I just recently purchased a MESA single rectifier off ebay. Love the amp, love the tone. However, I noticed that when tweaking the presence knob in "raw" or "vintage" mode, there really isn't that much of a difference in tone change until the presence knob is turned past 3-4 o'clock. Almost fully turned. When I use the presence knob in "modern" mode, The presence knob works the way I think it should. Full spectrum of tonal changes. I can't see this being a normal operation and I feel like I'm missing out on some tone shaping because of this. Anybody else experience this?
Last edited by jollyrancher35 at Aug 11, 2009,
Try the Mesa Forums- forum.grailtone.com =]
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Have you read the manual relating to their functions? Have you used an active EQ before? I pretty much turn down the treble knob to zero and use the presence instead, cuts back fizz at low volumes/recording. It can be a strange amp sometimes.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
i was actually thinking of putting an MXR 6 band EQ in front to try and get some different tone. I play metal but, I like Tom Delonge's studio sound from his triple Recs. I read the manual and it said that I should dial in my treble first because it's first in the pre-amp stages and I should then, shape my sound accordingly. But, the presense can't be broken because it works fine with modern mode. It's just not very responsive in vintage or raw. Very weirddd.
Last edited by jollyrancher35 at Aug 11, 2009,
My 10 band in the loop helps, I didn't like it at all in front. Try both and see what happens and then start tweaking (paper and pencil are your best friend).
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.