Poll: Do you play an instrument for your church?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you play an instrument for your church?
Yes, I play guitar.
25 19%
Yes, I play bass.
9 7%
Yes, I play drums.
1 1%
Yes, I play piano/keyboard.
1 1%
Yes, I'm a vocalist.
1 1%
Yes (other instrument)
1 1%
Nope.
95 71%
Voters: 133.
Page 1 of 2
Well, I've noticed that a lot of people here on UG play an instrument at their church. There was a poll about it in the bass forum, and I was curious as to how many people in the Pit in general play an instrument for their church service.
I'm guessing the majority of UGers don't go to church
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Glass_Skin
I stand outside churches and yell Raining Blood's lyrics.

Does that count?

lolololol you're so funny!!!

I used to play guitar or bass every wednesday for my youth group.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I play bass occasionally since no one in the ****in' world plays bass.
I play guitar and bass at church. I myself am not a Christian nor am I religious, but I was raised religiously in a family ran church and they need musicians.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by Ghast

that's not true. there are plenty of losers
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
i went with 'Yes (other instrument)' because i used to play guitar and bass (there wasn't an option for both) but am now the sound guy.
I have been to church for 16 years and never seen any bands play just people singing, horribly. What are bands at church like? What type of music do the play?
i dont, but i would love to. the local congregation are fussing over the younger ministers wanting to change their piano/singing ways by adding guitars...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Ghast

Actually I have notice that bass has had a bit of a popularity increase in the past few years, but it's still criminally underplayed (maybe Im being a hypocrit because I play guitar.)
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Duffman123
I have been to church for 16 years and never seen any bands play just people singing, horribly. What are bands at church like? What type of music do the play?

3 chord songs with 0 complexity. Once I seen the sheet music for a song that we were playing and they had chords and notes marked out because they were too hard to play.
Quote by Venice King
that's not true. there are plenty of losers

People who hate bass are gennerally ...how do I put this...

Like that.
Quote by im not mental
i used to in the youth group band.

i'm not religious anymore though.

Being Christian is not the same as being religious...
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Glass_Skin
People who hate bass are gennerally ...how do I put this...

http://www.tasoeur.biz/images/2009/05/18/hermanli_by_rudy.jpg

Like that.

Asian...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN
3 chord songs with 0 complexity. Once I seen the sheet music for a song that we were playing and they had chords and notes marked out because they were too hard to play.

Not necessarily, that must be a terrible example, our guitarist generally throws out at least 3 solos per song, and comes up with his own riffs based on the chords. The chords themselves aren't always easy either, neither are the rhythms, look up Dive by Steven Curtis Chapman, the chords are pretty difficult
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN

Quote by pwninator123

Oh dear...
Quote by Kensai
Asian...?

I meant insecure about their playing and possibly their sexuality, but that works too, I guess.
We don't have guitar playing at church because we celebrate the roman catholic mass. Which means guitar and bass and drums are kinda innapropriate. We do have an organist who isn't me.

So I answered no.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by rebeltildeth87
I play guitar and bass at church. I myself am not a Christian nor am I religious, but I was raised religiously in a family ran church and they need musicians.

Basically the same for me. I'm not Christian, but I just don't bring it up. I play bass at all the services, and I like it. I get to help the church, I have fun, and I get to practice along with a band.
Quote by Glass_Skin
I meant insecure about their playing and possibly their sexuality, but that works too, I guess.

I don't play metal/shred at all, I am happy with my playing abilities and I like women. Oh and I am not asian.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN

That's down to the musician himself; there's two guitarists at the services, one follow the chords pretty closely, as a rhythm gutiarist, and the other is very experienced, so he takes more of a lead role, with a lot of improv as far as the picking-pattern of the chords.

Btw, I can't even read sheet music (well, I can, just not fast enough for it to be useful); I just follow the chord names and the drummers beats, and add in fills based on octaves and the key.
Quote by pwninator123

Well if he's not religious anymore he's probably not Christian either now is he?
Quote by Trivium!
Well if he's not religious anymore he's probably not Christian either now is he?

Yeah I know I was like wtf too :P

Another person trying to create a loophole so their religion remains "relevant".

"Oh no I dont believe in religion, just life after death, a magic man and all sorts of incest"
Yup I play da bass.

To go along with the discussion of the music we play, some of our music is pretty basic (no accidentals or anything), but some of it is actually pretty interesting.

Also, we have an insanely good drummer and a damn good lead guitarist (he plays a lot of metal, has some pretty sick guitars, and a Marshall JCM900 half-stack if that counts for anything). He plays some pretty filthy solos.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by RobinTrower12
Do you get paid to play in a church band?

No, at least not that I've ever heard.
Quote by RobinTrower12
Darn!

That'd be pretty sweet though.
But I don't think most churches can afford that. Besides, most members of the church would willingly do it for free anyways.
No, but I know how to play keyboard so playing the church organ would be pretty cool.
Quote by Poglia
No, but I know how to play keyboard so playing the church organ would be pretty cool.

Organs are actually complicated as ****. The organist at my church showed me it, and you have to play using your feet (seriously, there's like, giant keys under the bench that work the same as the normal ones) and hands together, plus there was a bunch of stuff about lowering octaves.
Quote by herby190
Organs are actually complicated as ****. The organist at my church showed me it, and you have to play using your feet (seriously, there's like, giant keys under the bench that work the same as the normal ones) and hands together, plus there was a bunch of stuff about lowering octaves.
You have to use feet for piano too, where is the problem?

Anyway I know that it's more complicate, but at least I know chords etc on the keyboard and they are the same on organ.
Quote by Poglia
You have to use feet for piano too, where is the problem?

Anyway I know that it's more complicate, but at least I know chords etc on the keyboard and they are the same on organ.

For piano you just have like, 3 pedals. For organ you have a full set under you
Page 1 of 2