More or less, yes.
Even if not directly based on, they will sound similar at least due to the EL84s.

Although, they will have their own unique sounds themselves.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The laney sounds a bit like an AC30. The classic sounds nothing like an AC30. The peavey delta blues sounds a little bit like an AC30 though.
I assume it's the price that puts you off actually getting the Vox?

If so, the second-hand market offers plenty of old Vox AC30's, although they may not be handwired.

The Peavey Classic is more of an American voiced amp, but it could well of been designed from the basis of the AC series.
The Laney sound a little like the Vox, and, once again, may of been inspired by the Vox.
Orange - the Rocker 30 and OR series - sound similar in it's thick, warm bass, and solid balance of tone.
Some may say Blackstar are also counterparts to a number of Vox traditions and voices. Namely a steady balance of tone (compression)
Boutique amp makers such as Matamp, are makers to look into. The prices aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for: supreme handmade quality and tone.

Many British (American and Europian also) amp makers were inspired by Vox. It's not to say they will sound the same, though. Sometimes, it's quite the contrary.

What budget are you on? What styles of music do you play (specific bands)? Are you gigging? Are you happy with the used market? What is your current gear?
^+1 The VC amps are much more voxy than the Classics, the Classics are more marshally IMO, although the clean channel when OD'n can sound very similar to a vox, the Delta blues is more similar though with the tremolo and all.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
^actually its not for me, its for my friend...
he wants a good tube amp, i guess budget is up to 1350$ but maybe not...

and the amp has to be loud enough for gigs, we want to make a band!

and we play alternative rock/pop punk... bands like Blink 182, a little bit from Angels and Airwaves, Sum 41, Paramore, weezer... and it would be good if the amp could handle something like guns n roses...
and i guess he could buy a new amp, but only if its in good condition maybe from ebay or something..
his current gear is ibanez gio and fender fm212r and some pedals...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would get a Mesa F-30. Quite versatile and has plenty of gain on tap for some heavy stuff if you want.

i was thinkin about buying a mesa, but not f-30, i saw a mesa single recto for about 1000$ on ebay...
and whats the difference between mesa rectoverb 50 head and standard single rectifier??
Last edited by scream92 at Aug 11, 2009,
I owned the Single Rectifier for a while - it was a great amp. You would need a cabinet for it. The F-50 may be a more apt solution, though.

Marshall DSL, ENGL Screamer, Laney TT50H, Peavey JSX/Triple XXX, Randall MTS, Bogner Alchemist, Orange AD30, Orange Rockerverb 50, Orange Rocker 30, these are all amps to look into.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I owned the Single Rectifier for a while - it was a great amp. You would need a cabinet for it. The F-50 may be a more apt solution, though.

Marshall DSL, ENGL Screamer, Laney TT50H, Peavey JSX/Triple XXX, Randall MTS, Bogner Alchemist, Orange AD30, Orange Rockerverb 50, Orange Rocker 30, these are all amps to look into.

ok
thank you!
Quote by scream92
^actually its not for me, its for my friend...
he wants a good tube amp, i guess budget is up to 1350$ but maybe not...

and the amp has to be loud enough for gigs, we want to make a band!

and we play alternative rock/pop punk... bands like Blink 182, a little bit from Angels and Airwaves, Sum 41, Paramore, weezer... and it would be good if the amp could handle something like guns n roses...
and i guess he could buy a new amp, but only if its in good condition maybe from ebay or something..
his current gear is ibanez gio and fender fm212r and some pedals...

The Classic 50 only barely resembles an AC30 but it would handle those styles very very well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments