Hey guys thanks for taking a look. I am still fairly new at playing the guitar, as I have been playing for about 4 months. I picked up some bad habits but I corrected them with lessons from several different instructors.

For the past couple of months I have consciously tried to keep my fretting wrist straight, and it usually always is. However, even with this effort my left wrist (im right handed) still has a very slight pain in it. Over the past month or so I have been playing at least 2 hours a day usually 3, with breaks spread in about every 30 minutes or so. I have mostly been practicing scales and scale sequences, but ocasionally songs. Not too many out of position notes, but still sometimes some difficult stretches.

My question is this: even with proper guitar technique (which im almost positive I have now) can your fretting wrist hurt with slight pain from too much playing? The pain is very slight, but it is enough for me to put down the instrument when it occurs. It also ocasionally occurs when im doing other things non guitar related, not even necesarilly bending it but just mashing buttons while playing ps3 or lifting something even slightly heavy. It seems to me with proper guitar technique it shouldn't hurt no matter how much you play, but maybe it's just like everything else, have to moderate it.

Thanks a lot
It's good that you stop when you feel pain and that you have incoorporated breaks in your practice routines. With proper technique you shouldn't feel any pain playing for that long. However although it might seem like you have proper technique, you might be using unnescesary amounts of force. Try to be as relaxed as possible and only press hard enough to make the notes sound. Also remember to warmup and stretch before and after practice.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Yeah I agree, you're probably applying too much pressure with your fretting hand. With practice you'll learn to press lightly, and your pain will eventually go away. I suggest practicing trills and legato sequences to make your fretting hand stronger.