Your personal opinion on 8 strings. I am an owner of one and love it to death. I personally think sweeping and tapping on an 8 string just feels more fluid than on a 6. Maybe I'm just high, but those are just my opinions.
So, what does UG think on the subject?
i think they're cool as hell even though i haven't played one. i'm a seven string player and i can see how the 8 string could be beneficial in some ways but i think a lot of the benefits of owning an 8 completely elude me.

i'm sure there are some people who just think "yay i get a low F#! time to bring the br00talz" but seriously if you need that many strings just to be brutal, then in my opinion, that's a little sad.

but you may be right about the feel of the instrument when you're sweeping, tapping, etc. i feel like some of my 7s just play a little smoother than my 6 depending on the technique. maybe it's just that the wider board feels better...?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Never played one or seen one in person, but I would absolutely love to own one of the Rondo 8 strings. I feel like being a bassist would mesh into the bass range of the instrument and make writing so much more natural for me, as writing basslines alone is extremely hard to do.

I also feel that physically I would be more familiar with it, seeing as they're heavier, longer, and have thicker strings.
I've only spent maybe 30 minutes playing one, but I really like it, I hear it's hard to find replacement strings.
^ that's not really the same...

that's a different kind of 8 string. there's the meshuggah 8 string and the charlie hunter 8 string. (in terms of the style of the guitar, that is.)

i think the charlie hunter 8 string actually uses bass strings whereas the ones meshuggah plays are just 7 strings with the next lowest string.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Aug 11, 2009,
I rock a Meshuggah 8, not for brutality however. With the other two strings jazz and progressive lines develop into more intricate and unique patterns. Walking bass lines are also really fun with the additional two strings. I have a sub woofer connected to my stack as well so it can get pretty bumping.
Last edited by Progis8strings at Aug 11, 2009,