tardy's RAWRHGHLAYRS! It's really hard to pin point a simple reason as DeadFish put simply because to do that would be to explain why one enjoys sounds which would be virtually impossible, but when describing metal it's just that overwhelming feeling that totally kicks your ass like nothing else can when you put an album like This Godless Endeavor, Focus, or Blood Fire Death, it's just that darker side of the human psyche that it taps into that everyone is interested in, I don't know, I'm rambling, but thanks for at least taking the time to answer.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
maybe i missed a full stop, but that was 3 sentences, to the virtuoso

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Why is it with these threads that people bring up technical ability? Metal does not need technicality to compose good songs, but its good when its done tastefully.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I'd also like to add that while I don't listen to metal just for the purpose of non-conformity, it does feel nice tobe a little more unique than the abercrombie douches all around me

EDIT: ^personally I think composition is more important than technicality. So what if your tap sweeping with your tounge, if the song is poorly written it doesnt matter
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
Last edited by Killcount at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by metallicafan616
maybe i missed a full stop, but that was 3 sentences, to the virtuoso

Haha, sorry I just like using commas and semi colons a lot; English major, I hate periods.

Quote by Stranglehold
Why is it with these threads that people bring up technical ability? Metal does not need technicality to compose good songs, but its good when its done tastefully.

Agreed, I mean I appreciate technicality in music because I play an instrument, but a " four chord" song can be just as moving and important as a 300 chord song that changes tempo every two seconds. Listen to A Celebration for the Death of Man, it's probably no more than six chords all stemming from A Minor I believe, which is the most basic key, but it still kicks ass. Technicality does not equate greatness, just my opinion though.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by Killcount
I'd also like to add that while I don't listen to metal just for the purpose of non-conformity, it does feel nice tobe a little more unique than the abercrombie douches all around me

But a concert full of patch jackets and long hair doesnt seem conformist to you?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by darkstar2466

Bruce dickinson.
Quote by Sheepbane
makes them old. music evolves with time.

Jesus fucking Christ. Your arguments are more retarded than Down Syndrome itself.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
applejacks: we eat what we like.

I like metal because I can get beautiful atmosphere, adrenaline racing parts, and musical technicality all within one song if I want it.

and I know pop punk bands that re more "musically proficient" than metal bands.
Quote by Stranglehold

Hear hear

I prefer an extremely sloppy Nihilist tune over a Necrophagist song anyday
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Stranglehold
But a concert full of patch jackets and long hair doesnt seem conformist to you?

It might if I had longer hair and a patch jacket (or if anyone in my local metal scene did...)

The non-conformist thing is really just because it pains me to see white kids bumping soulja boy in their bmws thinking its the coolest **** on the planet
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Quote by Killcount
It might if I had longer hair and a patch jacket

The non-conformist thing is really just because it pains me to see white kids bumping soulja boy in their bmws thinking its the coolest **** on the planet

But its just an image....metal has an image too, whether people want to accept it or not!

Quote by darkstar2466
Jesus fucking Christ. Your arguments are more retarded than Down Syndrome itself.

Fairly harsh
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by darkstar2466

They use more then four chords dude...

Also, in terms of the whole growling/screeching, it's becuase it reflects the emotion of the artists when they wrote the song. I think it is used becuase sometimes singing really can't portray the feelings you have inside the way growling/screeching can. There is no way in hell I can listen to Dead by Dawn, I am the Black Wizards or Hammer Smashed Face with clean vocals, it just wouldn't work. It's brutal instrumentation, and the vocals have to go with it. I think that Agalloch make beautiful music, and although I don't mind harsh vocals in their music at all, I think they sound far better with clean vocals becuase there is no need for the harshness in there. The vocals don't really reflect the instrumentation or the emotions being portrayed, but if they were pissed off when they wrote that song then so be it.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by Kepulix
Hear hear

I prefer an extremely sloppy Nihilist tune over a Necrophagist song anyday

A sloppy Nihilist tune is a millions times more headbangable and "brutal" than a Necrophagist song played perfectly at 200 BPM.

Quote by true_bacon22
They use more then four chords dude...

Also, in terms of the whole growling/screeching, it's becuase it reflects the emotion of the music. There is no way in hell I can listen to Dead by Dawn, I am the Black Wizards or Hammer Smashed Face with clean vocals, it just wouldn't work. It's brutal instrumentation, and the vocals have to go with it. I think that Agalloch make beautiful music, and although I don't mind harsh vocals in their music at all, I think they sound far better with clean vocals becuase there is no need for the harshness in there. The vocals don't really reflect the instrumentation.

Yes, I brought up the point that the vocals have to fit the music; I mean drove her to work right now and we were listening to Our Fortress is Burning, and I told her, "Seriously, you can't just go *in whinny scene kid voice* THE GOD OF MAN IS A FAILURE!!!!" You have to scream it with every ounce of passion in your body to truly convey the feeling and meaning of the words. As for Agalloch, sorry but I think that the screaming suits their music most of the time, that isn't to say that I don't absolutely enjoy when Haughm sings, but I think the screaming suits the style.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Sheepbane

This is music. There isn't right or wrong here. You can't play the guitar wrong, you can't learn how to "properly" play it.

Also, a huge number of blues artists, whom you put on the same pedestal as metal artists, used no more than 3 chords for not only entire songs, but almost entire careers.
Quote by The Virtuoso
A sloppy Nihilist tune is a millions times more headbangable and "brutal" than a Necrophagist song played perfectly at 200 BPM.

Is it the "in" thing to bash Necrophagist these days?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Stranglehold
But its just an image....metal has an image too, whether people want to accept it or not!

then I guess I feel more natural conforming to metals image than the rich white suburban kid image
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Quote by darkstar2466

Yes.
Although to be fair, they are well shite...
It's all about perspectives. I don't really have much of a say whether or not someone will like the music I listen to, but if they do, cool. If they don't like it, and tell me it's retarded. I'll usually just say ok.

If she doesn't get it, she won't get it unless you get her to listen to it. If I could simply explain the feeling of metal to people, I probably wouldn't still be listening to it. It's a deep genre that ranges from killing babies, to making babies, to explaining life itself.

I don't know. You have to listen to it to understand it.

I just like the growling because it sounds wicked and is a good break away from clean vocals.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Haha, sorry I just like using commas and semi colons a lot; English major, I hate periods.

Lols, me too, though not an English major. gogo math + computer science (aren't I unique? )

Gasp, you misspelled semicolon!

as for this topic.. uhh.. what the others said
Quote by darkstar2466

Possibly, I don't hate Necrophagist, I actually do enjoy a lot of their music, but in terms of the music itself being heavy, I would rather headbang to some old school DM or Thrash than Necro; they just don't do it for me in that way. Now the solos on the other hand, well, that's a different story.

Quote by Lappo
Lols, me too, though not an English major. gogo math + computer science (aren't I unique? )

Gasp, you misspelled semicolon!

as for this topic.. uhh.. what the others said

Nice, well, I'm only going to be a Freshman this coming year, so I still have a lot to learn, but I'm possibly looking for a career as an English teacher, like Lord Worm.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Page 1 of 5