Is it just me, or do 2 speakers in an amp sound a ****LOAD better than 1 speaker?!
Depends what speakers you're running...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its pushing twice the amount of air.

Therefore of course it's gonna be louder.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
In an amp like an 18 watt marshall, one 25 watt speaker would give you more breakup than two 25 watt speakers.
In an amp like an AC30, two 15 watt speakers will give you a bigger spread of sound than one 30 watt, but the 30 will be a little smoother and have a bit more bass.

Essentially, the question is irrelevant unless you have a specific amp and speakers in mind. Keep in mind that the cab size has a lot to do with how the speakers sound, and that a 1x12 in a big cab will sound closer to a 2x12 than it would in a smaller cab.
2 is a lot better.. at least with the speakers in ordinary marshalls (dont know the speciffics) i play through a 2x12 and my mate once played a 1x12 on a gig (same series) and the 1x12 felt kinda weak.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
This^
for example, if u had a 60 watt amps with one speaker, and the same one with 2 speakers
the one speaker would push 60 w through its only speaker
while the 2 speakers would push 30 watts through each speaker, and ur brain is tricked into thinking its louder, and u also get more headroom
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
forget about cabs i'm dealing with combos. because i fell like even solid states will feel better than some tubes if they got that extra speaker
wast talkin about cabs
just amps in general
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
It doesn't matter if it's a head+cab or a combo. The combo will be larger to accommodate the extra speaker, therefore resulting in a bigger and bassier sound.
Quote by yjeezy45
forget about cabs i'm dealing with combos. because i fell like even solid states will feel better than some tubes if they got that extra speaker

The same trap I fell into. I bought a SS half stack, 4x12 to make sure I had the power to gig on it (since SS doesn't like being turned all the way up). I have since bought a JCM2000 DSL401 (1x12 combo) and it sounds 200% better, and with 40W is both louder and clearer than the 150W SS.

I have not played on the TSL series 2x12 combo so I cannot give a direct comparison between 1 vs 2 speakers on the same amp, but I can strongly suggest you choose tube over SS if the only difference is number of speakers that you can afford to have in it!
thanx guys,

so better quality amp with one speaker or worse with 2 speakers

for jamming purposes w/o micing up
Quote by yjeezy45
thanx guys,

so better quality amp with one speaker or worse with 2 speakers

for jamming purposes w/o micing up

A higher quality amp (decent tube) will be more than loud enough for household jamming (and for your neighbors, too) as well as small to even medium size gigs. I'm talking 30-50W here. 15W will do fine just for jamming and even small gigs, and that opens up a lot of options depending on what style you are looking for.

No matter what you think might be the issue about volume, I can say from experience that it will be better in the long run to go for the higher quality option, as you can find a way to deal with volume later on.