I'm about to get a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 with Duncan blackout active pickups and i need an amp to go with it. I play just about everything, so versatility is a big thing, but I definitely lean towards the heavy stuff (as is evident with my choice of axe). So I want a tube amp that is loud enough to play over drums but doesn't lose too much of a good clean sound with the active pickups blaring through.

Oh, and I want all this at a small price... no higher than $700 new $500 used.

Looking into Peavey Valveking and Classic.

(p.s. so far the most versatile amps I found at these prices are Line 6, so someone please help me.)
I wouldn't get a Line 6. They're okay for starting out because they're versatile but the sound of a good tube amp is far and away more enjoyable to use, although more expensive. I'm selling my first amp, a Line 6 Spider II, and just picked up at used Classic 30. This thing is magical, I love it. It definitely covers hard rock well on it's own and I've heard it do metal well with the right pedal.
Don't bash line6. The vetta and flextone are incredible and the spider IIs are decent. its really only the spider 3s that suck balls.

With a OD or dist. in front a Classic 30/50 will do metal. And you'll have the versatility to do lighter stuff nicely.
What bands do you play?
The Classic 30 can "do" metal, but in my eyes, only certain sub-genres. If you want to play Opeth, Gojira, Between the Buried and Me, etc. look elsewhere. I don't believe it will give you the tightness, compression, bass and preamp gain required for those bands. But if it's Metallica or Judas Priest you're after, it's ideal - with the proper overdrive pedal.
Nothing that heavy. Yea, it's more like Metallica, A7x, Bullet for my valentine. But I do love playing Pantera but i don;t know if i need heavy sounds like dimebag.

i'm recording some stuff for my band now and I need enough power to at least feel like i'm getting punched in the nose, not so much that my nose would get totally mutalated. but still the cleans r important, and i wouldn't mind also having a GNR/ACDC saound in my back pocket.

OK so between the Classic and the VK...
I wouldn't get either.

I'd suggest the Line 6 Flextone III, B52 AT-60, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, Line6 Spider Valve, Randall RG-50 TC, Peavey 6505 60 1X12, Marshall DSL, Peavey XXX combo (used), Bugera 6262, Bugera 333XL - I'd happily recommend any of those amps.
Okay here we go:

Bugera - heard they suck ****less - they have a serious reputation of overheating and breaking and just not working.

Vypyr - tried it and i thought it sounded fake like a line 6 spider III but i didn't really spend so much time learning how to use it exactly, i mean there's a crapload of knobs on there.

6505 - i think it'll be too loud and expensive for what i'm looking for, but i would love one.

Just started looking into the B-52 and the spider Valve though, and they look attractive, although the B-52 is real cheap, which kinda scares me
Definitely consider the Marshal DLS/TSL series combos. Very good price points on ebay and great sound. Can handle heavier stuff decently well. Headroom on clean may be a slight issue with actives, but I let mine break up a little for a nice bluesy clean sound that I love.

Do everything you can to play on some before you choose one. GC often has the DSL50 head, which is similar to the combos (EL34s instead of EL84s, but tone is almost identical).

Good luck!
Quote by yjeezy45
Okay here we go:

Bugera - heard they suck ****less - they have a serious reputation of overheating and breaking and just not working.

Vypyr - tried it and i thought it sounded fake like a line 6 spider III but i didn't really spend so much time learning how to use it exactly, i mean there's a crapload of knobs on there.
If you didn't like the Peavey Vypyr, the Valveking won't give you anything more.
The Bugera amps have been known to break down, but that is only a percentage of their gear. It's not to say you should totally ignore them. It's entirely up to you though.
6505 - i think it'll be too loud and expensive for what i'm looking for, but i would love one.
It's not out yet, but...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106
Just started looking into the B-52 and the spider Valve though, and they look attractive, although the B-52 is real cheap, which kinda scares me
It's about how you hear the amplifier, not how much it costs. The B-52 is a great amplifier for your money, maybe even better than the Spider Valve, which is more expensive.