I have an old EMG 85 in a guitar, and we recently have had a few wiring jobs done on the guitar, and now the wiring itself is 100% perfect, but on the 85, wen u do the test by tapping it with a screwdriver, not all of the pickup reacts.
Does this mean the pickup itself is dead and only good for the bin or is there anything i can do?
Test it with a multimeter.
They usually iirc rate at about 8 ohms.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Because of the way active EMG's are constructed, they're unlikely to react to the 'magical' screwdriver test.

Wire the pickup directly to the output jack, so that it bypasses all of your wiring, then see if it works as it should (with the guitar strung-up, of course). The chances of it suddenly dying are painfully slim, so it's most probably your wiring.
i bought the guitar used and the guy before had wired these in, they are old pups, and he had dun a **** job, the 85 at the time seemed to b the only one which was working, and since then we have had it rewired and done properly and proffesionally, with the neck pup also working, but the 85 hasnt suddenly died, it just doesnt seem to be responsive apart from a small patch in the middle compared the the otehr active SA which is responding all the way accross
why don't you try playing it out of an amp? Or just yell into it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by AWhalley92
i bought the guitar used and the guy before had wired these in, they are old pups, and he had dun a **** job, the 85 at the time seemed to b the only one which was working, and since then we have had it rewired and done properly and proffesionally, with the neck pup also working, but the 85 hasnt suddenly died, it just doesnt seem to be responsive apart from a small patch in the middle compared the the otehr active SA which is responding all the way accross

Quote by -MintSauce-
Because of the way active EMG's are constructed, they're unlikely to react to the 'magical' screwdriver test.

Wire the pickup directly to the output jack, so that it bypasses all of your wiring, then see if it works as it should (with the guitar strung-up, of course). The chances of it suddenly dying are painfully slim, so it's most probably your wiring.

Put some strings on and try it. Stop hitting it with a screwdriver like a mongoloid.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Put some strings on and try it. Stop hitting it with a screwdriver like a mongoloid.

+1 A much more faster and easier way to test the pickups out.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Listen, because an EMG is a bar magnet, and its got the pre-amp, and all that other EMG stuff, the screwdriver test won't work, which is what Minty said.
So, I would suggest listening to Minty, and put some strings on it and test the real way. And, if you are still unsure, do again what Minty said and wire straight to output. That really is going to be the best test.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Actually, the screw driver test DOES work. Doesnt matter if it is active or passive, it works. Either tap it lightly, or just drag the screw driver carefully over the top. You'll hear it for sure.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
yeah, it does work. i just tried it and it produced an audible thud noise when tapped with a screwdriver. either way though string it up and play it before you rule it as "dead".
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Just to clarify:

I wasn't saying that the screwdriver test wouldn't work, but that it's incredibly limited for diagnosing whether a pickup simply works, works well, or is dying. If you're getting sound from it, your wiring is probably okay, but you need to string it up and play it to get an accurate idea of the pickup health.

Edit: Also, bear in mind that the EMG SA should be much brighter than the 85, on account of it being a singlecoil. AND.. mg EMG 81, 60, and 85 all respond quieter to being tapped with a metallic object than the passives that I own. .. so consider that.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 12, 2009,
right well, a few months ago, doin tests only half the pickup was responsive, after tests today with it , the whole thing seems to be working, and so ive put all strings on it and everything is all ok!, i still cant quite understand why the pickup would go from not working to working, but i dont mind too much as im happy to have it all workign!" thanks for advice