In the $400 range, what guitar that is mainly used for distortion has the best clean sound?

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT: what pickups?
Slappa tha bass
Last edited by hootie37 at Aug 12, 2009,
If you're willing to go used, check out some of Schecters guitars. The ones you're looking at are $500-800 new but can go for nearly half that if you can snag one used. If you want good cleans, try to stay away from actives. They generally offer much more of a crunch but a bit less crisp for the cleans.
more like "what metal amp has the best clean tone"
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
My Ibanez S series has a good clean tone, and a single pup in the middle which is good for clean. Brad Nowell from Sublime used an S470 and they play a ton of clean. Yet it is an Ibanez, which are metal/shred mostly. (Herman Li used an S470 for like 10 years)
Quote by devit
more like "what metal amp has the best clean tone"

This. Your amp and you pups are going to have a much more profound effect on your tone
Quote by Killedelphia19
This. Your amp and you pups are going to have a much more profound effect on your tone

Okay then, what pickups that are good for distortion(such as EMG or SD) have the best clen tone(any price)?
Slappa tha bass
EMGs clean up very well. They tend to be hot, (active pickups will do that). Good clean tone though.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
i had a Dimarzio Super Distortion that sounded almost better than my LP's p90. the p90 is the holy grail of acoustic-like cleans for me. GREAT pickups. the super D isn't really known for it's clean potential, but i think it's great.

if you're just going to buy a pickup, and save some money, look into the Seymour Duncan P-Rails. you might have to get a switch added to your guitar to use all the sounds possible, but with the money you save you can have it done by a professional. basically, it's a p90, hot rail (like a single coil pickup), and (with both on at the same time) a humbucker. very cool idea, and i've heard the p90 sounds good, the hot rail is trebly (like a strat or tele bridge pickup), and the humbucker is hot (good for heavier stuff).

plus i think it looks badass you might want to check it out as an option
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by KingJustinian25
My Ibanez S series has a good clean tone, and a single pup in the middle which is good for clean. Brad Nowell from Sublime used an S470 and they play a ton of clean. Yet it is an Ibanez, which are metal/shred mostly. (Herman Li used an S470 for like 10 years)

I'm not a fan of dragon force but he didnt use an s470 for 10 years. Your thinking of a higher quality S series ibanez but not an s470. Guitar world teaches all :P
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I'm not a fan of dragon force but he didnt use an s470 for 10 years. Your thinking of a higher quality S series ibanez but not an s470. Guitar world teaches all :P

+1. He used an S540. I'd know, I was linked to him when I was buying my guitar from another guy.

If you can find an S540 used, GET IT. It's a really versale guitar that can do metal and good cleans just fine.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i had a Dimarzio Super Distortion that sounded almost better than my LP's p90. the p90 is the holy grail of acoustic-like cleans for me. GREAT pickups. the super D isn't really known for it's clean potential, but i think it's great.

if you're just going to buy a pickup, and save some money, look into the Seymour Duncan P-Rails. you might have to get a switch added to your guitar to use all the sounds possible, but with the money you save you can have it done by a professional. basically, it's a p90, hot rail (like a single coil pickup), and (with both on at the same time) a humbucker. very cool idea, and i've heard the p90 sounds good, the hot rail is trebly (like a strat or tele bridge pickup), and the humbucker is hot (good for heavier stuff).

plus i think it looks badass you might want to check it out as an option

What would pair good with that? Would an Invader?
Slappa tha bass
Push pull EMG 89Tw in the neck position.
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
Quote by Duke318

That.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Don't think about what pickup you are gonna get until you have your new guitar... you don't know what changes you want to make to your tone yet. What gear do you have already?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
Don't think about what pickup you are gonna get until you have your new guitar... you don't know what changes you want to make to your tone yet. What gear do you have already?

I have an Epiphone G-310, a Boss ME-20, running to a Roland Cube 30x.

EDIT:

What exactly do you mean by that?
Slappa tha bass
Quote by hootie37
I have an Epiphone G-310, a Boss ME-20, running to a Roland Cube 30x.

EDIT:

What exactly do you mean by that?

its a humbucker, but if u pull the a knob, then it acts like asingle cil for better cleans
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
if you like your SG an upgrade to a G-400 would be allright, and they aren't much more expensive but they are a lot better. Or you could give the prophecy line a look, they are very cheap for how good they are (at least I really liked them).

And from there on you can change pickups or w/e. THose P-rails look really cool. I have a JB/Jazz set by Seymour Duncan and they are amazing for cleans.
Quote by devit
its a humbucker, but if u pull the a knob, then it acts like asingle cil for better cleans

Yeah, I was just watching some demos of people with 89/81 setups and it seemed very versatile

EDIT:
Quote by Tedward
if you like your SG an upgrade to a G-400 would be allright, and they aren't much more expensive but they are a lot better. Or you could give the prophecy line a look, they are very cheap for how good they are (at least I really liked them).

And from there on you can change pickups or w/e. THose P-rails look really cool. I have a JB/Jazz set by Seymour Duncan and they are amazing for cleans.

A G-400 is always a possibility because I love mine so much.
I could always find a used Prophecy b/c theyre out of my price range.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by hootie37

A G-400 is always a possibility because I love mine so much.
I could always find a used Prophecy b/c theyre out of my price range.

yes they are a bit more. I played the SG EMG and I loved it, the satin neck and finish was great, and it was like 600 CND. the ones with the gibson pups are a lot more expensive though.

THe futura (which has the same specs as the prophecy series but isnt included in it) is really cool. Satin neck, you can get an OFR on it or a hardtail, and EMGs, and all less than 500 CND.

If it werent for those awfully ugly inlays Id have one.

Sorry its a little off topic.
Quote by Tedward
yes they are a bit more. I played the SG EMG and I loved it, the satin neck and finish was great, and it was like 600 CND. the ones with the gibson pups are a lot more expensive though.

THe futura (which has the same specs as the prophecy series but isnt included in it) is really cool. Satin neck, you can get an OFR on it or a hardtail, and EMGs, and all less than 500 CND.

If it werent for those awfully ugly inlays Id have one.

Sorry its a little off topic.

The Futura is included in the Prophecy series but is about $650 US so it's out of my range as well.

The EM-2 though is in price range from $300-$400 US.
Slappa tha bass
Just an FYI however, I know it's been said over and over, but if you have a very high quality amp, even the ****tiest guitar will sound great through it. A squire strat through my JSX probably sounds better than any $1000+ Ibanez through my Randall.
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
You'd be better off getting a new amp. If you need new pickups...

Get some moderate output buckers and let the amp do the work for gain, I don't understand the need for 15k+ output if you already have an amp that can do metal. Unless you've got your gain dimed, you don't need higher output pickups, and they certainly won't be conducive to a good clean tone

I know, crazy talk

Just get your blackouts/invaders/x2n/emgs and get it over with.
Okay, it's becoming abundantly clear that a new amp would be better, so I guess I'll head elsewhere to find recommendations on a new amp, but thanks for the help guys!
Slappa tha bass
Ibanez! /end
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73